Mattias Weinhandl, Modo (SEL)
Henrik Zetterberg, Timrå (SEL)

EDIT: Updated with Niklas Kronwall.

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
cyclops said:
hmmmm......looks decent.

Decent is the way to put it, even though I look forward to watching them play.

Players that will not represent Sweden (for various reasons):
Goaltenders: none really
Defensemen: Nicklas Lidström, Daniel Tjärnqvist, Kim Johnsson, Mattias Öhlund, Marcus Ragnarsson, Dick Tärnström, Henrik Tallinder, Niclas Hävelid, Andreas Lilja, Mattias Timander
Forwards: Peter Forsberg, Markus Näslund, Mats Sundin, Michael Nylander, Fredrik Modin, Kristian Huselius, Marcus Nilson, Tomas Holmström, Andreas Johansson etc..

espo*

That's obviously some of their best talent not playing.Still,there is some solid talent on board an according to what i have heard Sweden finally has a goaltender that won't lose games for them.I think what they've got is good enough honestly if they approach the tournament mentally correct.first,they can start by being positive with what they have
1. supposedly great goaltending

2.Quality players who HAVE played competitive hockey this season

3. Decent defense with a decent forward mix.

Time for Swedish fans to forget the negatives because what they do have going for them in positives is just about as long as anyone else at this tournament if you ask me.Every team has their questions and i would venture to say a few have more questions then Sweden this year. If the team believes in themselves,comes together,gets the work between the pipes,handles adversity and does'nt back off into some passive defensive shell in big games where they get the lead in then their chances of winning are about as good as anyones.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
cyclops said:
That's obviously some of their best talent not playing.Still,there is some solid talent on board an according to what i have heard Sweden finally has a goaltender that won't lose games for them.I think what they've got is good enough honestly if they approach the tournament mentally correct.first,they can start by being positive with what they have
1. supposedly great goaltending

2.Quality players who HAVE played competitive hockey this season

3. Decent defense with a decent forward mix.

Time for Swedish fans to forget the negatives because what they do have going for them in positives is just about as long as anyone else at this tournament if you ask me.Every team has their questions and i would venture to say a few have more questions then Sweden this year. If the team believes in themselves,comes together,gets the work between the pipes,handles adversity and does'nt back off into some passive defensive shell in big games where they get the lead in then their chances of winning are about as good as anyones.

I agree, this roster looks pretty good considering all the players who won't be in Austria

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
Where did.....

stv11 said:
I agree, this roster looks pretty good considering all the players who won't be in Austria

What ever happened to Johan Hedberg? He was doing alright with Vancouver in the playoffs the other year wasn't he? You'd think that Sweden, with it's shallow goaltending situation would take a look at Hedberg, wouldn't you?

:propeller

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
finska said:
What ever happened to Johan Hedberg? He was doing alright with Vancouver in the playoffs the other year wasn't he? You'd think that Sweden, with it's shallow goaltending situation would take a look at Hedberg, wouldn't you?

:propeller

Considering that Lundqvist outplayed goalies such as Théodore, Gerber, Norrena and Kiprusoff, I wouldn't call Sweden's goalie situation shallow

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
stv11 said:
Considering that Lundqvist outplayed goalies such as Théodore, Gerber, Norrena and Kiprusoff, I wouldn't call Sweden's goalie situation shallow

Shallow meaning that they don't have a stockpile of above average goalies at their disposal. One up and coming goalie doesn't mean that Sweden is solid in the net overall. But anyways, that wasn't my point.. WHERE is Hedberg?

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
finska said:
Shallow meaning that they don't have a stockpile of above average goalies at their disposal. One up and coming goalie doesn't mean that Sweden is solid in the net overall. But anyways, that wasn't my point.. WHERE is Hedberg?
Playing with Leksand in kvalserien at the moment, last round today.
I would have selected him over Holmqvist.

Last edited:

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
finska said:

Sorry, I misunderstood the meaning of "shallow"

Art Vandelay

Jan 14, 2004
Stockholm
www.eliteprospects.com
Made a mistake earlier, its still a preliminary roster.

G:
Henrik Lundqvist
Stefan Liv
Johan Holmqvist

D:
Mattias Norström
Christian Bäckman
Ronnie Sundin
Kenny Jönsson
Thomas Rhodin
Jonas Frögren
Sanny Lindström
Magnus Johansson

F:
Henrik Zetterberg
Daniel Alfredsson
Magnus Kahnberg
Daniel Sedin
Mattias Weinhandl
Jonathan Hedström
Johan Franzen
Henrik Sedin
Peter Nordström
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Per-Johan Axelsson
Mikael Samuelsson
Jonas Höglund
Jörgen Jönsson
Yared Hagos

One spot open for Niklas Kronwall http://www.swehockey.se/files/{A3139B10-681D-4046-9C94-BBFDA5257F8B}.pdfhttp://www.swehockey.se/files/%7BA3139B10-681D-4046-9C94-BBFDA5257F8B%7D.pdf

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
jtuzzi21 said:
Sedins will get some ice-time...maybe top two lines.
i'd love to see them with alfredsson.. and pray to god hoglund is neither with them nor on the team *sighs*

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
andora said:
i'd love to see them with alfredsson.. and pray to god hoglund is neither with them nor on the team *sighs*

Be sure, Höglund will get ice time. Bengt-Åke Gustafsson was his coach in Färjestad.

Alfredsson will probably play with Påhlsson and Axelsson, that line was awesome for Frölunda in the SEL playoffs.

SChan*

the sedins, jönsson and nordström are 4 players I didn't want to see on this team. Seriously, Jönsson and Nordström did nothing in the finals. Just old merits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->