Teams that Lost Money in 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
The Messenger said:
It really wasn't about San Jose .

It was about Oakland and the California Golden Seals failing and someone who thought that was disproved because they thought Oakland is the same city as San Jose ..

I wasn't responding to your Seals comments, but to your "San Jose is not exactly a good role model of a stable franchise" comment which was totally off base, including your comments on Selanne, Sutter, Damphouse, and Ricci.

You could probably argue that San Jose (along with maybe Ottawa) has been the best role model of a stable franchise of all of the recent 90's expansion clubs.

And hey, it's also a pet peeve of mine that San Jose just doesn't seem to get any respect as a team, city, or market.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
pretty sure the forbes report took a ton of heat for not being all that accurate. i believe we had thread that pretty much tore it to threads. they didnt have access to any real data. hard to base an arguement off of their numbers. i agree this many teams lost money - but i dont think we'll ever know how much.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
nyrmessier011 said:
every big market team overspent and the owners could easily police themselves without a hard cap...LA is in california..hockey in california...The Devils will always have a hard time selling with NYR/NYI/PHILY so close. Anaheim, Phoenix, Florida, Carolina should not even exist. How many teams does that leave now?
Would not the players scream collusion? Would not the fans scream the team is too “cheap†to put a competitive team on the ice?

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
The Messenger said:
Interestingly ..

The teams that have been reported to be the strongest supporters of Bettman and a Lower Hard Cap :

Chicago, Boston, Calgary, Edmonton, Nashville .. all are not on the losing list ..

It is interesting. Although, one could say that several of those team have lost money in the past, and they were only able to remain profitable because the kept salaries at such a low thresehold. I know thats the case for Nashville. Its not our fault that we are a well run team. We keep a budget and stick to it....unfortunately almost every other team in the league does not, ruining the market for them/making them unable to delve into many trades or FA signings. I'm not going to get into the players causing inflation because we all know how arbitration, etc. has worked against the owners for years - thats not the issue here. Its idiot teams like the Blues who lose over 20 million dollars, do not care, that really burns the small market teams.

All you contraction supporters - Take a long look at this thread. Personally, I may save it. Look at how many of your precious big-market teams are losing money...

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
It really wasn't about San Jose .

It was about Oakland and the California Golden Seals failing and someone who thought that was disproved because they thought Oakland is the same city as San Jose ..
The distance from Oakland to San Jose is roughly the same as from Mississauga to Scarborough, it is the same market. Amazing that needs to be pointed out to you but that's what I get for overestimating.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
mooseOAK said:
The distance from Oakland to San Jose is roughly the same as from Mississauga to Scarborough, it is the same market. Amazing that needs to be pointed out to you but that's what I get for overestimating.
Its only 50 Miles to San Fransisco as well from San Jose .. So do you count them ??..

Only a bridge separates SF and Oakland??

Is Hamilton the same as Toronto to you??

mooseOAK*

The Messenger said:
Its only 50 Miles to San Fransisco as well from San Jose .. So do you count them ??..

Only a bridge separates SF and Oakland??

Is Hamilton the same as Toronto to you??
Yes, there are many people from SF that go to Sharks games.

There are many people from Hamilton that go to Leafs games.

What is your problem?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Enoch said:
It is interesting. Although, one could say that several of those team have lost money in the past, and they were only able to remain profitable because the kept salaries at such a low thresehold. I know thats the case for Nashville. Its not our fault that we are a well run team. We keep a budget and stick to it....unfortunately almost every other team in the league does not, ruining the market for them/making them unable to delve into many trades or FA signings. I'm not going to get into the players causing inflation because we all know how arbitration, etc. has worked against the owners for years - thats not the issue here. Its idiot teams like the Blues who lose over 20 million dollars, do not care, that really burns the small market teams.

All you contraction supporters - Take a long look at this thread. Personally, I may save it. Look at how many of your precious big-market teams are losing money...
While I very much admire the small market teams to sticking with a budget and have self control when it comes to spending ... Boston and Chicago should be embarrassed to be on that list ..

The Bruins won the Division they made a profit despite a 1st round upset and had a Payroll far greater then the $42.5 that Jacobs is claiming he just can't afford to go above ...

Chicago has the market and the AHL wolves even prove the Diehard sports fans in the windy city .. They can support 2 Baseball teams, and fans love their Bears and Bullls of the NFL and NBA .. This is all Bill Wirtz the Harold Ballard of the current NHL .. I bet many posters on this board could run a better NHL team in Chicago then he does and to cry poor is just disgusting IMO ... With his market he should be a Big market team that needs to be harnessed form spending too much, not encouraged because he spends too little ..

NYIsles1*

nyr7andcounting said:
but you can't argue that almost all of the arena is not sold for each game. Say whatever you want about fan support and attention to hockey in NYC and say whatever you want about the stands not being full, because you are right most of the time. But the bottom line is that each game almost all of the tickets are sold. but you as far as ticket sales go they are fine, even if it might not look like it.
How come the stands are filled in Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, St.Louis, Vancouver, Minnesota, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Colorado along with several other markets small and large, win or lose but Madison Square Garden with the twelth hightest ticket prices and an 80m dollar all-star team is not filled win or lose, year after year?

To be honest your not giving me anything beyond Espn's link as proof the seats are sold and those numbers come from Dolan.

I think I'm making a very fair argument as to why the seats are not sold even beyond what I see at Msg for games. Which are the same problems you see at the Coliseum and the Meadowlands, it goes beyond winning or losing.

You can clearly make a better case for the Knicks who are the signature tennant with a bigger fan base for empty seats that are paid for, but not the Rangers.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/44768.htm
An hour after the Nets played their way into playoff position, the Knicks were playing themselves higher in the lottery and deeper into the depths of irrelevancy. In a half-empty Garden — and that's being kind — the Knicks led 125-122 in OT before a 10-2 Hawks run proved their undoing.

Bottom line teams with these problems do not have their seats sold out in advance at those prices:

1. What the Msg ticket people have directly told me countless times about seats being available for practically any game in any section.
2. The constant ads for available tickets during Ranger telecasts.
3. The 60,000 tv rating per game, per home reported by Newsday.
4. Fan attention dictates interest in a team and the Rangers right now are the eighth team in this market with no radio or print media interest. The Nets and Red Sox have far better media attention now.

nyr7andcounting said:
The unfortunate thing is that as little coverage as the Rangers get in NYC, it's still more than most other markets. Yes, NYR is competing against other teams in their market for attention...but even though they are losing the battle they are still in better shape than most of the other NHL teams. Come up with as many problems as you want, there are more in other NHL markets.
The battle has been over for years. Baseball knocked hockey right off the map here as a major sport with the general public and owns the media on hockey's best day of the year.

Even other mainstream sports are struggling badly to keep up.

Please look at the Post today. The Nets got three articles in today's paper among the ton of Steinbrenner-Yankee-Mets coverage. When was the last time a Ranger game generated more than one article in a local paper when they played a game?

Larry Brooks did an article on the Mets, not the Hartford Wolfpack, which is what happens in other NHL hockey markets.

During the lockout I have seen the Nashville, Pittsburgh papers do regular updates on the team propects, players and the lockout. Philadelphia, Colorado, Boston all have full lockout and team coverage with player quotes.

Outside of Larry Brooks pro-NHLPA rants when was the last time you read a hockey article from him with an update or quotes from a Ranger player?

There is also the Garden's image and exposure problems which are getting worse:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/44749.htm

Yesterday, MSG re-ran Saturday evening's "SportsDesk" every half-hour from 6 a.m. until noon. Saturday afternoon and then yesterday afternoon, MSG totaled four hours of time-buy infomercials. Unless one is in the market to purchase a collection of "Dean Martin Show" tapes, there's too often no reason to watch MSG Network,

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Scugs said:
Why??? They rule

Simply because I have a flag, and I see someone supporting the same thing I am, so I honk, they honk, someone else then drives by and honks, and then you have a whole city of honking horns.

Its funny :joker:
Are you talking a :flames flag or a :leafs flag? just wondering why there would even be a leafs flag :naughty:

NYIsles1*

nyr7andcounting said:
Yea, and to me Dolan is not one bit credible. None of these owners are, no one with that much money is.
At this point we do not even need these owners credibility. The NHLPA's rollback offer, the Espn contract, the ratings. The countless articles about the public's lack on interest in hockey.

nyr7andcounting said:
We don't that no one forced him to do it, unless you have a link. Of course no one put a gun to his head, but considering claiming those losses could be in his best interest as well as his fellow owners...and considering he could have overstated losses...it's certainly possible he's not being truthful.
Have you ever considered that James Dolan could have lost 50-60m and understated his losses to Levitt? Ask yourself this: If the Blues in a modern building report a loss as high as the Rangers and the Wings lose 16m going to the second round how is Msg not losing that much money with such a high overhead in an old building?

nyr7andcounting said:
You are right in saying that Dolan doesn't care about Bettman, he probably doesn't care about anyone but himself. He probably cares most about money...so if overstating losses could help the league get a cap, which would boost his franchises' value(a franchise which his company is rumoured to be thinking about selling) than why not overstate losses?
This is play money to Cablevision. Msg's franchise value is high enough already because he owns the Knicks, the Garden, Radio City and could sell for a huge profit whenever he likes. James Dolan is not going to take any image hit or admit such huge losses for something as trivial as the NHL, Bettman or his fellow owners to say nothing of how his considerable list of enemies in New York would gladly use it against him.

For what it's worth the NHL in one of those CBA offers put full disclosure on the table with fines and first-round draft picks as the penalty, the NHLPA and NHL together pick who would examine the books.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
mooseOAK said:
You truly are amazing. You shout out that I am wrong and then you write 100 words saying basically the same thing that I did. That the Colorado Avalanche has been successful since day one so they may end up being a weak market once that stops.

Maybe you are of the age where Alzheimers sets in, or something.

I am not sure if this is true though. You and The Messenger both know that populations increase (some regions dramatically) over the course of 15-20 years, right?

I think the Avs will be in it for the long haul. Now teams like Atlanta which is just a crap sports town or Carolina (just not a hockey town) may not make it, but Colorado win or lose is here for the long haul. What happened in the early 80s with the Rockies has nothing to do with now.

The same can be said for Minnesota. They didnt leave due to lack of support. The Wild will be fine long term as well.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
chriss_co said:
Calgary would have lost millions this year had they not made the playoffs. It wasn't until the 1st several games against San Jose that they turned a profit.

I should also mention that Calgary maximized all of their playoff home appearances in the postseason. There were 3 home games per series for all 4 series.

So basically, it took Calgary 6-7 playoff games to breakeven.

Wait, you mean for Calgary to make money they had to be successful...interesting...I thought owners were supposed to simply be handed an envelope filled with money at the start of every day.

Who would have thought that success on the ice (and in good business decisions) could translate into business success?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
mooseOAK said:
The Denver area has never had to experience a bad hockey team, how good the market is won't be determined until that happens for a few years in a row.

But people do point to it as a big market team even though it really isn't.

I know i will be Always avalanche fan, but i have many friends who just cheers for couple years and when games are going worse they stop cheering team. The truth is that avalanche will not be as dominant as last 10 years in denver than next 10 years in denver. Then we will see if they are gonna keep cheering or give it up.

mooseOAK*

Bruwinz37 said:
I am not sure if this is true though. You and The Messenger both know that populations increase (some regions dramatically) over the course of 15-20 years, right?

I think the Avs will be in it for the long haul. Now teams like Atlanta which is just a crap sports town or Carolina (just not a hockey town) may not make it, but Colorado win or lose is here for the long haul. What happened in the early 80s with the Rockies has nothing to do with now.

The same can be said for Minnesota. They didnt leave due to lack of support. The Wild will be fine long term as well.

It is Messenger who brought up the '70's and thinks that decisions on who should have franchises should be based on what happened back then.

Denver will always be an NHL city but when Sakic, Blake, et al go away I don't think that they will be among the highest spenders as they are now.

se7en*

GregStack said:
Wait, you mean for Calgary to make money they had to be successful...interesting...I thought owners were supposed to simply be handed an envelope filled with money at the start of every day.

Who would have thought that success on the ice (and in good business decisions) could translate into business success?

Calgary (or anyone else) shouldn't have to maximize at least 3 playoff games for 4 series to make money, however foreign the concept of profiting from the Stanley Cup Finals is to Toronto fans. They have sold enough seats for 7 years and Calgary is every bit a hockeytown as any Canadian city. A couple playoff games (at least) should be rewarded with a decent profit.

Who thinks Calgary will make the finals again - something they need to do just to make good on their revenues? I know I don't (or want to - f'n gross).

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Color@do @v@l@nche said:
I know i will be Always avalanche fan, but i have many friends who just cheers for couple years and when games are going worse they stop cheering team. The truth is that avalanche will not be as dominant as last 10 years in denver than next 10 years in denver. Then we will see if they are gonna keep cheering or give it up.
i agree, the true fans havent been developed yet. i think the denver are at large is pretty fickle as avs fans, the team will eventually be average for a while and then you'll see the real fans.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
ive posed this question before, and i think it fits this remark. if the whale went to denver instead, and pl and the avs went to raleigh and won 2 cups there -would you be saying the same thing? would raleigh still be a crappy sports town and denver in it for the long haul? why would it be any different than the rockies and the 80's here in denver. the ticket prices are huge, and even those who can afford it wouldnt pay to see a team who probably isnt going to make the playoffs. corporate sponsors back off eventually, for the same reason. everyone here isnt from denver, so youre biggest selling games are the east coast teams - who arent even coming every year, and maybe the minny games. karmanos wouldnt be spending any more money here than there after it starts to dry out - so they never pick up any star players.

meanwhile, raleigh already showed it would pay to see a winner during the 2002 run. season tickets were way up for the following season, and it took two years of suck to drive them away. if pl brought the cup winner to nc their first year, had them in the run every season with a star studded roster....would nc be a "crappy" small hockey marke? its one of the most affluent growing markets in the usa, if you didnt know. raliegh could be just as big a hockey market as denver, imo - and ive been to both and live in denver.

canes problem is ownerr/management, the team that left hartford was better than many of the canes teams since. rutherford hasnt built a good team in ten years, except for one team that made a run. thats why raliegh doesnt seem to be a "hockey" market.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
NYIsles1 said:
How come the stands are filled in Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto, Calgary, St.Louis, Vancouver, Minnesota, Columbus, Detroit, Philadelphia, Colorado along with several other markets small and large, win or lose but Madison Square Garden with the twelth hightest ticket prices and an 80m dollar all-star team is not filled win or lose, year after year?

Uh, they are filled because those are good hockey markets? MSG is not filled because there is plenty of competition for entertainment money in NYC and they haven't made the playoffs in 7 years. What's your point?

NYIsles1 said:
Bottom line teams with these problems do not have their seats sold out in advance at those prices:

1. What the Msg ticket people have directly told me countless times about seats being available for practically any game in any section.
2. The constant ads for available tickets during Ranger telecasts.
3. The 60,000 tv rating per game, per home reported by Newsday.
4. Fan attention dictates interest in a team and the Rangers right now are the eighth team in this market with no radio or print media interest. The Nets and Red Sox have far better media attention now.

You still don't know how many seats are sold in advance to companies and season ticket holders with tons of money that barely show up. Sometimes they'll go for a period and a half, sometimes not at all. I'm not talking about fan attention, I'm talking simple paid attendance...I don't think it is any less than 17,000 on any night, and most nights it's more than that when the walk-ups show up for a good game.

NYIsles1 said:
The battle has been over for years. Baseball knocked hockey right off the map here as a major sport with the general public and owns the media on hockey's best day of the year.

Even other mainstream sports are struggling badly to keep up.

Please look at the Post today. The Nets got three articles in today's paper among the ton of Steinbrenner-Yankee-Mets coverage. When was the last time a Ranger game generated more than one article in a local paper when they played a game?

Larry Brooks did an article on the Mets, not the Hartford Wolfpack, which is what happens in other NHL hockey markets.

During the lockout I have seen the Nashville, Pittsburgh papers do regular updates on the team propects, players and the lockout. Philadelphia, Colorado, Boston all have full lockout and team coverage with player quotes.

Outside of Larry Brooks pro-NHLPA rants when was the last time you read a hockey article from him with an update or quotes from a Ranger player?

There is also the Garden's image and exposure problems which are getting worse:
http://www.nypost.com/sports/mets/44749.htm

Yesterday, MSG re-ran Saturday evening's "SportsDesk" every half-hour from 6 a.m. until noon. Saturday afternoon and then yesterday afternoon, MSG totaled four hours of time-buy infomercials. Unless one is in the market to purchase a collection of "Dean Martin Show" tapes, there's too often no reason to watch MSG Network,

This has nothing to do with what I said. "as little coverage as the Rangers get in NYC, it's still more than most other markets. Yes, NYR is competing against other teams in their market for attention...but even though they are losing the battle they are still in better shape than most of the other NHL teams. Come up with as many problems as you want, there are more in other NHL markets."

Again, I don't care what kind of attention the Rangers get compared to the Yankees, Mets etc. Say whatever you want about NYR's popularity in NYC, they are still better off than a majority of the NHL so what is your point? If you are looking to contract teams, there are over a dozen teams with more problems than NYR. If you are simply looking to point out deficiencies in NHL markets, you will have a lot more to talk about if you focus on other markets.

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
NYIsles1 said:
Have you ever considered that James Dolan could have lost 50-60m and understated his losses to Levitt? Ask yourself this: If the Blues in a modern building report a loss as high as the Rangers and the Wings lose 16m going to the second round how is Msg not losing that much money with such a high overhead in an old building?
Yea, we have already talked about that. Dolan could mess around with NYR's books, and he could go either way with it. You think he understated losses, I think he overstated losses. I think he and his peers have much more to gain right now from overstating them, but you think he is more worried about his image.

NYIsles1 said:
This is play money to Cablevision. Msg's franchise value is high enough already because he owns the Knicks, the Garden, Radio City and could sell for a huge profit whenever he likes. James Dolan is not going to take any image hit or admit such huge losses for something as trivial as the NHL, Bettman or his fellow owners to say nothing of how his considerable list of enemies in New York would gladly use it against him.
It is play money, but the bottom line is it's an investment, and that investment is measured by your franchises value. If a cap would help an owners franchise value, logic would tell you he wants that cap.

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
HockeyCritter said:
Would not the players scream collusion? Would not the fans scream the team is too “cheap†to put a competitive team on the ice?

Did they do that in the 80's and early 90's when some teams salaries were only $8 million in a free market? No they didn't because that's what teams can afford. If these owners need a cap to "police themselves" then they shouldn't be businessmen.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
bleedgreen said:
ive posed this question before, and i think it fits this remark. if the whale went to denver instead, and pl and the avs went to raleigh and won 2 cups there -would you be saying the same thing? would raleigh still be a crappy sports town and denver in it for the long haul? why would it be any different than the rockies and the 80's here in denver. the ticket prices are huge, and even those who can afford it wouldnt pay to see a team who probably isnt going to make the playoffs. corporate sponsors back off eventually, for the same reason. everyone here isnt from denver, so youre biggest selling games are the east coast teams - who arent even coming every year, and maybe the minny games. karmanos wouldnt be spending any more money here than there after it starts to dry out - so they never pick up any star players.

meanwhile, raleigh already showed it would pay to see a winner during the 2002 run. season tickets were way up for the following season, and it took two years of suck to drive them away. if pl brought the cup winner to nc their first year, had them in the run every season with a star studded roster....would nc be a "crappy" small hockey marke? its one of the most affluent growing markets in the usa, if you didnt know. raliegh could be just as big a hockey market as denver, imo - and ive been to both and live in denver.

canes problem is ownerr/management, the team that left hartford was better than many of the canes teams since. rutherford hasnt built a good team in ten years, except for one team that made a run. thats why raliegh doesnt seem to be a "hockey" market.

You make some good points, but you also fail to mention that Colorado is also a college hockey hotbed with 3 big time teams. It *is* a hockey area. Raleigh simply isnt. Lets face it, since they have arrived Carolina has had ups and downs but for a while they were a pretty competitive team and made one Cup run. That is saying more than what a lot of teams have done in the past decade (Bruins included). If two bad years after a Cup run is enough to hurt a franchise that bad then they probably shouldnt have a team.

We can agree to disagree, but I have been to both and it is crystal clear that Denver is/was a more hockey city than Raleigh.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
You make some good points, but you also fail to mention that Colorado is also a college hockey hotbed with 3 big time teams. It *is* a hockey area.

If two bad years after a Cup run is enough to hurt a franchise that bad then they probably shouldnt have a team.
i think the fact that the teams have been so successful these last few years makes denver out to be a college hotbed. i live in denver and i can tell you i went to a bunch of DU games this year during a championship season - and most of the games were half empty till the cc games toward the end. cc draws very well, but springs and denver are totally seperate entities - they shouldnt be included in terms of how great a hockey market denver is. CC and the CO eagles live in a different world than the denver scene and dont play in the avs success or failure - they are both about an hour away from denver - and few people would travel from one spot to the other to watch hockey there. if you put an echl team in the raliegh area - i think it would do well, then raleigh would have comparable lower end hockey. just because we have a national champion team and another one close by in CC, doesnt make us north dakota. i spend much of my time reffing/ coaching/playing - very few of the kids who play really follow the sport at all. most kids i know didnt follow the college playoffs at all. denver as a hockey hotbed doesnt fly with me - CO as a hockey state being better than NC i would buy, but thats not the arguement here - we are asking which is a better pro market...denver or raliegh. the CO eagles, cc tigers, and AFA hockey teams dont work as plusses for the denver area - they are all too far away and have no impact on how successful the avs are in denver.

as for the canes market lacking because the fans left only two years after being good - keep in mind the team had only been in raliegh since 99 when making the run. we're talking of three mediocre years to build a following, a cup run which boosted numbers, then falling into suck which lost fans. thats not nearly enough time to develop a strong loyal base of paying followers, and i think much of the same would happen in denver should they suck. i think this true of almost any hockey market in the league. wasnt montreals attendance down when they sucked a few years ago? how about boston the year they earned thorton? espn showed a half empty stadium during every nights highlights. winning = morefans/money. its true just about everywhere.

we agree to respectfully disagree. i just dont see how its clear that denver is a better market. aside from DU, which was barely noticed until the championships by the average joe, hockey has been invisible this year in denver.

mooseOAK*

nyrmessier011 said:
Did they do that in the 80's and early 90's when some teams salaries were only $8 million in a free market? No they didn't because that's what teams can afford. If these owners need a cap to "police themselves" then they shouldn't be businessmen.

If the owners "police themselves" then they are guilty of collusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad