TEKKEN 8 - January 25, 2024 (PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S)

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Planning on this to be my first Tekken game. Looks great!

Notable features:

-32 Fighter roster on launch.
-Two singleplayer story modes. (Main story and Arcade Quest)
-Rollback Netcode.
-Crossplay between all platforms.

Here's an explanation of the game's various gameplay systems:

I've been looking forward to trying out a 3D fighter. One thing I find interesting about them is that the stages actually matters as a physical location, it's not just a pretty background.

(Hopefully, it'll have a smooth launch...)

Edit: Oh yeah, there's also a demo if you want to check it out beforehand. Though be careful of this one really specific accessibility issue that can cause problems: Tekken 8 promises to change accessibility options after potentially dangerous filters that 'may hospitalise players' were discovered

(Uh, that's gonna get fixed, heh)

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Already pre-ordered on PS5.

What a year its been for fighting games. SF6, MK1 and now Tekken 8, all on my PS5 dashboard.

Reactions: Seedtype

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Gonna give this a shot. I really enjoyed my time with SF6 (still do, play it with a friend of mine pretty regularly) but i feel like i kinda hit a wall with the desire to grind. Mostly because i couldn't find a secondary character to go alongside my main man Ryu. Not for lack of trying either. Tried pretty much everyone that's not Luke or Dhalsim and none of them stuck.

Tekken seems interesting in the sense where it's easy to pick up and stupidly hard to master. Much more diverse roster it looks like too.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Reviews are coming in and are generally really positive. So that's good I guess.
PC Gamer mention concerns with the netcode:
Unfortunately, Tekken 8's netcode is still not quite up to snuff. I played across a variety of regions and connections, including Wi-Fi, and only found stable connections with players who were using ethernet and in my region. Almost every Wi-Fi player I encountered I suffered horrible lag with, and even well-connected folk in other regions saw me dropping inputs.

It's better than Tekken 7's, from what I can tell, and when it works it's incredibly smooth with only one to two frames of rollback. But it still has a long way to go compared to other fighting games. I was at least hoping for Wi-Fi connections to feel more stable across the board, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be the case. For something that's arguably one of the most important aspects of a fighting game, it's something that Bandai Namco needs to work on.
-Source: Tekken 8 review

Reading the concern kinda has me scratching my head though. What are your guy's experience with WIFI in other games? Because WIFI is usually the problem when there is one(the other being really old PCs). I mean, yeah it'll be great if WIFI always worked well, but you know... physics.

Now, I hope inter-region play will be good as long as there is a stable connection. To me that's the greatest strength of rollback.

Obviously, the netcode situation won't be completely clear until release. And of course there is a WIFI indicator. Crossplay should also ensure that you will always find someone in your region. Generally it should be good.

Last edited:

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Yea I hadn't really heard good things about the netcode throughout the betas. It seems Harada unfortunately still may not know what rollback is (he claims Tekken 7 had rollback netcode as well; it did not). Unfortunate that the only real 3D title in the genre isn't getting it right while so many 2D games are. Will stick to playing Granblue and Under Night and just watch Tekken 8 offline tournaments.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Reviews are coming in and are generally really positive. So that's good I guess.
PC Gamer mention concerns with the netcode:

-Source: Tekken 8 review

Reading the concern kinda has me scratching my head though. What are your guy's experience with WIFI in other games? Because WIFI is usually the problem when there is one(the other being really old PCs). I mean, yeah it'll be great if WIFI always worked well, but you know... physics.

Now, I hope inter-region play will be good as long as there is a stable connection. To me that's the greatest strength of rollback.

Obviously, the netcode situation won't be completely clear until release. And of course there is a WIFI indicator. Crossplay should also ensure that you will always find someone in your region. Generally it should be good.
Street Fighter 6 seems to handle wi-fi players fairly well. As long as they have 4 bars (i don't think 5 bars exists regardless of connection type of that game as i've never seen one in my 7 months of playing it) it's pretty fine. I've actually seen more four bar ethernet do the "oh hey look turns out my connection is actually 200 ms and 5 frames of rollback:" than i did with wi-fi, which can only speak to how good the netcode actually is.

Mortal Kombat 1 on the other hand, was liquid ass against wi-fi players and that game has a lottttt of wi-fi warriors. Though tbf it seems like the netcode in that game is just trash in general.

The general consensus on Tekken right now seems to be inconclusive . PC Gamer says the netcode is junk but IGN (who i recall actually has a seasoned fighting game player do these reviews for them) says it's fantastic.

Probably best to wait and see until the playerbase at large gets their hands on it.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Thankfully I have great internet speed in a major metro area, so Ive never had too much issue with lag in online 3D fighters, even as far back as Dead or Alive 4 on Xbox 360.

VF5 Ultimate was a great test. If it felt precise without rollback, I was all good. And it does.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
TEKKEN 8 will be playable tonight at 6pm EST(hopefully without a hitch). If you had pre-ordered it, you can preload it now. It's like 80 gigabytes, heh.

I'll probably just go ahead and beat the story mode first, then mess around with arcade story mode learning the game.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I dont know why Im still surprised how few hit confirms are necessary for combos in Tekken.

Every time a new one comes out it’s like ‘oh, I can just hammer half this combo out before the first hit even makes contact’ like the series hasnt been that way forever.

Guess Ill just always be an SF and VF boy at heart.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
Heh, I might be too old for this. My mind just goes blank when facing a human. Oh well, I'll try to keep at it.

Jauffre

Registered Grandmaster
Oct 10, 2009
Cloud Ruler Temple
Tekken 8 looks good. It ain't it for me though, I'm new to fighting games, SF6 being my first. It's way too much of deviation from SF, and learning all these mechanics and how to actually apply them is plenty for me already.

If anyone wants to run some custom matches on SF6, pls lmk. Looking to get better against zoners in particular.

Gonna give this a shot. I really enjoyed my time with SF6 (still do, play it with a friend of mine pretty regularly) but i feel like i kinda hit a wall with the desire to grind. Mostly because i couldn't find a secondary character to go alongside my main man Ryu. Not for lack of trying either. Tried pretty much everyone that's not Luke or Dhalsim and none of them stuck.

Tekken seems interesting in the sense where it's easy to pick up and stupidly hard to master. Much more diverse roster it looks like too.
I main Ryu too rn, started with Chun Li. Did you hit a wall in ranked?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad