U18: Team Switzerland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Muggli has been by far the best Swiss defenseman in the tournament so far.

I think that's Schneller and I'm not sure it's close. Having said that, given that he's an underager, Muggli has been good. He's been better than Ustinkov.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I think that's Schneller and I'm not sure it's close. Having said that, given that he's an underager, Muggli has been good. He's been better than Ustinkov.

Schneller has been good, I admit that much. Good offensive contribution and some heroics defensively. But overall I am more impressed with Mugglis great consistency in his own zone. All those high percentage plays add up and are extremely valuable in preventing chances against. He just had a very important clear on the PK at the end of the period too.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, the goal was a bit too easy because nobody was attacking him at all...still...since there were doubts around his shot...that was a very nice shot from Ustinkov.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Well, the goal was a bit too easy because nobody was attacking him at all...still...since there were doubts around his shot...that was a very nice shot from Ustinkov.

Yeah it was a great shot. He certainly seems to be improving in that area. I remember him on the U17 team often firing weak low danger shots right into the goalie à la Noah Delémont not even a year ago. He did have all the time in the world for the windup though, wich won't be the same against the top teams.

josi90

May 2, 2023
Does somebody have a opinion on Tim Horak?
Saw he got left out on the Squad for the WJC but was there best scoring defender in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in last years August.

Reactions: Hinterland

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Does somebody have a opinion on Tim Horak?
Saw he got left out on the Squad for the WJC but was there best scoring defender in the Hlinka Gretzky Cup in last years August.
Good question. I like Horak. Could have been an injury or a sickness since he was on the initial roster posted by the SIHF. Or it was just another Jenni brainfart. I don't know. Based on quality, Horak should have been on the team and the same goes for Lekic.

Reactions: josi90

josi90

May 2, 2023
Good question. I like Horak. Could have been an injury or a sickness since he was on the initial roster posted by the SIHF. Or it was just another Jenni brainfart. I don't know. Based on quality, Horak should have been on the team and the same goes for Lekic.
I agree, as i heard he went to Basel with the Team fit and healthy but he got never registered somehow… Could definitely helped the team i guess. What you think does the future hold for Horak? Maybe U20 WJC next Winter?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree, as i heard he went to Basel with the Team fit and healthy but he got never registered somehow… Could definitely helped the team i guess. What you think does the future hold for Horak? Maybe U20 WJC next Winter?
Probably not. The 04 born players are thin upfront but very deep on defense. If anything they're gonna need a righty so maybe Eric Schneller has a chance. All other 05 or 06 defenders probably only have a chance in case of injuries.

I like Horak though. Haven't seen much but he's bigger than his father and probably at least as talented.

Reactions: josi90

josi90

May 2, 2023
Probably not. The 04 born players are thin upfront but very deep on defense. If anything they're gonna need a righty so maybe Eric Schneller has a chance. All other 05 or 06 defenders probably only have a chance in case of injuries.

I like Horak though. Haven't seen much but he's bigger than his father and probably at least as talented.
Yeah thats true, pretty though to get a spot as an 05 defender in the next WJC in the next Winter. But should definetely be a Opinion in the WJC 2025. Though he had a pretty good Season with 20 Point i guess in 32 Games, not that bad for playing almost all season long 3 Line. Balestra and he looked pretty good together the few games i saw them. Good Chemistry and a lot of Skills especially on the O-Zone. Would have been a pretty good Duo in the WJC.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Looking through my notes from the U18s and Alain Graf is a player who stood out to me and I was shocked to see he had some of the worst point totals among Swiss forwards in the U20 league. Can you guys (@Speyer @Hinterland maybe) tell me more about him?

josi90

May 2, 2023
Looking through my notes from the U18s and Alain Graf is a player who stood out to me and I was shocked to see he had some of the worst point totals among Swiss forwards in the U20 league. Can you guys (@Speyer @Hinterland maybe) tell me more about him?
He played in a pretty bad team in Bern this season. But in general he was not that productive offensively this season. 5 games and only 1 point at the WJC.
Defensively I think he's good though, does his job, wins bullies well and is a safe value in the back.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He played in a pretty bad team in Bern this season. But in general he was not that productive offensively this season. 5 games and only 1 point at the WJC.
Defensively I think he's good though, does his job, wins bullies well and is a safe value in the back.
Yeah. Decent player who will make his way. Righty with good defensive awareness and faceoff skills. I don't think he has the offense to become more than a valuable player in Europe's top leagues though. There's also younger Swiss born players who do everything he does just as well. Antenen for example. Because of his lack of production he's already kinda getting passed over. Graf could be like a younger Julian Walker but probably not much more.

Reactions: Speyer and josi90

josi90

May 2, 2023
Yeah. Decent player who will make his way. Righty with good defensive awareness and faceoff skills. I don't think he has the offense to become more than a valuable player in Europe's top leagues though. There's also younger Swiss born players who do everything he does just as well. Antenen for example. Because of his lack of production he's already kinda getting passed over. Graf could be like a younger Julian Walker but probably not much more.
Yes has the potential to be a very solid centre with defensive focus and occasional scoring. Physically he could definitely become a player like Julian Walker, but he would have to make more hits.

Reactions: Speyer

josi90

May 2, 2023
I read that Braillard had contact with 3 NHL teams. Did others also have contact with NHL teams?
Switzerland had 3 ranked players at the WJC.
Simon Meier
Lenn Zehnder
Eric Schneller

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
I read that Braillard had contact with 3 NHL teams. Did others also have contact with NHL teams?
Switzerland had 3 ranked players at the WJC.
Simon Meier
Lenn Zehnder
Eric Schneller

On the Mysports broadcast of the swiss games the play by play guy said (in reference to Swiss NHL scout Thomas Roost) that some scouts were keeping an eye out for Simon Meier and Alain Graf. And while I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scouts actually talked to Meier and Graf, or even a few of the other 05 born players, I would be surprised if any of them get drafted. In the past much more accomplished players like Knak, Biasca, Rochette etc. got passed over after all. I could maybe see a team taking a chance on Braillard in the seventh round or so, but that would be it. At least for this year.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
On the Mysports broadcast of the swiss games the play by play guy said (in reference to Swiss NHL scout Thomas Roost) that some scouts were keeping an eye out for Simon Meier and Alain Graf. And while I wouldn't be surprised if some of the scouts actually talked to Meier and Graf, or even a few of the other 05 born players, I would be surprised if any of them get drafted. In the past much more accomplished players like Knak, Biasca, Rochette etc. got passed over after all. I could maybe see a team taking a chance on Braillard in the seventh round or so, but that would be it. At least for this year.
De Luca is gonna get drafted. 90% at least I'd say. Could go as high as 2nd round I'd say. Could fall to the later rounds as well but I'd be shocked if he's overlooked completely.

Simon Meier and Eric Schneller got ranked by Central Scouting so they're likely on NHL teams radar as well. Having said that, I agree with you that even Braillard is probably a long shot to get drafted.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
De Luca is gonna get drafted. 90% at least I'd say. Could go as high as 2nd round I'd say. Could fall to the later rounds as well but I'd be shocked if he's overlooked completely.

Simon Meier and Eric Schneller got ranked by Central Scouting so they're likely on NHL teams radar as well. Having said that, I agree with you that even Braillard is probably a long shot to get drafted.
De Luca was born in late 04, therefore I didn't mention him. Dionicio could get taken as well as an overager. While I wouldn't bet my life savings against Meier and Schneller getting drafted, it would just go against the standard from the last few years. If Rochette, Biasca etc. don't get selected, I just don't see how they could. The only argument for them right now is that the expansion is watering down the talent pool somewhat. But I doubt that will be enough for them to get taken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad