Team Quebec VS English Canada......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
monkey_00 said:
kickabrat.............I asked for people's opinions on how a Series with Quebec VS English Canada would fair?................please forgive me but I still don't know what point you are trying to make over here........I asked a simple 2-part question.......I'm sorry that you're having such a tough time grasping what I was asking here.......Oh well.Cheers!~monkey_00
I know exactly WHAT you were asking. My question was simple. Why did you refer to the rest of Canada as English Canada but didn't refer to Quebec as Team French Canada? You could of used any number of descriptors. You could of used Team Quebec & Team Rest of Canada, Team outside of Quebec, etc. but you used Team Quebec vs Team English Canada. Coming up with a BS answer like team Ont, BC etc. doesn't cut it.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
Kickabrat said:
I know exactly WHAT you were asking. My question was simple. Why did you refer to the rest of Canada as English Canada but didn't refer to Quebec as Team French Canada? You could of used any number of descriptors. You could of used Team Quebec & Team Rest of Canada, Team outside of Quebec, etc. but you used Team Quebec vs Team English Canada. Coming up with a BS answer like team Ont, BC etc. doesn't cut it.

Boo-hoo...Who cares...Instead of making a fight add something to the thread instead....

IMO the quebec team would lose, simply because IMO the "English canadian" team would be too physical for "Team Quebec".

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Hemsky83Schremp44 said:
Boo-hoo...Who cares...Instead of making a fight add something to the thread instead....

IMO the quebec team would lose, simply because IMO the "English canadian" team would be too physical for "Team Quebec".
Messrs. Laraque and Worrell may dispute that.

LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

May 15, 2003
Visit site
mcphee said:
Messrs. Laraque and Worrell may dispute that.

Oh, I wasn't saying that there arn't some very very tough players from Quebec, but would those players make the team? I think that if Quebec wanted to compete they would have to, and not just go with the high flying offensive players like on the mock rosters I have seen so far.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Team Canada

Bertuzzi-Thornton-Heatley (oh ya!!!)
Richards-Sakic-Iginla
Smyth-Doan-Nash
Draper-Morrow-Murray
extra:Maltby, Ryder, Sullivan, Stillman (tough to knock off one)

Neidermayer- Pronger
Foote-Blake
Redden-Jovonanski
Extra: Bowmester, Brewer, Regehr (tough to knock off one)

Belfour
Turco
Raycroft

Team Quebec

Tanguay-Lemieux-Gagne
Lecavalier-Marleau-St.Louis
Walker-Briere-Lapointe
Bergeron-Ribeiro-Dumont
extra: Robitaille, Daigle, Damphousse

Aucoin-Brisebois
Desjardins-Bergeron
Boucher-Dandenault
Extra: Girard, Gauthier

Brodeur
Luongo
Theodore

monkey_00*

>>>I know exactly WHAT you were asking. My question was simple. Why did you refer to the rest of Canada as English Canada but didn't refer to Quebec as Team French Canada? You could of used any number of descriptors. You could of used Team Quebec & Team Rest of Canada, Team outside of Quebec, etc. but you used Team Quebec vs Team English Canada. Coming up with a BS answer like team Ont, BC etc. doesn't cut it.<<<

========================================

kickabrat...............

.............Grow up...............please. :D

Cheers!~

monkey_00

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
Hemsky83Schremp44 said:
Oh, I wasn't saying that there arn't some very very tough players from Quebec, but would those players make the team? I think that if Quebec wanted to compete they would have to, and not just go with the high flying offensive players like on the mock rosters I have seen so far.
I know. What the heck. Provincial teams could be interesting though. I assume Ontario has the highest representation, but that would be quite a tournament.

monkey_00*

>>>I know. What the heck. Provincial teams could be interesting though. I assume Ontario has the highest representation, but that would be quite a tournament.<<<
======================================

mcphee........

This also sounds like a great idea but one thing to keep in mind with an idea like this one is that you would have to combine Manitoba with Saskatchewan on one team cause Manitoba wouldn't have enough players of their own to form a team made up of NHLers.......unless they were to fill up the rest of their roster with players from the AHL........then the next thing we'd have to figure out is what to do with the 4-maritime provinces and 3-territories.......I guess we could combine the players from all 7-regions onto one team but I still don't think there would be enough to form one team of NHLers that these guys can call their own.........

Provinces like B.C., Alberta, Ontario and Quebec would be able to ice for themselves a team of their own with no problems whatsoever.

Cheers!~

monkey_00

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
I think that if Quebec wanted to compete they would have to, and not just go with the high flying offensive players like on the mock rosters I have seen so far.

They could have a grind line or something like that.. guys like Marty Lapointe.. i'm sure that'd help in the physical department. Also, even guys like Lecavalier can hit and play physical with anyone.

I think the biggest problem (and the most obvious one) would be defense. We need to develop a few better dmen before we seperate :D

but with the goalies we'd have, i think we could be top 5 for sure.. even surprise in some tournaments.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
There is already a Team Quebec in the Memorial Cup championship for Canadian junior hockey. The QMJHL champ plays the OHL and WHL champs and usually loses because the freewheeling passing style typical in Quebec is shut down by the two-way play of the OHL and the world's best defensemen out of the WHL.

Too many Lemieux and Lecavalier types of player, few defensemen (Patrice Brisebois does not count) and a penalty kill bordering on the laughable. Goaltenders are king because they make the difference between winning and losing most nights of 6-4 hockey games. A 2-1 game is uncommon.

Team Quebec probably would have lost against defensively-skilled Germany in this tourney, though when on a goal-scoring streak and with exceptional gaoltending, they may upset in a few games over the years.

My months in Montreal left the following impression:
les canadiens will always be.
It's more important than fleur de lys.

(Hey, that rhymes.)

NYI

Jul 19, 2004
GTF said:
Where's Aucoin from? I had no idea he was French. Bad assumption on my part.

He was born in Ottawa and I think he just has a french last name.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
VanIslander said:
There is already a Team Quebec in the Memorial Cup championship for Canadian junior hockey. The QMJHL champ plays the OHL and WHL champs and usually loses because the freewheeling passing style typical in Quebec is shut down by the two-way play of the OHL and the world's best defensemen out of the WHL.

.)

Gatineau ?

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Crosbyfan said:
Gatineau ?
Exactly. The Gatineau Olympiques won the QMJHL but lost the Memorial Cup to the Kelowna Rockets of the westernmost province of B.C.

In the 85 year history of the Memorial Cup only seven teams from Quebec have won the championship series between league champions, and four of those were from Montreal fifty years ago!

In contrast, my hometown Kamloops Blazers from B.C. won it all three times. :)

Scoring 50 or even 100 goals in the Q means absolutely squat once the players come face to face with Canadian hockey players from elsewhere. That's partially why Gretzky's Ontario junior records are more meaningful than Lemieux's, though the true test of skill against defense lies in the WHL, as any NHL G.M. knows full well.

A star for Rimouski Oceanic may not shine so brightly in other leagues.

Sidney Crosby fans line up at the door.

Jacques Plante

Aug 29, 2004
Montreal--Downtown
NYI said:
He was born in Ottawa and I think he just has a french last name.

Yea, I also know that he played Jr. A hockey in the CJHL, which is an Ottawa/Eastern Ontario league. Then he went off to Boston University (I imagine on a scholarship because Jr A is the way to go to get an NCAA scholarship)

So I think, he should be on team "Canada"

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
wilka91 said:
Quebec will separate from Canada in the 20 years to come.

With all due respect, and without trying to start a seperatism debate on this board, I must request that you stop speculating about an issue which I suspect you actually know nothing about. As a Canadian Studies student who has spent the majority of his time working on issues in federalism, I suggest that this is a topic far deeper than an unsubstantiated, possible entirley uneducated, one line claim.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Matt MacInnis said:
... I must request that you stop speculating about an issue which I suspect you actually know nothing about. As a Canadian Studies student who has spent the majority of his time working on issues in federalism, I suggest that this is a topic far deeper than an unsubstantiated, possible entirley uneducated, one line claim.
He is entitled to his opinion, as everyone is.

Now, what is yours on the hockey question at hand.

Is it an idle issue because it'll never happen? Well, then, it's an interesting thought experiment.

Would a Team Quebec be dominant? How do you think a tourney of regional Canadian all-stars would go? How would Quebec stack up against an Ontario team or a Western team?

Speculate to your heart's content. We have.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
VanIslander said:

You're right that the Q team rarely wins the Memorial Cup, but that doesn't mean they lose it either. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Q is the only league to make the finals the past two years. Last year the dub champs won (but the Q champs came in front of the OHL champs) and two years ago the OHL champs won (but the Q champs came in front of the WHL champs). I don't have the results from the past 10 years in front of me, but it seems to me that in the past decade or so, the Q has been in the finals more than either of the other leagues. The Q Champions rarely win it all, but they also rarely finish last, at least recently, so I don't know how you can say they usually lose to the OHL AND WHL champs--they lose to one OR the other, but they usually don't lose to both in the same year.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Genghis Keon said:
You're right that the Q team rarely wins the Memorial Cup, but that doesn't mean they lose it either.
:rolly:

The QMJHL champs have won twice in the last thirty years and have made it to the final game four times in the last ten years, which isn't so remarkable when you consider they have a 50/50 chance to be there (the host team aside).

But I'll grant you that the last couple of years have been the closest for them.

In the history of the Memorial Cup, the host team usually finishes last. The Q team usually finishes second last.

Anyways, the stats were meant to support the contention that the types of players most often developed in Quebec are insufficient on their own to excel as a team because of a typical lack of defensive development among both defensemen and forwards (unlike the WHL which has a distinctively different character). Of course, there are exceptions, but not enough to assemble an all-star team capable of contending against teams representing elsewhere.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
:lol:
LOL ...what a thread. Do you really need to discuss this or is it a "lets flex our collective muscle" thread? :lol

Both of those teams would be favourites in the world cup...easily. I am glad they can only ice one.

Last edited:

TML_FAN

Mar 1, 2004
Toronto
www.liberal.ca
Why is it that Quebec always cries about not getting it their way? Why is it that the west coast always gets forgotten about? Why is Quebec so determined to separate? Why is this topic starter signaling out one province? Why can’t we just be happy to be united as one? Why did the PM of Quebec say that there were too many Canadian flags at the Olympics, and not enough Quebec flags? Why is it illegal to post English signs in Quebec? Why do I get so frustrated over these things?

By the way I’m from Ontario, but more importantly I’m from Canada!!!!

-_-

Feb 9, 2003
Montreal, Canada
Visit site
I'm from Montreal, my dad's family and my mom's family are from Quebec, but I hate the idea of Quebec as an independant Country and I'm one of the proudest Canadian in here !! I hate quebecers who are centered on theirselves... it's sad that some quebecers are giving us a bad image over the country... there are plenty of quebecers proud of being Canadian, like me !

Every kid from Quebec who is a true hockey fan has wondered, at least once, what would happen to our hockey club, in internation play, if our province would be separate from Canada. That's why this thread has been create... it's not more difficult than that... anyway

I would assume that Team Quebec would definitly lack some good offensive d-man. But as for our forwards, i think they would be good enough to compete with country like Finland, USA and Slovakia, not Russia and Sweeden tough.

I don't remeber who said we wouldn't be able to deal with Germany's defense play but that's pure crap... come on Lecavalier, Lemieux, Gagne, St-Louis... hummm i think that's way too much for Germany's defence... anyway that's your tought and you're free to express it, i'm just giving you my side of the medal.

Between the pipes we would be awesome, the best country (hum hum) out there without a doubt. This would keep us on the top 5 contenders list for sure.

Overall, I think we would finish somewhere between 1st and 5th. Why do I think we could be winning it all ? Well every team with strong goaltending should be consider serious contender... look at Calgary this year, Anaheim last year, etc.. etc... etc... Goaltending is the most important part of a team when it comes to close game. I'm not saying we would be favorite, far from that, i'm only saying we would have chances of winning the world cup... our defense looks weak but i think it would be good defensivly but offensivly awful. + Quebecers are known to be hard workers who are generally dedicated to their team's system...

A serie between Quebec and Canada (the rest of it, to make sure everyone understands) ? It would be close but Canada would win because they could rely on a very very strong D-unit and they would still be in good position, not as good as Quebec but still, between the pipes with Turco... Raycroft is also a pretty decent goaltender... anyway their offense is a little better than Q'S one...

I hope we'll never see such a rivalty in hockey or anywhere else... CANADA FOR LIFE ! BRING THE CUP TO HIS NATIVE LAND !

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
VanIslander said:
:rolly:

The QMJHL champs have won twice in the last thirty years and have made it to the final game four times in the last ten years, which isn't so remarkable when you consider they have a 50/50 chance to be there (the host team aside).

Colour me surprised. I know Gatineau has been in the finals the past two years, but I thought Halifax made the finals a few years ago (with Ramzi Abid and Brandon Reid), as well as Rimouski (with Richards, when Keefe said Richards would never do anything in the NHL). I also thought Val D'or, with Gamache and Reid, had a good run but came up short; I thought Hull with Theodore also had a nice run; as well, I thought Granby did well one year (I think it was Granby--it was mid '90s and they were making a big deal of the Q not winning since Hawerchuk's Cornwall team won it). I was figuring I missed a couple teams but I guess I overrated instead.

Anyways, the stats were meant to support the contention that the types of players most often developed in Quebec are insufficient on their own to excel as a team because of a typical lack of defensive development among both defensemen and forwards (unlike the WHL which has a distinctively different character). Of course, there are exceptions, but not enough to assemble an all-star team capable of contending against teams representing elsewhere.

I can agree with that. Though, just to argue semantics, I think they are capable of "contending against teams representing elsewhere," but it all depends on how you use the term "contend"--I'm just a little bit more liberal in its use than you are. I see the Leafs, for instance, as perennial contenders, though they never win.

High flyin' Habs*

Only because of their goaltending,Quebec would win against any other team.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Man when Quebec does separate (it will happen eventually so the English might as well get used to it) they will have one great International Hockey team....

As others have pointed out, there defense is suspect but what great forwards and the best goalies in the World!!

Team Quebec!!! Wow, that has a nice ring to it!!

Now we just need to get a Team Alberta and were laughing!! :handclap:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad