Tentative NHL draft date - August 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
This was reported already. Straight from TSN:
While there is still some painstaking work to be done to get a completed CBA, planning has to be started on some post lockout events that will happen soon after the new CBA is reached, such as the NHL Entry Draft. Sources say the very tentative date for the entry draft is August 6, although that could still change.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=128189&hubName=nhl

Spungo*

Spezza said:
I'm getting married August 6th! I'm going to put Sidney Crosby down on my wedding list and see what happens...

Poor bastar.d.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
bert said:
Does anyone know if it is still guaranteed in Ottawa?

If somebody did, don't you think you would know by now? ;)

They did mention in that TSN article that they were thinking of holding some event in Ottawa (not at the Corel Centre, and much more scaled back, having only the top prospects). They also mentioned it could go on in New York too.

I bet if they get the deal done by the first week of July, they'd hold it in Ottawa.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Today I received a survey from the Ottawa Senators as an Ottawa Insider. The survey had all sorts of questions on the logos, fan support, lockout, the draft in Ottawa and would I attend. It was interesting as it seems the teams now want to know what fans think about the rules changes and other issues. It probably means it is more than just a rumour and they want to see how fans will react to that and all of the other changes.

I would love to go to the draft but I am too far away.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Wow thanks guys anyone else want to comment?

Well dont you think I wouldnt have asked if I had known by now?

I will defenitely be in attendance if it is in Ottawa. I think haveing it anywhere else would be a real slap in the face.

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
ladybugblue said:
Today I received a survey from the Ottawa Senators as an Ottawa Insider. The survey had all sorts of questions on the logos, fan support, lockout, the draft in Ottawa and would I attend. It was interesting as it seems the teams now want to know what fans think about the rules changes and other issues. It probably means it is more than just a rumour and they want to see how fans will react to that and all of the other changes.

I would love to go to the draft but I am too far away.

Can you post the survey?

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
bert said:
Does anyone know if it is still guaranteed in Ottawa?
I heard a report that it would be in NY via telephone conference (with maybe only the top ten picks showing up).

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Egghammer said:
Can you post the survey?

Here is the link to the survey.
https://www.ottawasenatorsinsider.com/insiders/Register.jsp
They wouldn't let me take it again so I couldn't copy and paste the contents. It was about five or more pages long. I know of another site (Ottawa Senators) where it is posted in entirety but I don't think I can paste a link to another message board here. PM if you want the link.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
bert said:
Wow thanks guys anyone else want to comment?

Well dont you think I wouldnt have asked if I had known by now?

I will defenitely be in attendance if it is in Ottawa. I think haveing it anywhere else would be a real slap in the face.

Bert, you don't want it in Ottawa this time if you are in the tourism and services industries in town. If it happens, it would be a really scaled down affair. Better to wait until next year, when the draft would again be a full blown event with all the picks in town, teams with desks on the floor, etc. I know it would be a tickle to have Crosby in town for the big event, but from a purely economic perspective Ottawa is better off waiting.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
HockeyCritter said:
I heard a report that it would be in NY via telephone conference (with maybe only the top ten picks showing up).

Which is really all they can do. It's unfortunate for the city of Ottawa but IMO that is the only option.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Holy crap! Do we live in the 1930's or something?? It's not like all the people involved in the draft have to come here by dog team or coal fired trains.

The NHL would be missing out big time if they don't present their newest star under anything but a traditional draft setting. Having Crosby in Ottawa would be enough to fill half the rink alone. Not to mention having the likes of Gretzky and Lemieux on hand. So there would be plenty of public support for having the draft live in Ottawa.

There's plenty of time to get something put together for the draft in Ottawa. No question.

buckyhockey8

Jun 13, 2005
Madison, WI
I'm not sure, but I thought what I read on tsn was that they might have a formal draft for the first two rounds, and the rest would be via telaconfrence. I would take it if I were Ottawa. If they don't they will not likely get a shot at hosting untill at least 2008.

Egghammer

Feb 21, 2004
London, ON
ladybugblue said:
Here is the link to the survey.
https://www.ottawasenatorsinsider.com/insiders/Register.jsp
They wouldn't let me take it again so I couldn't copy and paste the contents. It was about five or more pages long. I know of another site (Ottawa Senators) where it is posted in entirety but I don't think I can paste a link to another message board here. PM if you want the link.

Thanks for the link Ladybugblue :)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Exactly we dont get it in Ottawa until 2008 at the earliest. I dont see how the only way to have it is via telephone in New York thats just stupid, the nhl is in shambles they are not going to skip any opportunity to have a big event. The draft is the most important day of the year for all of the teams league wide, its the best opportunity to improve your team.

This is prolbably one of the best possible drafts to host if you are the city of Ottawa. The obvious reason being Crosby but the second reason is the player who is ranked second after Sid is an Ottawa area kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad