Team name and jersey ideas

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I would love to see them go with the Golden Eagles but I don't think that happens.

It was the original hockey team here in SLC.

I was thinking of this too from a historical concept, but given the existence of the Golden Knights, I wonder about just going with the Utah Eagles?

Nizami Ganjavi

Greasy Meatball
Jul 27, 2022
The name of the team should be the Utah Buzz. It incorporates both the "Beehive State" nickname and the "zz" of the Utah Jazz. When/if they get MLB and NFL teams, they could use Grizzlies (Grizz) and Blizzard (Blizz). Kind of what New York did with the Mets, Jets, Nets, and even Sets (World Team Tennis).
Buzz... That's pretty funny given the state's restrictive liquor laws... :)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Both the Utah Grizzlies and Jazz have bear mascots. They could go for the hat trick, or one of them pull double duty, but I'd think that'd be a point against calling them the Kodiaks, or whatnot.

The Jets have a moose mascot. Given where this NHL Utah team originated, they may choose to avoid it.

Scorpions is one of my favorite name suggestions, but the mascot may be difficult to pull off.

The Utah Hogbacks, Razorbacks, or Tuskers might work. It'd be a hog mascot, although Stormy in Carolina is also one. (not that there aren't three bears, or two sabretooth tigers in the NHL)

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Names that I've seen get suggested that I think are unlikely:

Utah Stingers - CBJ mascot named Stinger
Utah Gila Monsters - VGK mascot is a Gila Monster
Utah Blizzard - possible, but getting into Avalanche territory
Utah Black Diamonds - Major League Pickleball team
Utah Pioneers - also possible, but the term is very closely tied specifically with Mormon settlement. The Denver Pioneers may also matter.
Utah Eagles/Wranglers/Thunderbirds - AHL teams. Colorado Eagles would be the most relevant.
Utah Archers - pro lacrosse team
Utah Raptors - NBA Toronto Raptors, can play against the Jazz in the Delta Center.
Utah Cougars - BYU's nickname.
I think very few of your mitigating factors will actually be mitigating factors.

Reactions: MIGs Dog and BCNate

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
1713474387858.png

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Utah Sting or Swarm…I guess I’ll take a break on these for a while since it’s looking like no name is going to be announced for an entire year anyway. That’s crazy.

IMG_2654.jpeg
IMG_2653.jpeg
IMG_2652.jpeg
IMG_2651.jpeg
IMG_2649.jpeg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Swarm is probably the best name I've seen thrown out. Contrasts with "Avalanche" for example, for those feeling it's initial clunkiness. Logo/uniform potential are off the charts.

Sting were an NLL Lacrosse franchise that played in Glendale funny enough (but had a scorpion mascot).

Reactions: 0point1

kvladimir

Dec 1, 2010
I have heard in various places that modern copyright laws will prevent use of existing names from other sports, which if true would nix Grizzlies, Lakers, Raptors, Eagles, etc... I also agree 100% that Yeti(s) is very cringey.

I feel like they should steer clear of animal names, they are mostly very generic, though easier for mascots/general family friendliness, and do something more unique.

Suggested in the previous threads, but Utah's ties to the Wild West era could make names like Outlaws, Bandits and Renegades work (though a few of those would be very generic as well).

For me, the best names I've heard so far are:

(Non-animal): Rebels, Racers
(Animal): Dragons, Sidewinders

Rybread86

To the DOME
Mar 24, 2022
OC
The Utah...
Stingers
Hive
Lumberjacks (Jacks)
Ice Dogs
Bighorns
Double Blacks (Double black Diamond ski slopes - expert only)
Cutthroats (State fish, cutthroat trout)
Quakes (State tree, quaking aspen)

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
looks great ... yeah I cant understand that ... How can you even pick colors or a uniform ?
Yeah it’s very weird. I guess you could just pick the colors and have UTAH diagonally across the chest or something, and then have the logo conform to the color scheme eventually.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad