Olympics: Slovakia Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
Confirmed roster:

Goaltenders:
Branislav Konrád
Ján Laco
Patrik Rybár

Defensemen:
Ivan Baranka
Tomáš Starosta
Michal Čajkovský
Peter Čerešňák
Juraj Valach
Dominik Graňák
Juraj Mikuš
Marek Ďaloga

Forwards:
Ladislav Nagy
Tomáš Surový
Andrej Kudrna
Matej Paulovič
Michal Krištof
Matúš Sukeľ
Marek Hovorka
Tomáš Marcinko
Martin Bakoš
Patrik Lamper
Marcel Haščák
Lukáš Cingeľ
Miloš Bubela
Peter Ölvecký

Alternates:

Goaltenders:
Ciliak
J. Hudacek

Defensemen:
Gernat
Kotvan
Meszaros
Romancik

Forwards:
Hrnka
L. Hudacek
Skalicky
Tybor
Viedensky

Last edited:

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Assuming that NHL players will be allowed to start, what do you think, guys?

Hossa - Viedenský - Pánik
Gáborík - Daňo - Hrivík
Jurčo - Hudáček - Tatar
Cehlárik - Marcinko - Bakoš
Miklík, Surový

Chára - Čajkovský
Sekera - Marinčin
Ďaloga - MeszároÅ¡
Jaroš

Halák
Budaj
Hudáček/Laco/Čiliak

There are not many options. Question is by Budaj. Where will he play and how will he play.

But i would recommend you to make a team without NHL players.

In 2022 we could count with NHL. Not now.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Dont worry. It will be better.

Hossa and Gabby will take this tournament as a goodbye to hockey career, Zdeno Chara will dig in his basement for skates and sticks and will come to help. :D

And there will be also Nr 1 overall pick from draft 2021, that will help our team.

Plus half team of HC Slovan Bratislava, winner of Gagarin Cup.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hudacek
Godla
Rybar

Cajkovsky - Mezsaros
Sersen - Svarny
Baranka - Jurcina

Zaborsky - Hudacek - Reway
Miklik - Viedenský - Mikus
Bakos - Marcinko - Tybor
Hrnka - Statsny - Skalicky

Really hope Zaborsky makes a comeback.

caslava

Dec 1, 2017
Slovakia
I would not be shocked if we finished at the bottom of group. First game against “Russia” will be ugly. Maybe I’m being pessimistic, but every time you get your hopes up you end up being let down. I fully expect a loss in playoff round against Germany or Norway. Don’t even have football and World Cup in summer to look forward to after collapse by N.T last fall.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Hudacek
Godla
Rybar

Cajkovsky - Mezsaros
Sersen - Svarny
Baranka - Jurcina

Zaborsky - Hudacek - Reway
Miklik - Viedenský - Mikus
Bakos - Marcinko - Tybor
Hrnka - Statsny - Skalicky

Really hope Zaborsky makes a comeback.

I dont see any plus form Zaborsky. Sure, he is a experienced forward. But he has his own head and this season he doesnt show any special things, he should be preferred.

Reway is out.

Miklik? Why?

Godla? Hm, i dont know. There are another favorites. Like Laco or Ciliak. Then you have Hudacek. You cant ignore one of the top KHL goalies.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I really like Julo Hudacek and I would love to see him succeed with Slovak NT however he has proved it quite a lot of times that he's not as good in the NT jersey at men's level as he is in the KHL or SHL. Others have outperformed him in NT games.

As for Godla, this season Rybar has been better both in league play and in the NT when we are looking for a younger goalie.

I think they will have Laco on the final roster as he is the type of guy who will perform well on NT even if he struggles in league play.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I really like Julo Hudacek and I would love to see him succeed with Slovak NT however he has proved it quite a lot of times that he's not as good in the NT jersey at men's level as he is in the KHL or SHL. Others have outperformed him in NT games.

Something like Halak. But there is still hope, that he will do his star performance also in national team. Its hard to ignore such goalie. I mean, that would be totally crazy, if one of the best goalies in KHL will be ignored simply for his last recent games on WCH. Maybe Russia, Canada, Sweden could do it. But not Slovakia.

penepi

Jul 6, 2013
Bratislava
I am afraid we are going to be conservative with goalies, which might even mean that Laco who is having a horrible season will be a starter with Hudacek who's never played well for NT as a back-up.

Hudacek is having a great season in the KHL, but this is a 4-game tournament, we can't give him a chance just because it is him. My ideal (although unreal) trio: Čiliak, Rybár, Konrád/Godla.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
When's Slovakia going to announce the roster? Beyond the top NHL/KHL talent Slovakia does certainly seem to have many hard working guys that can play a checking style, I can certainly see them pulling off some nice upsets if they can get the goaltending. I have been a huge fan of Slovakia since the Palffy/Visnovsky days so I have hope they have a good tournament. Wish NHL teams had the option to release players since the vastly underused Winnipeg Jet Marko Dano could be a big player for them.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
When's Slovakia going to announce the roster? Beyond the top NHL/KHL talent Slovakia does certainly seem to have many hard working guys that can play a checking style, I can certainly see them pulling off some nice upsets if they can get the goaltending. I have been a huge fan of Slovakia since the Palffy/Visnovsky days so I have hope they have a good tournament. Wish NHL teams had the option to release players since the vastly underused Winnipeg Jet Marko Dano could be a big player for them.
Well, to be honest, we don't really have any top NHL/KHL talent anymore. Those hard working guys are all we have, with some small exceptions.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The roster was released:
Goalies: Branislav Konrád, Ján Laco, Patrik Rybár
D-men: Ivan Baranka, Tomáš Starosta, Michal Čajkovský, Peter Čerešňák, Juraj Valach, Dominik Graňák, Juraj Mikuš, Marek Ďaloga
Forwards: Ladislav Nagy, Tomáš Surový, Andrej Kudrna, Matej Paulovič, Michal Krištof, Matúš Sukeľ, Marek Hovorka, Tomáš Marcinko, Martin Bakoš, Patrik Lamper, Marcel Haščák, Lukáš Cingeľ, Miloš Bubela, Peter Ölvecký

Sipak4

Dec 18, 2014
The roster was released:
Goalies: Branislav Konrád, Ján Laco, Patrik Rybár
D-men: Ivan Baranka, Tomáš Starosta, Michal Čajkovský, Peter Čerešňák, Juraj Valach, Dominik Graňák, Juraj Mikuš, Marek Ďaloga
Forwards: Ladislav Nagy, Tomáš Surový, Andrej Kudrna, Matej Paulovič, Michal Krištof, Matúš Sukeľ, Marek Hovorka, Tomáš Marcinko, Martin Bakoš, Patrik Lamper, Marcel Haščák, Lukáš Cingeľ, Miloš Bubela, Peter Ölvecký

OMG where are Mezsaros, Reway, Viedensky, Hudacek brothers? Players from Slovakian league or Czech league cannot compensate them.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
OMG where are Mezsaros, Reway, Viedensky, Hudacek brothers? Players from Slovakian league or Czech league cannot compensate them.

The Slovak Olympic committee required all potential Olympians to fill in a questionnaire before the season, Reway didn't fill it in, so there's hardly any surprise, on top of that he hasn't played all that much this season due to the health trouble.

Hudacek brothers, well as it has been mentioned earlier Julo hasn't played well for the NT, even though he has been given quite a few chances. Libor has been playing with an injury, not sure whether the omissions has something to do with that.

Viedensky has disappeared off the scoresheet lately, though I still think that he should have been on the roster. Meszaros, I'm not sure whether there was any specific reason for him not being on the roster,

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk

These players arent the game changers. I mean, they are good, but not so special as we think. There is a very very little gap between them and the players in team. But i counted with Julo Hudacek. That is for me big surprise.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Someone worth looking at from the KHL perspective? Rybar? Paulovic?

Also only 1 Slovan player made the team? Are you serious? I get that Slovan is having a really rough season but guys like Viedensky or Mikus aren't better than Slovak league players? Really?

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I think Julo Hudacek's case has been discussed enough, I don't find his omission surprising at all. Good numbers in league play are no good in a short term tournament.

Libor and Viedensky have had a season marred by injuries, so that might have played a hand.

Meszaros, I suppose they could have had him instead of one of the older D-men, but it would hardly make a huge difference.

Overall, this team can only surprise.

Btw, Michal Kristof wasn't good enough for Bokros at the WJC, he is now good enough for Olympics. Well at least Jakub Lacka and Marek Valach have something to aspire to...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
And btw, I suppose it's telling that there isn't much of a controversy caused by these roster choices among Slovak fans.

Far more controversial is the decision to push the trade deadline in Slovak league until March 1st - allowing the teams to pick up players from Slovan after pretty much all of the regular season in Tipsport Liga has been played and also putting the second league top teams at a disadvantage in the playout as their trade deadline is a month earlier.

Also controversial is the decision to not have a break in Tipsport Liga during the Olympics which got a bit more controversial when you have so many Tipsport Liga players on the Olympic team. On the top of that there's the All Star weekend with Slovak, Czech, EBEL and DEL during the Olympics once again with the top Slovak Tipsport Liga players missing.

And now Banska Bystrica has decided not to release their coach Vlado Orszagh who is NT assistant coach for the Olympics...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->