Olympics: Russia Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Section32

May 26, 2011
CT
I only ask because he is a Ranger prospect, but is he truly viewed behind the other young Russian goalies at this point?
Will be fun regardless as at least three of them will most likely be divisional foes...
So, where does Shestyorkin fall right now?

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Just took a look at the Channel One roster.
Yea OK I get it, they're on SKA, but Khafizullin, Zub, Yakovlev, Ketov, Kablukov and Loko's Lyusbushkin should be nowhere near the olympic team. This is getting absurd.
There needs to be an intervention before Znarok's ridiculous roster selections, especially on D, cost us the OG.

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Russia 3-1 Sweden. Datsyuk didn´t play and won´t either because of injury, not sure how badly. Anyone knows more?

XokkeyGuy

Apr 30, 2013
Russia wins the Channel One Cup, which is the last tournament for the top participants in the upcoming Olympics and the teams had more or less their complete olympic roster.
Results:
Russia 3-1 Sweden
Russia 2-0 Canada
Russia 3-0 Finland.

Only 1 goal against, which was the first goal of the match in the first game against Sweden. I found it hard to see any form of a well thought out tactic as you could see before Znaroks time, it felt as if the team simple did everything better than the opponents. The question for the olympics is if they can continue to play without a tactic and just by inspiration to reach the gold?

Also, Datsyuk was meant to play but couldn´t due to a recent injury, but should be back for the olympics.
(Check the photo of the roster in the bottom of the previous page).

Night_Vole

Mar 25, 2007
T dot
Honestly even though they won all their games, I'm not really impressed with this team. Too much grinding and not enough skilled play. Part of that is coaching, but also player selection. You cannot honestly tell me that all the best players are from SKA and CSKA, it stinks of cronyism. If he wants to have one grinding line of his favourites like Telegin-Andronov-Plotnikov, then I don't see a problem with it. But it shouldn't mean excluding players like Markov, Tryamkin, Tkachyov. I'll reserve judgement till the actual olympic roster comes out, but it definitely worrying.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Kovalchuck - Datsyuk - Shirokov
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kagarlitsky
Kaprizov - Khokhlachev - Shalunov
Tkachyov - Tkachyov - Shumakov
Plotnikov, Mozyakin

Markov - Medvedev
Tryamkin - Voynov
Nesterov - Marchenko

Sorokin
Koshechkin
Shesterkin

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
SU Tkachyov shouldn't be nowhere near this team, if Koko does it it's on the wing and the defense is entirely down to preference. Voynov - Tryamkin as a first pairing sounds about right though.

Also lets face it, a lot of Telegins and Andronovs of this world will make this team over these guys.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
SU Tkachyov shouldn't be nowhere near this team, if Koko does it it's on the wing and the defense is entirely down to preference. Voynov - Tryamkin as a first pairing sounds about right though.

Also lets face it, a lot of Telegins and Andronovs of this world will make this team over these guys.
Voynov - Tryamkin never should be a first pairing. Tryamkin will not be on Znarok's roster and it's a crime. He should be. But both Voynov and Tryamkin not on the first pairing.

And of all people Telegin and Andronov are adequate 4th liners. I am more worried to see the likes of Kablukov and Ketov there. I have little interest for the tournament, but if Zarok brings something like at the KPK, I will lose it entirely and will probably look up the results afterwards.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Kovalchuck - Datsyuk - Shirokov
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kagarlitsky
Kaprizov - Khokhlachev - Shalunov
Tkachyov - Tkachyov - Shumakov
Plotnikov, Mozyakin

Markov - Medvedev
Tryamkin - Voynov
Nesterov - Marchenko

Sorokin
Koshechkin
Shesterkin
Fun game. Especially as it seems completely unpredictable with Znarok except for goalies. And I am happy for Koshechkin. He deserves it.

The lines as they should be even in Znarok's world:

Gusev - Shipachev - Shirokov
Zaripov - Tkachev -Mozyakin
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kaprizov
Telegin - Andronov - Plotnikov

Kagarlitsky

The D is such a crapshot...

jasonr90

Jun 11, 2014
Maine, USA
Fun game. Especially as it seems completely unpredictable with Znarok except for goalies. And I am happy for Koshechkin. He deserves it.

The lines as they should be even in Znarok's world:

Gusev - Shipachev - Shirokov
Zaripov - Tkachev -Mozyakin
Kovalchuk - Datsyuk - Kaprizov
Telegin - Andronov - Plotnikov

Kagarlitsky

The D is such a crapshot...

Sorry to be "that guy" but is Zaripov allowed to go? My understanding was that only the athletes that have never failed a drug test were allowed?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also Znarok might have some silly ideas but he's not that blind to not take Tryamkin and yet take Zaripov. Mozyakin should also only be 13th forward at this point and knowing Znarok's play style I don't think he's too thrilled about playing Mozyakin.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Question for Russian posters: as the KHL players are in, we should expect an announcement soon on what the team looks like. Any idea when?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Question for Russian posters: as the KHL players are in, we should expect an announcement soon on what the team looks like. Any idea when?

Olympics is a short tournament, so chemistry becomes probably the most important thing. That's why our brilliant head coach is entertaining an idea to get just SKA and CSKA players and make the team out of them. That's it.

Probably there is something in such an idea, but I really hate it. And I remember, as Canadians took Kunitz to the Olympics for his connection with Crosby, and it didn't work.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Znaroks sucks, but he won't take Zaripov. And rightfully so.
Have you watched him play not through some SKA glasses?

He is still the most skilled guy not named Datsyuk or Kovalchuk on that projected pool of players. Yes, more skilled than Mozyakin actually. He is not in his prime anymore, but he hasn't slowed down enough yet.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Sorry to be "that guy" but is Zaripov allowed to go? My understanding was that only the athletes that have never failed a drug test were allowed?
He never failed a test. He was cleared of all charges.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jasonr90

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Have you watched him play not through some SKA glasses?

He is still the most skilled guy not named Datsyuk or Kovalchuk on that projected pool of players. Yes, more skilled than Mozyakin actually. He is not in his prime anymore, but he hasn't slowed down enough yet.

There is a massive talent difference between Datsyuk and Kovalchuk in comparison to Zaripov. He might have been okay as a 4th-liner 10 years ago, but he is now 10 years too late! Leave Zaripov at home.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad