Terry Sawchuk Movie In The Works

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by sawchuk1971, Apr 7, 2018.

1. sawchuk1971

sawchuk1971 Registered User

can't wait to watch it...

Sawchuk on the silver screen

BadgerBruce and quoipourquoi like this.
  2. Killion

Killion Global Moderator

BadgerBruce likes this.
  3. DJ Man

DJ Man Registered User

Engineer
    Sounds like it could be a good film.

However, a few seconds into the trailer, we see him (or some other goalie in red and #1) in a goal crease topped by an arc.

I hope there's some explanation for this apparent anachronism, and that it doesn't represent the level of historical accuracy in the film.

4. BadgerBruce

BadgerBruce Registered User

Many years ago, I had the pleasure of working with Randy Maggs, author of the stunningly good “Night Work: The Sawchuk Poems,” when we were both faculty at Memorial University in Corner Brook, and I would be willing to bet hard earned cash that this film adaptation absolutely rocks.

In my experience, there is not a single person on this earth more singularly obsessed with understanding the ghosts that haunted Sawchuk than Randy Maggs. If his daughter has even 1/2 of the intelligence and passion of her father, this film will be one for the ages.

For trivia buffs, Randy’s brother is former NHLer Darryl Maggs.

5. Killion

Killion Global Moderator

Oh is that right?... Interesting. Apparently he grew up in Winnipeg & Vancouver, his father in the military. Long way from The Rock..... More here, in depth interview with Randy Maggs on the book, what inspired him to write it, of Floral Saskatchewan, Gordie Howe, the Detroit Red Wings & Terry Sawchuk...hockey in general....

... like the book itself, well worth the read... www.brickbooks.ca/an-interview-with-randall-maggs/

BadgerBruce likes this.
  6. dingbathero

dingbathero No Jam? How about PB

His daughter (Jane) is a great talent.
    Mark O'Brien who is play Sawchuk is also doing wonderful things in front of the camera.

I am looking to see what they make of this - as I do know them personally. Very excited!

7. Killion

Killion Global Moderator

.... :laugh: small world... or big reach here with hf Boards HOH.... interesting that 2 of you know members of the family personally..... I was going to mention that I wasnt aware initially when the book first came out that Randy Maggs was Darryl Maggs's brother... who some might remember as a converted Defenceman to Winger coming out of Junior with Calgary after being Drafted by Chicago. He was traded to the Seals however, left the NHL for the WHA where he played for 6+ years, then returned to the NHL in 79 with the Leafs signed by Punch Imlach who had also returned to Toronto.

Daryl Maggs had played for Punch's old Buddy Floyd Smith in Cincinnati who was now Coaching in Toronto, Imlach familiar with Carriere who had played for the Sabers when Floyd was Coaching there as well early through mid-70's, Imlach also signing Carl Brewer to a contract at the same time.... The rest of the team, the idiots, in full meltdown.... thinking all 3, Maggs, Carriere & Brewer were "Imlach Spies"... treating them shabbily, like skunks on a bus, ignoring them essentially, wouldnt even pass them the puck in-game if they could avoid it... just beyond despicable, uninformed & ignorant, no class whatsoever, Sittler & the rest of them. Pathetic.....

Darryl Maggs was only 30, the youngest of the 3, I do vaguely remember him though I think he only played 4-5 games in Toronto & was released. Retired thereafter. Same with Carriere & Brewer. Hell of a thing for all 3 of them to walk into & no wonder they all 3 walked right out of the game & into retirement.

grentthealien likes this.
  8. Jim MacDonald

Jim MacDonald Registered User

I would be very interested in watching this....I know I could look up the definition of the word, but I read in a book somewhere an author described him physically as being on the "lardy" side? I have no idea what that means, even though first inclination is "overweight" but that can't be right.......I also read he died under very mysterious circumstances...

9. Johnny Engine

Johnny Engine Moderator

That description of him referred to his physique comes from the period when he broke into the NHL, and also noted that he lost a lot of weight as he struggled with depression throughout his career. If Sawchuk was ever overweight, it wasn’t for long, and I’m also thinking the description applies more to his body composition than an excess of bulk - in photos from the 50s he looks more cherubic than the skeletal figure from that famous photo with all the facial scars.

Jim MacDonald likes this.
  10. grentthealien

grentthealien Registered User

It really is a small world. I’m from Newfoundland and for a brief period a year or two ago actually took singing lessons from Mark O’brien’s sister. Will definitely keep an eye out for this movie:)

Killion likes this.
  11. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    One of the top goalies ever of all time. Seems like he had a good back story as well. Should be a good movie.

Killion likes this.