team rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Is anyone making that claim? I don't think so. IMO Brodeur gets the nod as the best because of his track record, after that's it's a crapshoot. There's really not alot of differance in the next ten or so goaltenders. You can see that by who made it to the final four in the NHL playoffs this year.

I'm making that claim. Luongo would start on every single team except Canada.

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
stockwizard said:
Sweden is soft and the Sedins are losers. If Sweden wins I will resign from this forum forever.
Slovakia forwards>Canadian Forwards :huh: :shakehead

All of a sudden I wouldn't mind it if Sweden beat out Canada for the cup.....

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
Slovakian fowards are better than canadian forwards?

Every player on the Canadian roster is one of the best in the league at what they do. The Slovakians have a very solid roster but they also have a few players who disappear when things matter the most, and this tournament will not be super European, no hitting hockey.

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Macman said:
If they get the goaltending, Sweden IS good enough everywhere else to win this thing. But you're right about their future. This is Sweden's last chance for a while because they've got nobody coming up. It might be just the incentive they need to finally put it together.

1. Canada. No weaknesses on paper. A lack of chemistry, too much pressure or bad bounces could be their only downfall.
2. Sweden. Excellent forwards and defence. Suspect goaltending and a history of folding when it counts could hurt.
3. Russia. Excellent goaltending and offence. Defence not as good as Canada or Sweden. Yashin is the X factor. Will he show up or disappear like he often does?
4. USA. Questionable goaltending. Core players getting long in the tooth, but still very dangerous. Will be highly motivated to defend their title.
5. Czech Republic. Highly skilled but enigmatic lineup. Which Jagr will we see? Ditto for Havlat? Goaltending, defence suspect.
6. Slovakia. As good as anybody up front, but weaknesses on defence and especially in goal.
7. Finland. The real darkhorse for me. Kiprusoff capable of carrying these guys a long way. Tough, gritty lineup.
8. Germany. No hope.

Without a doubt, this should be the most competive international hockey event ever with seven teams capable of winning it all in a one-game, sudden-death playoff format.

Lack of chemistry on Canada ??? What are you talking about??

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
1. Canada

- No weak spots. Can get a variety of players to play different roles and have undeniably at least 2 of the top 5 players in every position. No other country can say that.

2. Russia

- Lots of firepower with great goaltending. However, they are hurt by the absences of Zubov, Zhitnik, Malakhov and Mogilny. Still, they have some good defenceman but cannot match up against Canada on the back end.

3. Sweden

- Next to Canada they are the deepest team and they can play grittier hockey than a lot of people are giving them credit for. However, if the goaltending lets them down in the big game again they will fall short of a medal.

4- Czech Republic

- Great forwards with some of the greatest snipers in the NHL. Have some good defenceman, but not enough. Goaltending is solid but I see them as a team who won't match up well enough up the middle.

5- USA

- Lots of talent, but aging talent. A really good defence core who can move the puck but will probably fall short because of their goaltending.

6- Slovakia

- Incredibly potent offence that showcases probably more speed than any other team. If they had a #1 NHL goalie and 2 more steady defenceman they could compete for a medal. But not yet.

7- Finland

- A very admirable team who works hard and stays in games. Can play with anybody but just won't be able to go over the top. 7th of 8 is 2nd last, and doesnt look to great, but this team is really better than that. Because this tournament is so competitive, and so small their is just no other place to put them.

8- Germany

- Could play some teams close but they represent a HUGE drop-off from 7th to 8. Have some good Nhl'ers but need at least a half dozen other solid players to come close to contending for anything.

Macman

May 15, 2004
dangler19 said:
Lack of chemistry on Canada ??? What are you talking about??

Some teams, no matter how good on paper, don't gel in a short tournament with little preparation time. These guys don't normally play with each other. That's what I mean by lack of chemistry.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Macman said:
Some teams, no matter how good on paper, don't gel in a short tournament with little preparation time. These guys don't normally play with each other. That's what I mean by lack of chemistry.

well, that applies to every other country as well then...

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
arrbez said:
well, that applies to every other country as well then...

Not the United States. For better or worse this year's World Cup team is for the most part the same that won the championship in '96. Chemistry can be overrated though, as the same group of guys flamed out in '98, but than regrouped for '02. It's all about timing, health, and a hot goaltender IMO.

Last edited:

RoyIsALegend*

Rabid Ranger said:
It's all about timing, health, and a hot goaltender IMO.

Aside from timing, which is an independent variable, can you honestly say that the United States can realistically be either of the other two? That is, healthy and/or have a hot goaltender? I look at that roster and I can't.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Peter Sidorkiewicz said:
1. Canada
2. Russia
3. Czech Rep.
4. Sweden
5. USA
6. Finland
7. Slovakia
8. Germany

Looks like somebody finally go it right!!! :handclap: :handclap:

The tournament is Canadas to lose. Combine the best players in the world with what is essentiall home ice and you have a very good shot.

Czech Rep and Russia are the next best all-round teams. Some have better forwards, but non of the other (omit Canada) have better Defense or Goaltending.

Sweden and USA have good shots as well, but have their holes.

Finland and Slovakia both have gaping holes and have to have a lot of players step up if they are going to medal.

Germany... well... I think it would be hillarious if they won.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
RoyIsALegend said:
Aside from timing, which is an independent variable, can you honestly say that the United States can realistically be either of the other two? That is, healthy and/or have a hot goaltender? I look at that roster and I can't.

Health is fine, some are maybe coming off poor seasons, some might be on the decline and some might just be out of shape period, but health isn't a concern if you ask me. Goaltender is most definitely, but that's a well known fact..

RoyIsALegend*

Douggy said:
As of right now I don't even really know who is starting for the US. Boucher?? Dipietro?

Robert Esche.

No question.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
RoyIsALegend said:

Who is unhealthy? Hatcher? He should be fine. Esche? He seems intent on being on the ice in early June, so we'll have to see. Roenick? Again, he should be fine. Aside from those three I don't see health being an issue unless Jordan Leopold and Craig Conroy somehow suffer a serious injury tonight. There will be almost three months, even more for some players, to recover from any minor injuries they have, so the U.S. should be fine in that regard. As for a hot goaltender, why couldn't one of the U.S. goaltenders get hot? Esche was great in the playoffs, and Conklin was great at the WC's. I'm not saying they can reproduce that in the World Cup, but it's a possibilty.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Douggy said:
As of right now I don't even really know who is starting for the US. Boucher?? Dipietro?

I'm sure Dipietro will be given an opportunity, possibly handed the reins altogether. He's got the brightest future by far and here and now is just as good and just as capable of getting hot as Esche. Both are better than Boucher.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Rabid Ranger said:
Not the United States. For better or worse this year's World Cup team is for the most part the same that won the championship in '96. Chemistry can be overrated though, as the same group of guys flamed out in '98, but than regrouped for '02. It's all about timing, health, and a hot goaltender IMO.

by my count (and i could have missed some guys),

-Canada has 14 players back from the olympics
-USA has 13
-Russia has 13
-Czechs have 15
-Sweden has 13
-Germany has 11
-Finland has 13
-Slovakia...well, they kinda got the shaft

the amount of returning players is pretty even between all the countries from the 2002 olympics, and since they have a summer to prepare for it this time, i dont think chemestry should be an issue for any of the teams

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The Frugal Gourmet said:
I'm not the biggest fan of the direction of team USA this season, but just a couple years ago pretty much the same team was the 2nd best in the world. I would say they're still pretty competitive.

What are your main issues?

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
Rabid Ranger said:
What are your main issues?

Well, this may sound totally cliche, but the general aura surrounding team USA strikes me as more "will" than "skill". Not that "will" is bad, but most good teams seem to have both. For instance, just pulling a few forwards out of a hat: Guerin, Hull, Lagenbrunner ... these guys are exceedingly average puck handlers or skaters or both. They are way "less dimensional" than the average all-world international player, if you're looking at the big 6 or 7 teams.

More important, some of the team USA stars seem to be on the aging side and not the fleetest of foot or greatest of passion for the game anymore. I would consider Modano, for instance, to me the most talented forward on team USA, but he scored less than 50 points this season in the NHL with 25+ minutes of ice time/night.

However, I don't really have any huge issues. Actually, I was saying I see no reason team USA can't win a medal. As has just been pointed out, not only has team USA stayed the same but most of the other teams have as well... and 2 years isn't that long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad