Feb 27, 2002
Throughout the tournament

* = Poor tournament
** = Decent tournament
*** = Good tournament
**** = Very good tournament
***** = World class tournament

Ronnie Sundin
Good enough for the SEL, good enough for the World Championship even, but definitely to slow for the top players in the World.

Fredrik Modin
Picked it up, but considering he was more or less invisible for 4-5 games, he gets one star.

Mikael Samuelsson
Skated hard, but I expected him to be more physical and too bad he did not fit that well with the Sedins. Was not that noticeable while playing with his Red Wings team mates either.

Stefan Liv
Difficult opening game for Liv. Did okay without shining.

Mika Hannula
Performed according to expectations and brought some speed. Still, Hedström would obviously have been a much better fit.

Daniel Tjärnqvist
He was praised for his play, but I though Tjärnqvist had a pretty average tourney. Did not look too comfortable while in the control of the puck.

Christian Bäckman
Really picked up his play in the medal round, but was brutal in the group play. Could not pass the puck at all, but looked much better when it really mattered.

Daniel Alfredsson
Sweden's leading scorer with 10 points in 8 games. Still, Alfredsson was not very good, nor dominant, but important and valuable because of the goals and points that he scored.

Niklas Kronwall
IMO, Kronwall will Sweden's #1 defenseman in 2010. He has got it all. Was good in the two games he played, but were also called for several penalties.

Peter Forsberg
Looked incredibly slow on his skates most of the tournament. Looked somewhat faster in the final three games though. His passing is still world class IMO, but I still think it was obvious that this was not Peter at his very best.

Mattias Öhlund
Looked good until he got hurt. Not as physical as I would have wanted, but still nothing really to complain about.

Jörgen Jönsson
All those constant Jönsson bashers, clearly do not have a clue. Another very strong tournament by Jönsson who was superb defensively, did probably not have a single mistake in the tournament, while also doing a good job in the offensive end. Only problem I had was with the coach letting Jönsson play on the PP. There were better options there.

Mats Sundin
Very obvious that Mats is not the player he was 4-5 years ago. Not as fast or dangerous with the puck, still very strong though and an exceptional leader.

Henrik Sedin
Did not receive enough credit in this tournament IMO. Was very good defensively, especially on the pk-unit, and good offensively as well. Probably the slowest skating forward on this team, together with his brother, but he has the smarts and the technical skills to make up for that.

Daniel Sedin
See above. Imo they had pretty much identical tournaments, only that Hank got two goals more.

Mikael Tellqvist
Did very well against the Slovaks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Was just superb in the final. Overall, not so great to be honest. Looked hesitant to challenge defensemen, but improved during the course of the tournament. Will probably be Sweden's top player in the next olympics.

Per-Johan Axelsson
I think PJ improved throughout the tournament and in the medal rounds he was very good at what he does, which is to take out the top opposing players, skate hard and kill penalties. Always does a great job on team Sweden.

Tomas Holmström
The heart and soul of this team. A top role player in the world and thanks to Holmström's screening, Sweden scored several goals.

Niclas Hävelid
Underrated. Excellent defensively.

Henrik Lundqvist
Gets an extra star thanks to his performance in the final game. He let in 2-3 mediocre shots in the tournament, but was terrific when it mattered the most. That is really what matters. Lunkan is a winner.

Nicklas Lidström
His best tournament ever with Team Sweden. Lidström along with Kenny Jönsson were the top defensemen on this team. Superb offensively, superb defensively. Nuff said.

Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Was arguably Sweden's top player in the last WC tournament and in this tournament, he was the top forward. An amazing defensive player and Sweden's top physical player in this tournament. Sad how little recognition PÃ¥hlsson gets in the NHL.

Kenny Jönsson
Lol, a Swedish second tier league player being arguably the top player in the tournament :) Jönsson was amazing, although I still consider Lidström slightly better. A rock in his own end.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Predatore said:
Niclas Hävelid
Underrated. Excellent defensively.
That's been the story of his season with the Thrashers. He's the team's MVP in my opinion. Others have had stronger stretches, but he's been rock solid from opening night, day in and day out.

SChan*

Mikael samuelsson a 2 only? That guy deserved atleast a 3. 2 is way off.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
Modin scored two VERY important goals for us, he should at least get 2 stars, I know he was invisible during the first game but when the games actually ment something he scored.

McCullogh

Feb 4, 2006
Paris
My ratings:

Ronnie Sundin

Stefan Liv
Mika Hannula
Daniel Tjärnqvist
Christian Bäckman

Fredrik Modin
Henrik Lundqvist
Peter Forsberg
Mattias Öhlund
Jörgen Jönsson
Mikael Samuelsson
Henrik Sedin
Daniel Sedin
Mikael Tellqvist

Niklas Kronwall
Per-Johan Axelsson
Tomas Holmström
Kenny Jönsson
Niclas Hävelid
Henrik Zetterberg
Mats Sundin
Daniel Alfredsson

Nicklas Lidström
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson

Edit: Alfie was 4*... at least. :)

Ducksforcup

Jan 5, 2006
Irvine, California
Predatore said:
Throughout the tournament
Samuel PÃ¥hlsson
Was arguably Sweden's top player in the last WC tournament and in this tournament, he was the top forward. An amazing defensive player and Sweden's top physical player in this tournament. Sad how little recognition PÃ¥hlsson gets in the NHL.

:handclap: :handclap: :handclap: Good to see that Palhson did so well!!! :)

Raggamuffin

Oct 18, 2005
Excellent ratings Predatore. I actually agree with all of those picks except one. Holmström, though excellent arround the crease, is rather mediocre on the open ice and it showed in this tournament.

Good job. :clap:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Holmström is far from mediocre on the ice. His skills with the stick is actually very good. And what a warrior. We wouldn't have won if it wasn't for him.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Hmm.
They won gold.
That makes every single player on the team a superstar that rocks. :yo:

So 12 stars for everybody. :handclap:

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Predatore said:

Samuel PÃ¥hlsson

Nice to see Pahlsson get some recognition.

Go Sammy :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->