Ten Best Hockey Countries in the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Are these not the Ten Best Hockey Countries in this Tournament?

Who else could be better than Germany/Belarus/Switzerland?

Latvia may be on the same level as these teams, Kazakstan and Ukraine have also put out a few good players, while Norway, Denmark and France are consistantly getting better.

I'm not old enough to remember, but it seems like all of the Former Soviet countries are just starting to put together their own groups of good players who will play for their nations for the next 10-15 years.

Also, Switzerland and Germany are putting a bit more cash into their programs.

I don't think Hockey will ever have a "World" Cup like Soccer, but I think we are starting to see a bit more parity within our sport, beyond the top 7 nations.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Douggy said:
I don't think Hockey will ever have a "World" Cup like Soccer, but I think we are starting to see a bit more parity within our sport, beyond the top 7 nations.

How? All these countries like Belarus, Switzerland etc have yet to present any challenge to the top 7. There was that fluke Belarus win against Sweden, but that's it..

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
MOGiLNY said:
How? All these countries like Belarus, Switzerland etc have yet to present any challenge to the top 7. There was that fluke Belarus win against Sweden, but that's it..
It wasn't long ago that such a fluke would by totally unthinkable, though, and now you can look forward to such events (provided they're not against Finland or the US :)).

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
007 said:
It wasn't long ago that such a fluke would by totally unthinkable, though, and now you can look forward to such events (provided they're not against Finland or the US :)).

that's just not true.. flukes have always happened in sports

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
You're right, flukes always do happen.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I agree with Douggy, that there is more parity. It's still generally considered a fluke if one of these nations win, but it is not the long-shot it once was. Nowadays people talk about the possibility of Belarus or Switzerland winning if they get lucky, and no-one laughs when they see Germany on the schedule. I mean, even France have a home-grown player in the NHL now!

It wasn't long ago that Switzerland won bronze in the WJC...

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Douggy said:
Are these not the Ten Best Hockey Countries in this Tournament?

Who else could be better than Germany/Belarus/Switzerland?

Latvia may be on the same level as these teams, Kazakstan and Ukraine have also put out a few good players, while Norway, Denmark and France are consistantly getting better.

I'm not old enough to remember, but it seems like all of the Former Soviet countries are just starting to put together their own groups of good players who will play for their nations for the next 10-15 years.

Also, Switzerland and Germany are putting a bit more cash into their programs.

The 2 bottom teams each year in the Tourney afterwards face reglegation from the top group .. next years representatives have already been decided in games recently played ...

2005 IIHF World U20 Championship Div I Group A - Sheffield, GREAT BRITAIN - 13.12.2004 - 19.12.2004

Norway is promoted to the 2006 IIHF World U20 Championship in Vancouver, Canada .. after winning Group A

2005 IIHF World U20 Championship Div I Group B - Narva, ESTONIA - 13.12.2004 - 19.12.2004

Latvia is promotion to the 2006 IIHF World U20 Championship in Vancouver, Canada after winning Group B

Much like your soccer example indeed ..

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm#

Last edited:

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
I would say that there are 8 major hockey countries that can play at a best on best level and have a competitive tournament. Those countries played off for the World Cup a few months ago. No other countries can ice a team that could hang and not embarass themselves.

As much as I would like to see a 20 team tourney it simply isn't gonna happen. Could you imagine a team from France or Japan playing the Canadian, or American World Cup teams. It wouldn't even be a competitive enough game to take seriously. For now and the forseeable futute there will still only be 8 teams or so in the elite group.

Belizarius

Sep 17, 2003
Southern France
www.passionhockey.com
I just can hope we're not going to see too long that top-7...

i believe the level of play is more and more equal.
Denmark showed it, beating USA and tying Canada.

For juniors, the level in Division 1 is better and the game were very tight this year. Every game was a 1-2 goals differential.

If a 10 teams tournament is exciting and tied, don't forget it's not a very good thing for the promotion of the sport. Wich interest except for 10 countries?
Nobody talks about Crosby here in France, even less WJC.
I think it's pretty much the same elsewhere... this tournament would be better with a few more teams, even if the first years it could be lopsided scores.

Reilly311

How will the other countries ever get better if they can't play the best teams?

Jazz

Belizarius said:
....Nobody talks about Crosby here in France, even less WJC...I think it's pretty much the same elsewhere... this tournament would be better with a few more teams, even if the first years it could be lopsided scores.

Belizarius - how was media attention in France when France was playing in the 2002 World Juniors (U20s)??

(also, is your handle a tribute to the 6th Century East Roman general who reconquered Italy and North Africa?)

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
Reilly311 said:
How will the other countries ever get better if they can't play the best teams?

A 6 or so game tournament for 23 players or so is not going to help countries improve any in terms of general hockey ability. The best way for teams like France, Belarus, Japan and others to develop is to start more grass roots youth programs to get kids interested in the sport. That said, allowing more teams into tourneys like the WJC or the Worlds would be good in terms of exposure, which could have an effect of generating more interest in the game in the aforementioned countries.

Reilly311

AJ1982 said:
A 6 or so game tournament for 23 players or so is not going to help countries improve any in terms of general hockey ability.

:speechles

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Fighter said:
Ah! You forgot Chad: they are DEADLY on saharian ice
I just think Swaziland is better. They have Mhesnwqj Pweorgj. He is the Wayne Gretzky of Swaziland hockey. All the goalies are afraid of him and his nasty shot, his branchhandling and his cow pie control.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Soccer may be the biggest world cup, but in 75 years, there have only been 7 different winners - Brazil, Italy, Germany, England, Argentina, France and Uruguay. Today you can probably replace Uruguay with Holland as contenders. So my guess is you'll never really see more than a handful stand a genuine chance.

It'd be nice to have more depth developed and international parity though. Canada or Russia should hammer Norway who hammered most of Group A in turn. That doesnt happen in soccer.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Gurj said:
Belizarius - how was media attention in France when France was playing in the 2002 World Juniors (U20s)??

(also, is your handle a tribute to the 6th Century East Roman general who reconquered Italy and North Africa?)

Wasn't that Belisaruis?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
If we talk about popularity it goes like this :

1. Canada
2. Sweden / Finland / Czech Republic
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. USA
8. Switzerland
9. Germany
10. I honestly don't know.

uzziman

Nov 6, 2002
Abby
Visit site
wilka91 said:
If we talk about popularity it goes like this :

1. Canada
2. Sweden / Finland / Czech Republic
5. Russia
6. Slovakia
7. USA
8. Switzerland
9. Germany
10. I honestly don't know.

It could be argued that The Swiss are higher than 8th just from watching the Spengler Cup and seeing how they get pumped for it

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Sykie said:
I don't agree. You forget the Chad's goalie here Domon Hasoun and he owns Pweorgj. It's a no contest.

OK Chad ties Swaziland for 10th place. Even though the swazis have Pweorgj (who in my opinion could make Hasoun look like swiss cheese)

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
uzziman said:
It could be argued that The Swiss are higher than 8th just from watching the Spengler Cup and seeing how they get pumped for it

and you can argue about switzerland/germany. germany has a lot of big arena's coming.

if it comes to success in developing players we sure have the top7 nations and germany/switzerland/latvia are battling for the 8th spot like we've seen in recent WCs. belarus is on the rise as well as kazakhstan is and for sure austria. same with the ukraine i think. denmark is finally having some nice prospects so maybe it's a start. norway is on the same level as always. i don't see any major step forward. same with france and great britain.

in the future we could see around 16 nations with solid teams (top7/switzerland/germany/latvia/austria/kazakhstan/ukraine/
belarus/denmark/a team i forgot for sure).

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
The Messenger said:
The 2 bottom teams each year in the Tourney afterwards face reglegation from the top group .. next years representatives have already been decided in games recently played ...

2005 IIHF World U20 Championship Div I Group A - Sheffield, GREAT BRITAIN - 13.12.2004 - 19.12.2004

Norway is promoted to the 2006 IIHF World U20 Championship in Vancouver, Canada .. after winning Group A

2005 IIHF World U20 Championship Div I Group B - Narva, ESTONIA - 13.12.2004 - 19.12.2004

Latvia is promotion to the 2006 IIHF World U20 Championship in Vancouver, Canada after winning Group B

Much like your soccer example indeed ..

http://www.iihf.com/hockey/tournam/tournaments.htm#
I don't see how this is relevant at all.

I'm arguing that these are the best hockey-nations in the world, and you tell me that Norway and Latvia will be a part of the tournament next year.

So What?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad