Team Russia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
So, does anyone else feel Morozov got shafted in favour of Kharitonov?

He does lead the league in points, and Bars is 3rd... Dinamo is 7th, with three players on the original roster, and... Well, the national coach there.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Den said:
I just gotta say that's BS

If we see the Kharitonov-Datsyuk-Sushinsky combo it couldnt be all that far from what maybe happen. Although I would imagine Afinogenov would be used with Malkin + Ovechkin in that case... but that leaves Kovalev free and you never know.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
Yeah Vishnevski is a good selection, he was very good for Russia in the World Cup and has been pretty good defensively in the NHL.

I know during the World Championships Ovechkin, Malkin and Afinogenov played very well together. And I have heard a lot of people saying that Sushinsky and Datysuk have great chemistry together so maybe marry those two to Kovalchuk. Leaving Kovalev, Frolov and Yashin as well Kharitonov, Kozlov and Korolyuk.

But yeah they are missing 2 or 3 defensive forwards who can neutralize an opposition i'm not sure if players like Korolyuk, Kharitonov can do this against bigger opposition.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Kaizer said:
Vishnevsky will replace Zhitnik
Vishnevsky - Volchenkov :bow:

Those two will destroy opposing country's forwards, Yikes

And if you don't believe me, Ask any Leaf or Ales Hemsky

This Russian team looks really good and they have to be consider one of the favorites for the Gold

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
There's no doubt that Russia have an awesome roster but Canada, Sweden and Czech Republic also have great rosters. These roster are entirely made up of NHLers who are in form, also they have better defensive forwards in their rosters, this one area where Russia is lacking.

Proffessor G DIDDY

Oct 3, 2003
Visit site
The blue line squad for Russia is top class. You have solid defenders who absolutely can also lay a big hit like Volchenkov, Kasparaitus and Danny Markov mixed players that have a lot of offensive skill and speed such as Gonchar, A. Markov and dare I say it Kulyash.

But really if look at the rosters of Canada, Sweden and Czech Republic each of those teams have 3 or so players who are highly defensively responsible, this can be used to create a line which can not only neutralize an opponents 1st or 2nd line but also counterattack. I'm not sure if Russia have the players in order to create this type of highly important line.

shawn_kemp*

Malakhov said:
Tonight during the Habs game they mentionned that Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalev would play on the same line during the olympics.

I just gotta say.. whoa..

and of course some Canadian commentators already know what Russia's coach is going to do ... whoa!!! :sarcasm:

harper

Feb 4, 2006
Who are the players you have in mind? ie defensively responsible?just curious. secondly, has volchenkov really developed into a top class blue liner?a couple of years i lived in ottawa, and he seemed to have some promise, but seems to still be pretty low on the ottawa depth chart (which is no shame, given their depth).

shawn_kemp*

harper said:
Who are the players you have in mind? ie defensively responsible?just curious. secondly, has volchenkov really developed into a top class blue liner?a couple of years i lived in ottawa, and he seemed to have some promise, but seems to still be pretty low on the ottawa depth chart (which is no shame, given their depth).

I'm not a Sens fan, and I'm far from being one, but having seen around 15 of their games this season I would rank the Redden - Volchenkov pair as the top in the league.

They are the 2 most complementary defensemen in the game. Redden is great offensively but makes the right things defensively when he has to. Volchenkov is great defensively but makes the right things offensively when he has to. :teach:

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Jimmi Jenkins said:
This Russian team looks really good and they have to be consider one of the favorites for the Gold

I would never bet money on the Russians. If they get it together they will have a great chance of winning it, but in nameless tournaments they haven't so far. Probably its only a matter of time before they do though.

Its not only that they haven't won anything. They constantly played at around 50-60% of their capacity. I think I've seen them in all important international games the last 10 years and not sure if they once played a good team game. In a few games they have played great because they just where so much better then their opponent but never had a strong team effort combined with a good game plan.

TheDamned

"Only in Montréal"
Aug 5, 2005
Montréal
Yvon Pednault said yesterday on RDS that 1st line will most likely be:

Malkin-Kovalev-Ovechkin

Deadllly

Any words on Semin ? He can't play or he was not picked?

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
TheDamned said:

Malkin-Kovalev-Ovechkin

Deadllly

Krikunov was there ? Or is Yvon Pednault a russian team coach ? :dunno:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Proffessor G DIDDY said:
The blue line squad for Russia is top class. You have solid defenders who absolutely can also lay a big hit like Volchenkov, Kasparaitus and Danny Markov mixed players that have a lot of offensive skill and speed such as Gonchar, A. Markov and dare I say it Kulyash.

But really if look at the rosters of Canada, Sweden and Czech Republic each of those teams have 3 or so players who are highly defensively responsible, this can be used to create a line which can not only neutralize an opponents 1st or 2nd line but also counterattack. I'm not sure if Russia have the players in order to create this type of highly important line.

That's why they should have taken Brylin instead of Korolyuk. Even if Sergei isn't scoring, he's great defensively and can be used in any situation --- the ultimate utility forward.
I would have liked to seen him and Kharitonov on the penalty kill. :eek:

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Ola said:
I would never bet money on the Russians. If they get it together they will have a great chance of winning it, but in nameless tournaments they haven't so far. Probably its only a matter of time before they do though.

Its not only that they haven't won anything. They constantly played at around 50-60% of their capacity. I think I've seen them in all important international games the last 10 years and not sure if they once played a good team game. In a few games they have played great because they just where so much better then their opponent but never had a strong team effort combined with a good game plan.

Exactly, They could win the gold or implode and finish 8th and I wouldn't be suprised.

shawn_kemp*

CSKA said:

Pednault is Russia's coach? :eek:

They're my favorite to win the gold now! :sarcasm:

TORRUS

May 31, 2004
Beli
Zine said:
Exactly, They could win the gold or implode and finish 8th and I wouldn't be suprised.

People seem to be forgetting, Russia is still the only team to take the medals at both of the last 2 Olympics.

I expect this team to be much more of a team than all those teams Russia iced in the last 15 years... This is the new generation eager to play and win. No more Mogilnys, Zubovs, Khabibulins and other not-so-proud Russians or controversial players. With these Olympics Russia turns the page and forgets about the old Soviet days and continues it's own way.

shawn_kemp*

TORRUS said:
People seem to be forgetting, Russia is still the only team to take the medals at both of the last 2 Olympics.

What is said on this forums will not influence the results. Don't worry.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
harper said:
He's the #4 defenseman, and has been very good this year, and especially great in the last few weeks. Development is coming along great and he's only going to get better. I think he's 8th in the league in shot blocks and still plays a physical game.

TheDamned

"Only in Montréal"
Aug 5, 2005
Montréal
CSKA said:

No, but that guy has very good contacts and he spoke with people in Moscow and that's one things are shaping up right now...

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
TheDamned said:

Malkin-Kovalev-Ovechkin

Deadllly

Any words on Semin ? He can't play or he was not picked?

Morozov, Zherdev, Brylin, Taratukhin, Zvinovjev, Kaigorodov, Antipov, Mozyakin, But, Grigorenko, Kurdometov, Chistov.......

some forwards that would get named ahead of Semin to the Olympics just based on performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->