Tell me about Michael Frolik !!!

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
He'll probably go in the middle to late first round. And he's not as good as Olesz if that helps you.

He's got good size, decent skills, good skater and pretty strong on the puck but he's not a game breaker. He doesn't have elite offensive skills. Doesn't warrant any Jagr comparisons that's for sure.

His countrymate Jiri Tlusty is better.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
IMO he's played the best hockey out of anyone in this draft. That being said it was a while ago and I would steer clear from him until about pick ten. He's gotten the shaft at the WJC and during his year in Kladno to the point that he's been talking about coming to NA next year. In the end, I still like his game but he's lost a year of developement.

I haven't seen the U18's yet but all reports say that he's played pretty poorly while getting good time. That might be from some bitter feelings from the past but it is what it is, not the greatest showing. Like Le Golie said the Jagr comparisons are off of the mark. IMO if he hits his high end he'll play like an Elias or Havlat and Tlusty has a style like a Straka.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I don't have much to go by, but FWIW, I came away from the WU18 game against Canada thinking that Tlusty definitely looked like the more dynamic and involved player. Not that Frolik looked bad, but it was certainly hard to imagine that he was an elite top-5 calibre prospect. If you didn't know in advance who he was, he would still be worth some attention, because he does have good talent and skills, but you sure wouldn't be thinking elite prospect. And this was very much against his own age group, not just a case of playing against men in Kladno or against older guys in the WJC. FWIW. Just a one-game observation. :dunno:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
#66 said:
IMO he's played the best hockey out of anyone in this draft. That being said it was a while ago and I would steer clear from him until about pick ten. He's gotten the shaft at the WJC and during his year in Kladno to the point that he's been talking about coming to NA next year. In the end, I still like his game but he's lost a year of developement.

I haven't seen the U18's yet but all reports say that he's played pretty poorly while getting good time. That might be from some bitter feelings from the past but it is what it is, not the greatest showing. Like Le Golie said the Jagr comparisons are off of the mark. IMO if he hits his high end he'll play like an Elias or Havlat and Tlusty has a style like a Straka.

"He's played the best hockey out of anyone at the draft"? When? Are you talking about the 2004/2005 WJC's? I know we all do what we can to prop up our favorite prospects but you seem to be reaching a bit here.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
"He's played the best hockey out of anyone at the draft"? When? Are you talking about the 2004/2005 WJC's? I know we all do what we can to prop up our favorite prospects but you seem to be reaching a bit here.
Not at all. His goals were alot more pro-like than Kessels and his all around play was 10 X's better. I would take Kessel over Frolik now though because its hard to judge a player that hasn't played quality minutes most of this year.

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
I don´t think he´s as bad as the most posters here at HF writes. There were very high expectations before the season (ISS had him 2nd behind Kessel in their preliminary rankings last summer) and he had only 9 point with Kladno this year.

I don´t want to excuse his stats, but he had 3rd/4th-line icetime during the year and also some differences with the Kladno Coach.

His WJC wasn´t that bad, too. He finished with 5 point in 7 games for 4th on the Czech Team (but I would admitt that´s not enough for a top 10 NHL pick) although he´s not a pure scorer type of player.

There wasn´t any obvious development in his game this year maybe because of the reasons I mentioned. The other possibility is, that he could become another Pavel Brendl.

Rotang

Sep 30, 2005
Dallas, TX
Can anyone clarify how big Frolik is?

I'm just going to assume that the 5'8" 145 lbs that hockeydb has him listed at is false.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad