Team USA announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
I would say Canada is the class of this year's tournament, but I don't see the drop-off many are predicting for the U.S. Key elements such as Montoya, Suter, O'Sullivan, and Stafford are returning. The defense is mobile, and offensively gifted, and the offense is even more potent.

I'm not saying that the US won't be a factor, but to say that Canada will be weaker than last year makes very little sense.

Pretty much every key player, save for Fleury returns from last year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Matt MacInnis said:
A couple of things.

1)Nickerson is .... awful.

2)In order to destroy a guy like Phaneuf you need to have some semblance of mobility, anticipation, open ice hitting ability, and you're assuming that the best puck-handler in the tournament is going to have his head down for more than a split second.

I'm sorry, but last time I saw Nickerson he was getting embarassed every shift and backing down from smaller challengers. Nickerson is NOT a guy that Team USA wanted. They have much better players available to them.

When's the last time you saw Nickerson? From what I understand, he was getting challenged alot and he was piling up the PM's. He's also a good skater and puck-handler for his size, not that you were necessarily disputing that. As for Phaneuf being the best puck-handler, I wouldn't go that far.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Top Shelf said:
Would have liked to have seen Tom Fritsche named to the team but wasn't really expecting it - maybe next year.

I actually was kind of expecting Tom to make the team. He's a great all-around player, skilled and works his tail off. He could have really been a good addition to this team. As for next year, I would say he's a lock. Great kid!!

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
John Flyers Fan said:
I'm not saying that the US won't be a factor, but to say that Canada will be weaker than last year makes very little sense.

Pretty much every key player, save for Fleury returns from last year.

I agree. Canada should be favored this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LemonDrop_27 said:
I actually was kind of expecting Tom to make the team. He's a great all-around player, skilled and works his tail off. He could have really been a good addition to this team. As for next year, I would say he's a lock. Great kid!!

Fritsche (Tom) is a guy that, like Earl and Hennessy fell victim to the numbers game. The U.S. team consists of many of the same kinds of players, and there are only so many slots on the scoring lines, where a guy like Fritsche belongs. He'll get a long look next year.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Rabid Ranger said:
As for Phaneuf being the best puck-handler, I wouldn't go that far.

You misread what he said. I did the same thing the first time, there's a few different statements crammed into that one line he wrote.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hero of Tragedy said:
My feelings as well but after seein some of the guys named (Bourque?)...I'm a lil disappointed.

The U.S. brass has mentioned repeatedly that one of the key criteria in it's selction process was finding players who utilize their teammates well. That's Bourque's game, he's a playmaker. I'm not surprised he was named.

Last edited:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Epsilon said:
You misread what he said. I did the same thing the first time, there's a few different statements crammed into that one line he wrote.

I see, he was saying Phaneuf has the elements needed to be a successful open-ince hitter while Nickerson does not. Thanks for pointing that out. Apologies to Matt. :innocent:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Anyone want to guess lines and defensive pairings?

Defense:

Suter/Likens
Hagemo/Goligoski
Hunwick/Borer
Lee

Forwards:

Pineault/O'Sullivan/Stafford
Hensick/Schremp/Fritsche
Porter/Bourque/Callahan
Dowell/Brown/Weller
Kessel

Strakakis

Apr 4, 2004
Montreal
Rabid Ranger said:
I would say Canada is the class of this year's tournament, but I don't see the drop-off many are predicting for the U.S. Key elements such as Montoya, Suter, O'Sullivan, and Stafford are returning. The defense is mobile, and offensively gifted, and the offense is even more potent.

Wait till you see Team Russia.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
The U.S. brass has mentioned repeatedly that one of the key criteria in it's selction process was finding players who utilize their teammates well. That's Bourque's game, he's a playmaker. I'm surprised he was named.
I did read that Bourque had trouble sharing the puck this year though. He didn't have a bad start to his collegial career but not a great one either. We'll see where he fits on team USA and how he'll perform against top NHL prospects.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
littleHossa said:
I did read that Bourque had trouble sharing the puck this year though. He didn't have a bad start to his collegial career but not a great one either. We'll see where he fits on team USA and how he'll perform against top NHL prospects.

I wouldn't say that's a fair criticism of Bourque. His main issue is not being able to find the back of the net with regularity. He'll be asked to be a playmaker on the WJC team, so that won't be an issue.

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
LemonDrop_27 said:
Hagemo is a smaller defensemen (5'11" maybe) he's a good skater and plays with some grit. Puts up decent numbers but not overally offensive, just soild (1 goal and 1 assist in 12 games for Minnesota) He captained the US-18 team last season and is well liked by USA hockey.

He's also Fast with a capital F.. maybe two F's.. he's fast. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
theo6060 said:
Why is it Bobby Ryan is not on the team?

The U.S. rarely takes draft eligible CHL players. Don't ask me the reason exactly, although I think for the most part they're younger, and the U.S. traditionally relies on older NCAA players. Ryan should be in the running next year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
LemonDrop_27 said:
Any ideas on the lines and defensive pairings?

The US seems deepest at center with Fritsche, O'Sullivan, Hensick, Schremp and Kessel. I agree with a former poster that Kessel will probably be the 13th forward with alot of PP time. So that leaves you with four super skilled centers. I can't see using either Schremp or Hensick as a fourth line center. Does Schremp play the wing at all? He seems like a better choice to move to the wing than Hensick.

I think its tough to project the top three line but I see Dowell centering the fourth line with Brown on the right wing and either Weller or Bourque on the left. Any thoughts?

Anyone think the US will pair Lee with Suter?

1) The U.S. is deep with centers, so some guys (like Hensick) will have to move over to the wing. I think O'Sullivan and Schremp will anchor the top two lines, with Bourque as the likely candidate on the 3rd.

2) I think the 4th line will consist of Dowell, Brown and Weller, with Porter another possibility.

3) Lee will be the 7th D-man. He's there for experience.

IkeaMonkey*

littleHossa said:

Bourque also has a problem with not being physical. A lot of times, he will tail off a puck going into the trenches and will just basically give up on it. Even when he is not the first in, say a BU player is in the corners and has two guys on him, Bourque will coast around the net and not get involved helping his teammate. However, he loves to throw hits on the backcheck. I just wish he'd be more physical in the corners...most importantly,he needs to stop taking stupid penalties.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hab Fan said:
I disagree, the US will miss their best player, Zach Parise. He was the heart and soul the last couple years. Very tough to replace. Nobody on this roster compares, especially in big games. Zach did it all.

I think Patrick O'Sullivan would disagree with you, as he came to play in the biggest game of them all. Parise will be missed, but the team has enough talent and heart to make up for his absence.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
nomorekids said:
that's a pretty bold prediction, because to me...canada doesn't look as good as last year, and the US looks just about the same.

I don't see how you can defend that position with any kind of logic. Canada has a large amount of returnees. In other words we have players coming back who are a year older, more experienced, further developed, etc. They were good enough to make the team at age 18 (or younger in Crosby's case) and now should be even more dominant.

Your comments about Crosby are puzzling to say the least. Why would he not play a bigger role a year later when he's older, stronger, more developed, etc. Your Sutter comments are puzzling as well. I don't see Darryl sticking Iginla on the 3rd line so that he can play grinders on the 1st line. I didn't see Brian shy away from using softer skill guys like Stillman and Bure despite the fact he had grittier options. For the same reason you will see Crosby in a scoring role.

Use your head man, it doesn't appear you really thought it through. Funny how some people are talking about this being one of the best junior teams ever and you think they've regressed...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
HokEGoalie said:
Bourque also has a problem with not being physical. A lot of times, he will tail off a puck going into the trenches and will just basically give up on it. Even when he is not the first in, say a BU player is in the corners and has two guys on him, Bourque will coast around the net and not get involved helping his teammate. However, he loves to throw hits on the backcheck. I just wish he'd be more physical in the corners...most importantly,he needs to stop taking stupid penalties.

Just think of him as this year's version of Brady Murray (in more then one way).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad