TEAM RUSSIA WC roster here it comes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe_shannon_1983*

The Russians are capable of bringing home the Gold Medal at any tournament if they bring their best possible team.

Any of the hockey superpowers are capable of winning any hockey tournament.

The difference between countries in hockey nowadays is so small that I wouldn't be surprised if any couintry won the World Cup, with the exception of Germany.

The fact of the matter is that Russia could have very well won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2002.

The Russians would have given Canada more difficulty than the U.S.A. in my opinion as their speed and skill would have given Canada fits, much more than the physicality of the American players as Canada is already adapted to playing a physical brand of hockey.

And Russia was very close to getting to that Gold Medal Game. What was the semi-final score between U.S.A.-Russia? 3-2? And that was with the Russians only giving 1 period worth of effort. And also, I still think Samsonov was robbed of a goal in the 3rd period as the video replay clearly showed the puck go in the net and Richter grabbed it and made it look like he made the save. The people in the booth saw it. Everyone saw it but the referees. So needless to say, that game very well could have went into a shootout. And the Russians are probably the most dangerous country in the world on breakaways.

And another previous game between U.S.A.-Russia in that tournament saw Russia completely dominate the Americans, with the Americans lucky to escape with a tie.

To say that there is no way Russia could win a hockey tournament like this is absurd.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
jcs_1983_shannonman said:
And Russia was very close to getting to that Gold Medal Game. What was the semi-final score between U.S.A.-Russia? 3-2? And that was with the Russians only giving 1 period worth of effort. And also, I still think Samsonov was robbed of a goal in the 3rd period as the video replay clearly showed the puck go in the net and Richter grabbed it and made it look like he made the save.

I agree with you. The replay clearly shows that the puck crossed the line. I don't understand why it wasn't reviewed.

Dec 27, 2002
Dat mitten
Slick Nick said:
«The adjective Byelorussian is still very wide-spread over the Web (54,000 pages according to the above data). This is an old Soviet form that stems from the Russian spelling of our name.

Given the destructive nature of the Russian imperial rule that Belarus had to endure, many people in Belarus would find the adjective Byelorussian even offensive. So if you want to treat Belarusians with respect, eliminate Byelorussian and other similar forms (Belorussian) from your vocabulary.»

Oh, cry me a river...

I wasn't making an editorial, I was trying to support my case that there are many Belarusian people offended by the word.

Markov

Apr 16, 2004
Land of ice and snow
wilka91 said:
I agree with you. The replay clearly shows that the puck crossed the line. I don't understand why it wasn't reviewed.

I've spent the last two years trying to forget that incident. :shakehead

Thanks a lot Bill McCreary. :mad:

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
The Russians are capable of bringing home the Gold Medal at any tournament if they bring their best possible team.

The difference between countries in hockey nowadays is so small that I wouldn't be surprised if any couintry won the World Cup, with the exception of Germany.

The fact of the matter is that Russia could have very well won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2002.

The Russians would have given Canada more difficulty than the U.S.A. in my opinion as their speed and skill would have given Canada fits, much more than the physicality of the American players as Canada is already adapted to playing a physical brand of hockey.

And Russia was very close to getting to that Gold Medal Game. What was the semi-final score between U.S.A.-Russia? 3-2? And that was with the Russians only giving 1 period worth of effort. And also, I still think Samsonov was robbed of a goal in the 3rd period as the video replay clearly showed the puck go in the net and Richter grabbed it and made it look like he made the save. The people in the booth saw it. Everyone saw it but the referees. So needless to say, that game very well could have went into a shootout. And the Russians are probably the most dangerous country in the world on breakaways.

And another previous game between U.S.A.-Russia in that tournament saw Russia completely dominate the Americans, with the Americans lucky to escape with a tie.

To say that there is no way Russia could win a hockey tournament like this is absurd.

I am russian fan but to say russia dominated any game unless some minutes in third period with USA in semifinal and both games with Belarus is a total DREAM...I dont know but the team i was watching didnt dominated ****...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Russia had the best of it in the first game against the U.S. in the 2002 Olympics, but it wasn't total domination. After all, the score was tied and the shots close. In the semi-final game, the U.S. did dominate Russia for two periods only to see Russia finally turn it on in the 3rd. Give credit where credit is due.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I agree. They only played well the first game against the US, the 1st period vs Finland, and finally dominated the 3rd period in the semifinal, but that's all.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Not sure if he's serious or not:

All teams were supposed to be named by Tuesday....Russia,
with managerial problems, has not named a team. Because of those problems,
Lightning goalie Nikolai Khabibulin said he might not play if asked.

From an NHL news column in today's St. Pete Times, that was all that was said on the subject. He's probably not the only one getting sick of waiting for them to get their act together. :)

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I hope this is the last time they screw things up.

Hopefully Fetisov and Larionov will take over the hockey federation before the 2006 Olympics, and everything will be fine. :D

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
I dunno why Wilka was goin after me...... If you want to argue that Canada isn't the best country on paper - then go ahead, it simple is, Canada left players off it's team that would be on team Russia rather easily (Bertuzzi, Shanahan, Murray, Marleau). My point is that Russia, on paper is the only team in the world that compares to Cananda -because they have the goaltending and the defensive depth (Sweden doesn' have the goaltending, America the goaltending OR defense, Czechs the defense and possibly even goaltending - as Vokoun isn't in the same level as Brodeur and Khabi, and the Fins don't have the high quality offensive depth). I always cheer for Russia because I LOVE seeing Canada vs Russia games - Russia clearly has lacked motivation becuase last olympics they should have been playing against Canada in the final - which as said WOULD have been MUCH tougher game for Canada because not only would Khabi's goaltending been FAR superior to Richter (what a joke it was having him play, lol) and their defense wasn't old and slow like the Americans.

Anyways..... will nobody answer or does anybody know the answer to my question about Tikonov?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
thome_26 said:
I dunno why Wilka was goin after me...... If you want to argue that Canada isn't the best country on paper - then go ahead, it simple is, Canada left players off it's team that would be on team Russia rather easily (Bertuzzi, Shanahan, Murray, Marleau). My point is that Russia, on paper is the only team in the world that compares to Cananda -because they have the goaltending and the defensive depth (Sweden doesn' have the goaltending, America the goaltending OR defense, Czechs the defense and possibly even goaltending - as Vokoun isn't in the same level as Brodeur and Khabi, and the Fins don't have the high quality offensive depth). I always cheer for Russia because I LOVE seeing Canada vs Russia games - Russia clearly has lacked motivation becuase last olympics they should have been playing against Canada in the final - which as said WOULD have been MUCH tougher game for Canada because not only would Khabi's goaltending been FAR superior to Richter (what a joke it was having him play, lol) and their defense wasn't old and slow like the Americans.

Anyways..... will nobody answer or does anybody know the answer to my question about Tikonov?

1. Patrick Marleau is on Team Canada.
2. Not all of Canada's "rejects" would make the Russian, or any other team.
3. I'll give you the goaltending, but there is no way Russia's defense is superior to that of the United States.
4. You must be bitter Russia was outclassed in the semi-final by the United States and had to settle for the bronze. This whole talk of lack of motivation is the biggest crock of all time.
5. How was Khabibulin superior to Richter when he lost? Richter stood on his head the whole tournament and kept the U.S. in the gold medal game. The reason the U.S. lost wasn't because of an old or slow defense (they were actually very quick overall), it was because they couldn't handle the physicality of the Canadian team, somthing Russia wouldn't have been able to do either.

ZBORNAJA

Dec 28, 2002
Visit site
4. You must be bitter Russia was outclassed in the semi-final by the United States and had to settle for the bronze. This whole talk of lack of motivation is the biggest crock of all time.

It is a mixture of coach(system) problems and motivation yes...Russian generation that plays now in NHL can only dream to have american dedication and motivation,with that they would be scary....
Maybe new generation will change that,Ilja for example has typical "american" mentality,but i fear he is only an exception rather than a new trend...I hope it is second...
And lack of physicality that u call from Russia team is evidence of this...

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
The roster will be announced on Friday.

It's almost certain that the coach will be Vladimir Yurzinov.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
thome_26 said:
...... If you want to argue that Canada isn't the best country on paper - then go ahead, it simple is, Canada left players off it's team that would be on team Russia rather easily (Bertuzzi, Shanahan, Murray, Marleau)

This is ridiculous, and I've said it before : if you're from North America, you must immediately stop thinking that the NHL has all the best hockey talent in the World. If Shanahan or Murray went to Russia, they would hardly crack the 30 points mark in 60 games. It's just a question of adapting to a game style.

So all this discussion about depth is pointless, because you're basing yourself on NHL stats, and that's what you're doing wrong in my opinion.

Slick Nick

Oct 29, 2003
Montréal
Visit site
wilka91 said:
The roster will be announced on Friday.

It's almost certain that the coach will be Vladimir Yurzinov.

I hope!!

From what I read about him, he's very appreciated by the NHLers and the RSLers. I also read somewhere he has a very popular summer training camp. Could anybody add to this? What are his carear achivements, what kind of system does he apply? What's his policy about young players?

thanks.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:

On paper, Russia is way better than the US in every aspect of the game ... offense, defense, & goaltending.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
Here is my Russian team:

Sergei Samsonov - Sergei Fedorov - Alexei Kovalev
Ilya Kovalchuk - Pavel Datsyuk - Pavel Bure
Andrei Nikolishin - Alexei Yashin - Alexander Mogilny
Vyacheslav Kozlov - Alexei Zhamnov - Valeri Bure
EXTRAS: Victor Kozlov, Nikolai Zherdev, Sergei Brylin

Sergei Gonchar - Daniil Markov
Darius Kasparaitis - Sergei Zubov
Alexei Zhitnik - Dmitri Yushkevich
EXTRAS: Andrei Markov, Oleg Tverdovsky

Nikolai Khabibulin
Evgeni Nabokov
EXTRAS: Ilya Bryzgalov

No offense to the thread starter but this team has abetter chance at winning then his.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Team Russia: All the players that aren't in conflict

Forwards:

Kovalchuk-Federov-Kovalev
Samsonov-Datsyuk-Bure
Frolov-Zhammnov-Kozlov or Ovechkin (Atl)
Saprykin-Chubarov-Kvasha

*Edit* Extras: Yashin, Chistov, Zholtok

Defence:

Malakhov-Gonchar
Markov-Zhitnik
Tverdovsky-Yuskevich

Goalies:

Khabibuhlin
Nabokov

This should be a good team with lots of firepower who should be good enough to win a medal along with Canada and Sweden. And they would be my hands-down pick to win the silver if Mogilny and Zubov were playing.

Foppa_Rules

Nov 1, 2003
Earth...how about you?
The Soviet Sports suggested this roster:

Goalkeepers--

Nikolay Habibullin (Tampa)

Evgenie Nabokov (San Jose)

Maxim Sokolov (Avant guarde)

Defenders--

Sergey Gonchar (Boston)

Daniel Markov (Philadelphia)

Oleg Tverdovsky (Avant guarde)

Vladimir Malakhov (Philadelphia)

Andrey Markov (Montreal)

Darjus Kasparajtis (Rejndzhers)

Dmitry Kalinin (Buffalo)

Alexander Havanov (Saint Louis)

Attacking--

Sergey Fedorov (Anaheim)

Alexey Yashin (Ajlenders)

Andrey Nikolishin (Colorado)

Paul Datsyuk (Detroit)

Alexey Zhamnov (Philadelphia)

Victor Kozlov (New Jersey)

Alexey Kovalev (Montreal)

Sergey Samsonov (Boston)

Maxim Afinogenov (Buffalo)

Vyacheslav Kozlov (Atlanta)

Alexey Morozov (Pittsburg)

Alexander Ovechkin (Dynamo)

Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta)

Andrey Kovalenko (Locomotive)

Alexander Koroljuk (San Jose)

joe_shannon_1983*

Foppa_Rules said:
The Soviet Sports suggested this roster:

Goalkeepers--
Nikolay Habibullin (Tampa)
Evgenie Nabokov (San Jose)
Maxim Sokolov (Avant guarde)

Defenders--
Sergey Gonchar (Boston)
Daniel Markov (Philadelphia)
Oleg Tverdovsky (Avant guarde)
Vladimir Malakhov (Philadelphia)
Andrey Markov (Montreal)
Darjus Kasparajtis (Rejndzhers)
Dmitry Kalinin (Buffalo)
Alexander Havanov (Saint Louis)

Attacking--
Sergey Fedorov (Anaheim)
Alexey Yashin (Ajlenders)
Andrey Nikolishin (Colorado)
Paul Datsyuk (Detroit)
Alexey Zhamnov (Philadelphia)
Victor Kozlov (New Jersey)
Alexey Kovalev (Montreal)
Sergey Samsonov (Boston)
Maxim Afinogenov (Buffalo)
Vyacheslav Kozlov (Atlanta)
Alexey Morozov (Pittsburg)
Alexander Ovechkin (Dynamo)
Ilya Kovalchuk (Atlanta)
Andrey Kovalenko (Locomotive)
Alexander Koroljuk (San Jose)

Goaltenders: I like the obvious top two, and I would substitute Sokolov for Bryzgalov.

Defensemen: Well, if Zubov and Zhitnik were to playm, then you have got to pick them. But if not then I like Andrei Markov and Alexander Khavanov as replacements. They need to get Yushkevich on there somewhere though, perhaps switching him for Malakhov.

Forwards: Again, if Mogilny would play, then he must be on there. The same with Pavel Bure. But assuming both Mogilny and Pavel Bure are out, then I would still tweak with it a little. I think that Valeri Bure and Sergei Brylin should be on this team. Subtract Korolyuk and Afinogenov to make that happen. And if there is no roster spots for Mogilny and Pavel Bure, then perhaps Oleg Kvasha would make a decent pickup, rather than Andrei Kovalenko. Even Zherdev or Frolov would be better than Kovalenko.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freezerburn

Mar 20, 2003
Just a question, I thought Zhitnik could not play for Russia as he was from or claimed nationality of another country. Am I wrong?

help would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->