Status
Not open for further replies.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Hab Fan said:
Interesting comment. Canada has a better team, remember Crosby is one year older and had some experience, and that Sutter is coaching. He will play a grinding in you face old fashioned style of game. They will run the goalie every time and be very physical. I know the US has speed, but I saw some of these kids and I am not sure they have the moxy to go toe to toe for 60 minutes of Sutter hockey. Just one persons opinion.

Hm, I disagree that Canada is better this year. Crosby was practically invisible last year, and I could see Sutter using him in the same way he was used last year(on the third line, at times) simply because he favors the Western players. Really, in terms of Canadian forwards, only Stewart and Bergeron really concern me..and to a lesser extent Dawes and Crosby. Factor in also that Fleury didn't really collapse until the finals, and the team had a lot of confidence in him for most of the tournament. I dont see them having that kind ofconfidence in front of a guy like Dubnyk.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
nomorekids said:
Hm, I disagree that Canada is better this year. Crosby was practically invisible last year, and I could see Sutter using him in the same way he was used last year(on the third line, at times) simply because he favors the Western players. Really, in terms of Canadian forwards, only Stewart and Bergeron really concern me..and to a lesser extent Dawes and Crosby. Factor in also that Fleury didn't really collapse until the finals, and the team had a lot of confidence in him for most of the tournament. I dont see them having that kind ofconfidence in front of a guy like Dubnyk.

If you dont expect Crosby to have an increased roll this year.. youre delusional.

Crosby is the best player in the CHL.. and theyre going to stick him on the 3rd line? No.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Hab Fan said:
Other than Suter who's going to defend in front of the net when forwards crash the net?

That's not the style the US plays, though. Remember that they're not sending a power group...they're sending a team like last year, with more emphasis on finesse and speed. The thing that ultimately beat Canada last year wasn't outmuscling them, but the fact that the Canadian defense couldnt' skate with the american forwards. There was no forecheck or net crashing to speak of...but guys like o'sullivan, schremp, hensick, fritsche...all have the wheels to get through the canadian walls, and a stand-up goalie like Dubnyk could have trouble if these guys get in and start busting out the moves.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dem said:
If you dont expect Crosby to have an increased roll this year.. youre delusional.

Crosby is the best player in the CHL.. and theyre going to stick him on the 3rd line? No.

Wasn't he supposedly the best last year, too?

Where did he play?

The third line.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Are you kidding me? He was a 16 yr old first timer. The youngest player to score a point for Canada.
No one was expecting him on the first line last year.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Hab Fan said:
Other than Suter who's going to defend in front of the net when forwards crash the net?

And thats why Im just barely slightly surprised Nickerson didnt get picked(even as a 7th d-man), since he's an absolute beast(listed at 6'5 257 on the Victoriaville site) and his strength is in his defensive game. Plus it would have been nice to see him catch Crosby with his head down, like Phaneuf on Olesz last year ;)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
nomorekids said:
Wasn't he supposedly the best last year, too?

Where did he play?

The third line.

I think the general consensus is that Crosby will play a much more prominent roll this year. Last year at this point, he'd made a splash, but only had two months of junior hockey under his belt. Similar situation to what Kessel is in this year.

But overall, I agree with the U.S.'s strategy. No use trying to beat the Canadians at their strength. Turn the game into a track meet and hope you win that way. Both teams have the horses that it would be a lot of fun to watch, although I expect Sutter will try and grind the Americans down. Should be a lot of fun to watch either way.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chaos said:
And thats why Im just barely slightly surprised Nickerson didnt get picked(even as a 7th d-man), since he's an absolute beast(listed at 6'5 257 on the Victoriaville site) and his strength is in his defensive game.

As nomorekids said, that's not the style the U.S. is planning on playing. You're going to see a carbon copy of last year's effort, I can guarantee it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
dem said:
Are you kidding me? He was a 16 yr old first timer. The youngest player to score a point for Canada.
No one was expecting him on the first line last year.

but didn't the selection of the team itself show you anything? why guys like colin fraser were picked over seemingly obvious choices like steve bernier? this is sutter's team, and crosby isn't from sutter's school. i think that everyone that's expecting crosby to put up record numbers playing on canada's first line, some kind of unstoppable scoring machine, are going to be disappointed. in fact, i'd wager that schremp will outscore him pretty handedly.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
Can someone tell me about Mike Brown and Jake Dowell? I havent heard about these players before. What are they good at?

I am guessing some people havent heard of Porter. He's having a good rookie year at Uni of Michigan, recently winning the CCHA rookie of the week. He's being given responsibility in all situations and the coach trusts him. Seems set to be a role player on this team as well. Increased his stock since the draft when INCH rated him the top incoming forward from the US NTDP and up there with guys like Chucko.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Rabid Ranger said:
As nomorekids said, that's not the style the U.S. is planning on playing. You're going to see a carbon copy of last year's effort, I can guarantee it.

Yeah I see what you are saying...but I would think you'd want at least one real big strong guy on defense(which they may have among a few of the guys most people haven't heard of).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Stevex said:
Can someone tell me about Mike Brown and Jake Dowell? I havent heard about these players before. What are they good at?

I am guessing some people havent heard of Porter. He's having a good rookie year at Uni of Michigan, recently winning the CCHA rookie of the week. He's being given responsibility in all situations and the coach trusts him. Seems set to be a role player on this team as well. Increased his stock since the draft when INCH rated him the top incoming forward from the US NTDP and up there with guys like Chucko.

Brown and Dowell are grinders, albeit with some skill. You'll probably see Porter join them on the fourth line.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Chaos said:
Yeah I see what you are saying...but I would think you'd want at least one real big strong guy on defense(which they may have among a few of the guys most people haven't heard of).

Casey Borer is that guy. I'm not surprised most poeple aren't familiar with him as he plays for St.Cloud St. He's big, and solid in his own zone. The key to this defense is everyone can skate, and skate well. The goal is to skate/pass the puck out of the zone as quickly as it comes in, and I think this is the unit to do it.

Mountain Dude

The Albino said:
Not enough Californians on the team. Hockey USA is dividing this fine land, and I move we don't cheer for them this year!

Err...

On a serious note, very good looking team. As a fan of team Canada, Russia and the US scare me this year, particularly the US with Montoya in nets.

:werd:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:
i'm a little surprised at that, and at the same time not at all.

The U.S. has alot of forwards like him: good overall talent, great skater, solid fundamentals. It clearly came down to the numbers game and who the U.S. liked better. As an aside, is he hurt right now?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
nomorekids said:
but didn't the selection of the team itself show you anything? why guys like colin fraser were picked over seemingly obvious choices like steve bernier? this is sutter's team, and crosby isn't from sutter's school. i think that everyone that's expecting crosby to put up record numbers playing on canada's first line, some kind of unstoppable scoring machine, are going to be disappointed. in fact, i'd wager that schremp will outscore him pretty handedly.

I'd take that bet.

Not to take anything away from Schremp, as he is having a great year, but I'd like to see himlead a team in scoring before wagering about whether he will lead a tournement in scoring.

To be honest, I think it's more likely Schremp will be in the US third line than Crosby will be on Canada's third line.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
nomorekids said:

I don't know how Crosby will be used, but I would be shocked if it's not in a prominent role on either the 1st or 2nd line with loads of PP time. He's not going to be a 3rd line grinder, I can assure you of that. As for Schremp outscoring him, we'll see about that, although he'll get his opportunities.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Sigh... all work and no play, makes Jack Johnson a dull boy.

Interested to see what Lee can do, but don't understand the selection over Johnson. He doesn't do anything that Johnson can't, and is less proven. Makes no sense to me, other than maybe they didn't wanna remove too many players from the NTDP team since they've lost enough already (pulled that explanation out of my ass).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad