Speculation: Team Name Discussion v2.0 (See Post 93)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Desert Knights it's just so lame and tacky sounding. The Desert is so horribly redundant. They wouldn't call San Jose the San Jose Pacific Sharks or Ocean Sharks. ...

This is a very cromulent point. We don't need GD adjectives.

Anaheim's adjective made a little sense given the hokie thing they were going for with their name. However, once that ran out of favor they ditched it. Same with with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

How long until that happens here with the Desert Knights, if that is the name they choose? I really doubt it is, but the point still stands.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
My preferences:

1. Knights (Simple and makes you think of Vegas nights: lights and action)
2. Silver Knights (The Silver State, come to Vegas to get a lot of coin, Stanley Cup is silver, so apt)
3. Desert Knights (army references and landform of the state reference and refreshing change maybe in team colors)
4. Nothing Hawks related, please. (Blackhawks is enough)

I'm pretty close to your preferences.

1. Knights
2. Aces
3. Silver Knights
4. Desert Knights
1,000,000. [something]Hawks

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
This is a very cromulent point. We don't need GD adjectives.

Anaheim's adjective made a little sense given the hokie thing they were going for with their name. However, once that ran out of favor they ditched it. Same with with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

How long until that happens here with the Desert Knights, if that is the name they choose? I really doubt it is, but the point still stands.

So what part of my post was cromulent because I had to look it up and

cromulent
adjective

Appearing legitimate but actually being spurious.

And yes. Mighty Ducks were there because that was the name of the movie created by the company that owned the team. The Blue Jackets have "Blue" because Jackets alone would not make sense and would be outright terrible (also Columbus is just one word so it's fine. Detroit gets by on heritage, but what the **** is a Red Wing even?

I can live with a word in front of Knights knowing it will be dropped later. I just don't want that word to be desert. If I attended a meeting with a bunch of people from around the world it would make sense to refer to me as DuckJet the American a few times. But every time people refer to me? It's silly.

Last edited:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Cromulent is a Simpsons reference, I've been using it a lot lately.

Turns out I've been using it wrong, I just looked it up myself. :laugh:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
That's a non-starter.

The NHL was clear: NO gambling references!

I've been saying that forever.

I've had little luck finding anything besides Foley saying he doesn't prefer the name referencing gaming. However, I'm not really taking that to mean much after some of the previous things he's said.

So...anyone have a source that the NHL said no gambling names?

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
I've been saying that forever.

I've had little luck finding anything besides Foley saying he doesn't prefer the name referencing gaming. However, I'm not really taking that to mean much after some of the previous things he's said.

So...anyone have a source that the NHL said no gambling names?

There are plenty of Las Vegas-esque names out there, but Foley said the NHL made it clear it should have no association with gambling.

http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/14/owner-says-las-vegas-nhl-team-having-trademark-issues-with-name/

Foley reiterated his stance against using any kind of name tied to gambling.

“The league has made it very clear that it really should not be associated with gambling and so on,†he said.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/hockey-vegas/bill-foley-s-frustration-grows-over-lack-name-las-vegas-nhl-team

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
As long as its a third color I think it would be nice. Black based jerseys with some brown trim wouldnt be half bad.

White and brown....puke.

I was so hoping for black+silver. Would mesh in perfectly with the Raiders. Kinda like how all of Pittsburgh's teams use black+yellow. Silver's one of the colors on the LV flag, too... so it fits.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe the league could've been swayed on Aces carrying a very strong Air Force meaning that could mask the Aces gambling connotation and all this Knight and Hawk business was a diversion, MGM purchased the copyright for Foley and there will be a big surprise reveal with Bettman and Daly on that podium overseeing the reveal of the name that makes the most sense by far.

And maybe I'm not just dreaming.

My other fantasy is that it does end up being Las Vegas Knights since London doesn't seem to have a problem with it. But that seems just as unlikely. Its one thing to try to trick everyone with the Hawk names but to openly denounce the Las Vegas Knights name on the grounds of it not fitting what they're trying to do with the team (an asinine reason. What are you trying to do with it, make it almost as wordy as Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim?) identity...i don't see them coming back with an "aha! Gotcha" statement.

At this point I think it's just gonna be Silver Knights. If he's insistent on a word in front of Knights I just can't see it being desert Knights.

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
Honestly from the get-go it never seemed like they were going to pick a great name. What makes us believe they will choose something other than Desert Knights, for god sakes they were considering Red Hawks at one point. I honestly think even if it's not called the Desert Knights it will probably be something really bad.

BadFella

"$8 Million Goalie My Ass!"
Jan 9, 2013
Exit 105
The stigma related to gambling is so stupid. The Sabres are named after swords, which is a violent name. Avalanches, Hurricanes, they're natural disasters that kill people. Coyotes, Sharks, Predators, they all kill people. Lightning kills people. The old emblem for the Blue Jackets was a cannon, they kill people. The Devils are, well, the Devils. Evil. An Ace is merely a harmless playing card.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
I know the NHL doesnt want Aces, but when you consider the other names of teams in this league, how is it worse than Devils/Jets/Blue Jackets cannon/army regiments/etc? Just play up the aviation for Aces.

I also dont think you should go to Vegas and try to ignore the city's history that yeah, gambling helped build the city. The thing is, I have found a lot of the other gambling-related names goofy, but Aces is the only that works and works well.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
The stigma related to gambling is so stupid. The Sabres are named after swords, which is a violent name. Avalanches, Hurricanes, they're natural disasters that kill people. Coyotes, Sharks, Predators, they all kill people. Lightning kills people. The old emblem for the Blue Jackets was a cannon, they kill people. The Devils are, well, the Devils. Evil. An Ace is merely a harmless playing card.

Have a link to a story of Coyotes killing a person? (Scavenging corpse is different.)

Most species of Sharks do not kill people. And most only do it if threatened/tormented.

And when, pray tell, was the last time a sabre tooth tiger killed a person?

Jun 6, 2016
I'm holding out hope Foley has been throwing off the scent or playing leverage with London on picking a name and they actually unveil as the Knights.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
my weekly check-in: still don't really like ANY of the proposed names.

I can only hope I haven't seen the winning name yet.

And I hope their colors aren't black and silver. The Kings already have black/silver and it would be quite annoying for a team in the same division, and only 250 miles away, to wear the same colors.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Have a link to a story of Coyotes killing a person? (Scavenging corpse is different.)

Most species of Sharks do not kill people. And most only do it if threatened/tormented.

No recent killings, but attacks are on the rise...

To quote:

"California residents are being warned to be more vigilant about coyotes after four attacks on children in the past month in the Irvine area.

The only reported coyote-caused fatality in the state, according to the Department of Fish and Wildlife, occurred in 1981 when a 3-year-old girl was killed."

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/california-town-high-alert-coyotes-attack-children/story?id=32355667

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia

Dont tell that to this guy!

Gambit01.jpg

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
What about using an adjective with Aces? I mean there are already so many suggestions for ___ Knights or ___ Hawks (bleh). So, why not Flying Aces, or Fighting Aces? It loses any gambling connotations and is sounds just as better than something like Desert Knights or Anything Hawks.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/coyotes-kill-toronto-singer-in-cape-breton-1.779304

Here in Manitoba near the fringe of the city its recommended to not jog alone in a few places cause of coyotes and coywolves. Our hunting laws enable open season on Coyotes with zero limits I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad