Team Quebec VS English Canada......

Status
Not open for further replies.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
monkey_00 said:
I called the French team "Quebec" cause that's where the players on that team would be from..........and I called the other team from Canada; "TEAM ENGLISH CANADA" cause it would consist of players from the other provinces and territories of Canada...............what would you rather I call the English team instead?............TEAM ONTARIO-MANITOBA-SASKATCHEWAN-ALBERTA-BRITISH COLUMBIA-NOVA SCOTIA-NEWFOUNDLAND-PRINCE EDWARD ISALAND-NEW BRUNSWICK-AND THE TERRITORIES?...............I don't think so.

I think the whole point is that you dimiss the millions of francophone canadians living (and born) outside of Quebec as if we weren't even Real People. There's a million of us in Ontario alone, and some of us are darn good hockey players. Does that mean we can't play on Team Canada?

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
Exactly., eightyseven. :handclap:

English Canadian is a term used commonly by people who refer to provinces outside of Quebec. And French Canadian is used to refer to the people of Quebec.

As someone else said, whether it's commonly used or not, it's wrong. Since when is "Saskatchewan" or "Nunavut" English? I'm from Saskatchewan, and sure, English was my first language, but that doesn't make me "English", it makes me a speaker of the English language. But I can probably name ten different languages spoken in that province alone. "English Canada" makes it sound like Quebec won independence from England, and the rest of the provinces didn't. Would it be right to call Quebec "French Canada"?

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
I'm beginning to feel sorry I ever brought this up. I said this would open up a can of worms and I guess I had the can opener on this one. The original intent of my post was to get clarification of the criteria for picking players on a team because I felt the way the question was worded was ambiguous and open to different interpretations (not to mention offensive but I'd have let that pass). It is not like international teams where you can use birth place or citizenship of players. Who keeps track of what province a player maintains "citizenship" in? Where does a player born in Ontario but raised in Quebec play? Then it degenerated into an english / french thing because the original thread starter dodged the question and by his replies imsinuating that maybe he did in fact mean something more by the team "English" reference. This could have all been avoided had the thread starter just answered my initial query with ...province born determines where you play, period. We could then have all moved on. So now that we have established that it is place of birth that determines the team a player plays on, can we now move on.

BTW Brett Hull is available to play for Team Ontario. Apparently he has some free time now.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
aj said:
Exactly., eightyseven. :handclap:

As someone else said, whether it's commonly used or not, it's wrong. Since when is "Saskatchewan" or "Nunavut" English? I'm from Saskatchewan, and sure, English was my first language, but that doesn't make me "English", it makes me a speaker of the English language. But I can probably name ten different languages spoken in that province alone. "English Canada" makes it sound like Quebec won independence from England, and the rest of the provinces didn't. Would it be right to call Quebec "French Canada"?

I dont want to goes deep into the subject but Quebec have historically been commonly named French Canada or Canada Français . And this was in part keep like it only to help remember French people they were only a part of Canada (and back then a "2nd rank people") and not really a community by his own...

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
We are, but we are also very reigonal here so things like this will come up. I am Canadian but that does not mean I cant see there are regional disparities. Well with that topics like this will arise, the would "our team" be better than the "rest of them" and other issues meant for INTEREST. I know a lot of people are more proud when an NHLer is from their home town and even province. It is not like this is the first time a post like this has been done either so some of you guys gotta get your thong panties out of a bunch. I remember a post about "Team Western Canada" on the Oilers board. I have seen a team Ontario thread before.

Its just for interest, if it does not interest you, than post in another thread or do not bother reading this one.

In fact if anybody remembers the 94 lock out the NHLPA held a mini-tourny (one night of short games, non-contact) with a team USA, Western Canada, Ontario, and Quebec.

In case you are interested
Ontario won over Quebec in the final and Western Canada beat the US in the 3rd place game.
(the US sure came along way in two years beating all three of those teams that they lost to when combined---damn the tourny gave them an early lead in chemistry :) )

Fincan

Aug 1, 2002
LordStanleysPlace
Visit site
psycho_dad said:
:lol:
LOL ...what a thread. Do you really need to discuss this or is it a "lets flex our collective muscle" thread? :lol

Yes, yes it is. :shakehead do you have to make comments like this in every Canada thread? From the "Slovakia worried about playign Canada thread":
psycho_dad said:
Of course they are favourites but there is no need for this silly thread where every canadian comes to flex their muscles saying "Of course they are scared hahaha!"

In that case the thread was talking about what the article said. Some people said, "well of course they are worried" alluding to the fact that the articled did not offer any insightful information as Canada is one of the most dominant hockey powers and has looked pretty good so far. Frankly I think canada should be scared of the Slovaks too, they might be really hungry and have talent. doesnt lessen the fact that the Slovaks have to be worried about facing Canada

In this case it is a thread meant to be interesting. Canada has the most depth of any country, so that is gonna be discussed. Yeah its meaningless (almost, it helps in case of injuries) when you can only have 25 and not 80 guys on a team, but it is meant for INTEREST. Why do people make a big deal out of nothing.

Im sure all the Finns on the "Sauna World Championships" forums all talk about the depth Finland has and about how the Turks should be scared to face them :D

symon

Jul 16, 2004
Québec
I tried to do a team atlantic for fun. Ouch, the better goalie I found is
Rolly Melançon. :eek:

Overall, atlantic provinces really lack depht. You got an ok team offensively, with a real gritty 4h line. Defense is ok.

Ryder-Crosby-Richard
Glen Murray-J.king-Cleary
Langdon-Ott-Druken
Dwyer-Morgan-Boulton

Defense

Carney-MacInnis
White-Sweeney
B. Brown-R. Jones

Rolly Mellançon
Chris Verge
Cédric Desjardins

monkey_00*

Hiya Gang.......Just a couple of points I wanted to make here........

First.....this is a highly entertaining thread.......thanks for the great posts........secondly I think a team made up solely of Quebecers would do alot better than what most here seem to think they would do.......they have the fire power and more importantly the HOT Goalies.........don't under-estimate a team from Quebec........

I'm surprised that no one has posted yet a team for Saskatchewan......there's some pretty great players from there as well......I would also combine the players from Manitoba with Saskatchewan cause I don't think there's enough players in the NHL from Manitoba to ice for themselves 1-hockey team....you would have to combine them with the players from their next door neighbours in Saskatchewan.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Actually SOS your wrong......we are not remotely one country......we are a balkanized country.......I feel no attachment to Eastern Canada in the least....but I love Alberta as my home and country......and to a larger extension I love the West.......

And ask Millions of Quebecers if they feel this is 'one' country.......and us Albertans the way the East has used us for generations........sorry.......this country will eventually split and that will only be a good day for us Albertans......and I'm sure many wonderful Quebecors feel the same way........

And Kickabrat.......it was a great subject to bring up.......Many federalists simply do not want to deal with the inevitable........Alberta and Quebec amongst others have a great disdian for the entity of Canada......perhaps not a majority yet.....but give the Liberals a couple of more terms, and this country is over.....and thankfully so!!

Anyways, Team Quebec would be one of the elites of the Hockey World.....no doubt about it.......just as good as Team Canada or whatever is left of us to face off against them!!

Thanks

monkey_00*

Boo-hoo...Who cares...Instead of making a fight add something to the thread instead....

===================

Hemsky83Schremp44........

Thanks.........heh heh heh :lol: ........My sentiments exactly.........Now that kickabrat has FINALLY figured out what this thread here is all about (Better late than never) maybe just maybe he can add something valuabe to the thread.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

symon

Jul 16, 2004
Québec
Newfie Bruin said:
How about future NHLer Ryan Mior from St. John's. Should be a 1st rounder. Or 04 draftees Dan LaCosta/Jason Churchill.

Thanks, I had a hard time finding goalies prospect. ;)

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
monkey_00 said:
Now that kickabrat has FINALLY figured out what this thread here is all about (Better late than never) maybe just maybe he can add something valuabe to the thread. monkey_00
NO THANKS TO YOU. I still have not seen a single post from you that says flat out "province of birth" is the criteria to be used (assuming that's what you meant initially). All we have is everyone finally agreeing that's what you MUST of meant. If you had done so initially we would all be well on our way to a lively discussion, instead of wasting time trying to figure out if Aucoin and Cloutier amongst others are eligible to play on Team Quebec (or Team French Canada in your vernacular).

monkey_00*

>>>NO THANKS TO YOU. I still have not seen a single post from you that says flat out "province of birth" is the criteria to be used (assuming that's what you meant initially). All we have is everyone finally agreeing that's what you MUST of meant. If you had done so initially we would all be well on our way to a lively discussion, instead of wasting time trying to figure out if Aucoin and Cloutier amongst others are eligible to play on Team Quebec (or Team French Canada in your vernacular).<<<
-===========================

kickabra.......

Brahahahahahahaha!........Humour me some more why don't you?...thanks for the laughs buddy.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
monkey_00[font=Comic Sans MS said:
kickabra.......Brahahahahahahaha!........Humour me some more why don't you?...thanks for the laughs buddy.

Cheers!~

monkey_00
[/font]
And again, Monkey_00 resorts to nonsense while still not coming clean on what he meant? Is it that hard for you to say, "I meant province of birth". Come on say it. It is not that hard. By not saying it, all you are doing is continuing this charade by throwing suspicion on yourself that you meant something different. Is that the case? Come on, say it.."PROVINCE OF BIRTH IS WHAT I MEANT". It's a simple 7 word sentence., well within your intellectual grasp I'm sure. "PROVINCE OF BIRTH IS WHAT I MEANT". see it's simple.

Arne

Aug 30, 2004
Kotka, Finland
This is a bit off topic, but the stupidiest thing I've heard was when some Montreal fans said that Saku Koivu shouldn't be the captain of Canadiens because he doesn't speak french! Hahahahah!! :lol

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
[b said:
FallenSouljah] [/b]R.Regehr(Born in Brazil but since he plays for calgary we'll take him)

R[b said:
oughneck[/b]]His hometown is in Saskatchewan (name escapes me), and he played in the WHL. So he is ours to begin with ;)
But he did play his Junior in BC so can definitely play on Team BC. Oops I forgot, everyone on this thread agreed that Monkey_00 in his infinitive wisdom set the criteria to use in determining what team a player can play for as place of birth. Therefore Regehr is on only eligible for Team Brasil (maybe he can play beach volleyball). Anyway, feel free to contact Monkey_00 and ask him to explain, maybe he'll give you a straight answer.

High flyin' Habs*

Thorne said:
This is a bit off topic, but the stupidiest thing I've heard was when some Montreal fans said that Saku Koivu shouldn't be the captain of Canadiens because he doesn't speak french! Hahahahah!! :lol

Where did you here that stuff??

ZDogg

Aug 10, 2004
Lethbridge, AB
FallenSouljah said:
Canada West

P.Kariya/J.Sakic/J.Iginla
R.Symth/S.Yzerman/D.Heatley
L.Langkow/P.Marleau/S.Doan
J.Friesen/B.Morrison/M. Recchi

Spares:B. Isbister, M.Comrie, R. Whitney, G.Brule

S.Niedermayer/W.Redden
S.Hannan/J.Bouwmeester
E.Brewer/R.Regehr(Born in Brazil but since he plays for calgary we'll take him )
D.Hamihuis/B.Stuart

Spares: K.Mclaren, M.Rathje

E.Belfour
A. Auld

That looks like the best lineup I could make too. We also have Morrow and Morris. The best goalie you didnt have on the list the list that I could find was Trevor Kidd (ouch). I think we could take Ontario and Quebec... only problem is goaltending. :eek:

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
Roughneck said:
His hometown is in Saskatchewan (name escapes me), and he played in the WHL. So he is ours to begin with ;)

His home town may be in Saskatchewan...but he was born in Brazil, I checked NHL.com and Espn to make sure. But it doesn't matter as long as he plays for canada :D

Last edited:

NucksOnly

Go Whitecaps & Lions
Sep 6, 2004
Vancouver
ZDogg said:
That looks like the best lineup I could make too. We also have Morrow and Morris. The best goalie you didnt have on the list the list that I could find was Trevor Kidd (ouch). I think we could take Ontario and Quebec... only problem is goaltending. :eek:

No doubt...

Our defense kicks ass, highly moblie, highly skilled and pretty young ! Our fowards are pretty damn good, with Sakic and Iggy leading the team but our goaltending needs some help after Belfour! Then again Alex Auld could be a pretty good starter in few years to come. As for Kidd, ewwwww!

Updated Canada West Team (if not training camp list ;) )

P.Kariya/J.Sakic/J.Iginla
R.Symth/S.Yzerman/D.Heatley
L.Langkow/P.Marleau/S.Doan
J.Friesen/B.Morrison/M. Recchi

Spares:B. Isbister, M.Comrie, R. Whitney, G.Brule, B.Morrow, S.Hartnell, R. Niedermayer

S.Niedermayer/W.Redden
S.Hannan/J.Bouwmeester
E.Brewer/R.Regehr
D.Hamihuis/B.Stuart

Spares: K.Mclaren, M.Rathje, D.Morris

E.Belfour
A. Auld

Spares: T.Kidd

monkey_00*

>>>And again, Monkey_00 resorts to nonsense while still not coming clean on what he meant? Is it that hard for you to say, "I meant province of birth". Come on say it. It is not that hard. By not saying it, all you are doing is continuing this charade by throwing suspicion on yourself that you meant something different. Is that the case? Come on, say it.."PROVINCE OF BIRTH IS WHAT I MEANT". It's a simple 7 word sentence., well within your intellectual grasp I'm sure. "PROVINCE OF BIRTH IS WHAT I MEANT". see it's simple.<<<

=========================

kickabrat.......

"Nonsense" is youir continued WHINING about how I worded the question.......would you like some Cheese to go with your Whine (wine)?.......heh heh heh........

Why should I even answer your question when you already know what I was asking you in the first place?.........It would be wasted energy on my part.........Stop wasting my time in here and start adding something valuable to the thread since you already know (and knew from the get-go) what I was asking here in the first place.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
monkey_00 said:
>>>And again, Monkey_00 resorts to nonsense while still not coming clean on what he meant? Is it that hard for you to say, "I meant province of birth". Come on say it. It is not that hard. By not saying it, all you are doing is continuing this charade by throwing suspicion on yourself that you meant something different. Is that the case? Come on, say it.."PROVINCE OF BIRTH IS WHAT I MEANT". It's a simple 7 word sentence., well within your intellectual grasp I'm sure. "PROVINCE OF BIRTH IS WHAT I MEANT". see it's simple.<<<
kickabrat.......
"Nonsense" is youir continued WHINING about how I worded the question.......would you like some Cheese to go with your Whine (wine)?.......heh heh heh........ Why should I even answer your question when you already know what I was asking you in the first place?.........It would be wasted energy on my part.........Stop wasting my time in here and start adding something valuable to the thread since you already know (and knew from the get-go) what I was asking here in the first place.
Cheers!~ monkey_00
And yet again, no direct answer to a direct question from Monkey_00. (what are you a politician) and I wonder why? There can only be two reasons why he refuses to come out and say that he meant "province of birth" in his original post.
  1. He did not mean "province of birth" as the criteria. In which case, what did he mean? Citizenship? Well we all know that Canadians (english or french) are not usually "classified" by provincial citizenship, so this would be a difficult criteria to establish (is it currently living there, having once lived there, lived there for at least 5 years, etc.) or
  2. He did mean "province of birth". In which case, after I and others pointed out that this could cause some weird selections, he finally realized that maybe he was wrong. Maybe this criteria was flawed. Maybe there were situations where you couldn't just dump a player on one team or another or you could put him on both or none. Maybe different people had different assumptions about what he meant. That maybe he should have been clearer about what he was looking for. But by now because he's made a career of dodging the question and posting nonsense answers he doesn't want to lose face by admitting he was wrong.
So monkey_zero, which one is it 1 or 2? Oh wait, I already know what your going to write.. "you know what I meant". Well guess what I and others did not.

But by your smart-aleck non-responses to the question it seems you think everyone is clear on what you meant. If you are not going to answer that question (which I doubt you will, give you propensity to string words together that are without meaning) then answer the following straight forward questions.
  1. What teams would Robyn Regehr be eligble for - Team French Canada or Team English Canada?
  2. What team would Dan Cloutier be eligible for - Team French Canada or Team English Canada?
  3. The reason you think qualifies them to be eligible for the team you allocated them to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->