televise 3 stars

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
I was watching the end of the game tonight and after having a couple glasses of tequila, the "hockey night in canada" theme song came on. It got me remenissing about the good old days of 1980a and 90s hockey. What a time to be a fan. Pre Gary Bettman watered down NHL.

One takeway: I really wish broadcasts would go back to televising the 3 stars like they did when i was a kid. It was part of the hockey watching experience. I can still remember watching Brad Marsh (on extremely rare occasion) do laps around centre ice after being given the honour of 1 of the 3 stars. who cares if the losing/visiting players don't come out. The omission is part of the charm.

It would be cool if TSN and sportnet actually showed the in-arena call of the 3 stars. After all, It's part of the game experience.

Also, play the hockey night in Canada theme more. Such a great piece of music. Spread it among the canadian broadcasts. share the wealth. it needs to be heard more.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
I was watching the end of the game tonight and after having a couple glasses of tequila, the "hockey night in canada" theme song came on. It got me remenissing about the good old days of 1980a and 90s hockey. What a time to be a fan. Pre Gary Bettman watered down NHL.

One takeway: I really wish broadcasts would go back to televising the 3 stars like they did when i was a kid. It was part of the hockey watching experience. I can still remember watching Brad Marsh (on extremely rare occasion) do laps around centre ice after being given the honour of 1 of the 3 stars. who cares if the losing/visiting players don't come out. The omission is part of the charm.

It would be cool if TSN and sportnet actually showed the in-arena call of the 3 stars. After all, It's part of the game experience.

Also, play the hockey night in Canada theme more. Such a great piece of music. Spread it among the canadian broadcasts. share the wealth. it needs to be heard more.

This is actually an under-rated idea. I remember when I was a kid always looking forward to the 3 star selection at the end of the game. On a personal level, it doesn't really interest me much these days, but, I bet the kids and maybe even some young adults would really look forward to this. Also, it's a good chance for the TV station to sneak in a few extra commercials as people await the 3 star selection.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
funny, the thing I remember most about the three stars is when it's in Montreal - 'la premiere etoile - the first star' - man that takes me back.

also- that pic of Robert Smith in a Leafs jersey - do you know where that was taken? I went to a concert in 96 called Edenfest, a weekend thing at Mosport - and The Cure played with Robert smith coming out in a Leafs jersey.

Mr_Fun

Find me sombaty to love.
Oct 7, 2006
BC
funny, the thing I remember most about the three stars is when it's in Montreal - 'la premiere etoile - the first star' - man that takes me back.

also- that pic of Robert Smith in a Leafs jersey - do you know where that was taken? I went to a concert in 96 called Edenfest, a weekend thing at Mosport - and The Cure played with Robert smith coming out in a Leafs jersey.

I actually remember Bill Hewitt announcing the 3 stars, He actually did it pretty well.

the squared circle

Aug 3, 2005
Maple Leaf Gardens
Great idea. I never understood why an opposing player would refuse to come out on the ice when he was announced as one of the stars. Always thought that was disrespectful to the fans

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
no idea where it was taken but yeah it had to be around 1996 wild mood swings era. I found it weird when Robert Smith started wearing random hockey jerseys. It was an interesting fashion choice given his style, but I thought it was cool And against the grain of the goth doom aesthetic.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This is actually an under-rated idea. I remember when I was a kid always looking forward to the 3 star selection at the end of the game. On a personal level, it doesn't really interest me much these days, but, I bet the kids and maybe even some young adults would really look forward to this. Also, it's a good chance for the TV station to sneak in a few extra commercials as people await the 3 star selection.
Makes sense to me, agree with every word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad