WC: Team Latvia

GX

Dec 28, 2011
With two centers (Arturs Ozolins, Top 15 scorer in Russia2, and Deniss Smirnovs) cut, it seems either Tralmaks or Batna are rather close to making the final cut.

C Rodrigo Abols - 22 - Sweden
C Andris Dzerins - 30 - Czech
C Maris Bicevskis - 26 - KHL
C Vitalijs Pavlovs - 28 - KHL
C Eduards Tralmaks - 21 - NCAA
C Oskars Batna - 22 - KHL
+ Nikita Jevpalovs played center vs Finns

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
With two centers (Arturs Ozolins, Top 15 scorer in Russia2, and Deniss Smirnovs) cut, it seems either Tralmaks or Batna are rather close to making the final cut.

C Rodrigo Abols - 22 - Sweden
C Andris Dzerins - 30 - Czech
C Maris Bicevskis - 26 - KHL
C Vitalijs Pavlovs - 28 - KHL
C Eduards Tralmaks - 21 - NCAA
C Oskars Batna - 22 - KHL
+ Nikita Jevpalovs played center vs Finns
I have seen better latvian teams...

MikeShow

Dec 8, 2013
Balcers received green light from San Jose management to join NT after Cuda is out from play-offs.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
In the meantime, Dzerins, Cibulskis and Kristaps Sotnieks join the camp.

Management is speaking also to Columbus with regards to Kivlenieks. Gudlevskis to join camp this Thursday. No news on Balcers and Blugers.

Reactions: woohoomadness

MikeShow

Dec 8, 2013
Source? Can't find anywhere :)

Here.

"Tāpat izlasei vēl neesot skaidrības, vai tās sastāvā varēs būt AHL spēlējošie uzbrucēji Teodors Bļugers un Rūdolfs Balcers, kura pārstāvētais Sanhosē "Barracuda" klubs gan esot devis atļauju pēc izslēgšanas turnīra pievienoties valstsvienībai."

Reactions: GX

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Bindulis to join camp tomorrow. So, in addition to Sotnieks and Cibulskis, it seems there will be at least some defensive core in place this spring

Reactions: woohoomadness

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Good news for Latvia, Balcers had a 4 point game last night. Bad news, they way him and Barracuda is playing, they might go deep into the playoffs. The series is tied 1-1 but they are the better team in both games.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
The exhibition games might be somewhat misleading, considering we lack our clear cut #1 goalie in Merzlikins, half of our top 6 Ds and at least a couple of forwards, but so far with all the snubs and injuries it really does look like one of the least talented group of players we've had in a long while.

Really hoping Blueger and Balcers can join the camp soon.

With all due respect, it's kind of depressing seeing Cipulis on the 3rd line. :) Just for some perspective he ranked 37th in the Latvian semi-pro league in PPG this season just behind a Lithuanian guy named Daniel Bogdziul who's now moved on to the third tier of German hockey and plays on the Lithuanian 2nd or 3rd line in Div IB. Just get him to the nursing home.

Also, I really dislike the way Hartley approaches things. It's like he's the father and everyone else is a kid. Releasing Tralmaks because of his academic record is ridiculous. He just has to make a lesson out of everything, it's annoying and counter-productive.

Reactions: kabidjan18

GX

Dec 28, 2011
As expected by their performance in exhibition games, semi-pro Uldis Calpa beats experienced pro Maris Jucers. That's a bit embarrassing (having a semi-pro guy at the WC), but it seems 3rd goalie spot might as well go to him, as long as someone else from NA doesn't show up.

Additionally, Bindulis is injured and leaves the camp.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
As expected by their performance in exhibition games, semi-pro Uldis Calpa beats experienced pro Maris Jucers. That's a bit embarrassing (having a semi-pro guy at the WC), but it seems 3rd goalie spot might as well go to him, as long as someone else from NA doesn't show up.

Additionally, Bindulis is injured and leaves the camp.
Calpa is going to be a tourist anyway. It's going to be an experience of a lifetime for him, but he's not going to see a second of ice time. So it doesn't really matter. But, yes, it is odd that he's going to make the final roster. I'm not even sure he's a top 15 Latvian goalie.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Also it can be a bridge for him to a real pro hockey, even getting on the roster as a 3rd goalie does a lot. Good to give those guys a chance if they earn it.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Also it can be a bridge for him to a real pro hockey, even getting on the roster as a 3rd goalie does a lot. Good to give those guys a chance if they earn it.
Sure, I'm not hating on him, but it's not like he's posting great numbers in some obscure league like Kalnins did in Hungary, he's just an average goalie who's not going to be an impact player at the national team level. So why not rather invite a younger prospect as your third string goalie? It's really not that important, and I'm not trying to make an issue out of it, but yeah.

Also, Redlihs got a minor(?) Injury in yesterday's practice. Looking for for updates on that one.

GX

Dec 28, 2011
Likely, we will have to deal with no Calpa after all.

Matiss Kivlenieks joins the team tomorrow, commitments from all Swiss/German Finals players Elvis Merzlikins, Ronalds Kenins and Rihards Bukarts. Balcers 'free to join' once the season ends, Blugers 'situation tougher'.

Anyhow, team entry list for first games in Denmark will have 23 names, with 2 extra spots reserved for Balcers and Blugers.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Likely, we will have to deal with no Calpa after all.

Matiss Kivlenieks joins the team tomorrow, commitments from all Swiss/German Finals players Elvis Merzlikins, Ronalds Kenins and Rihards Bukarts. Balcers 'free to join' once the season ends, Blugers 'situation tougher'.

Anyhow, team entry list for first games in Denmark will have 23 names, with 2 extra spots reserved for Balcers and Blugers.
Great to hear the bit about 2 extra spots. The way I see it, they're counting on Blueger as well. And all of a sudden things don't look as bleak with both of the young guns on our squad.

I mean, we're still an average ass team, but now we can start thinking about beating teams other than Korea.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Blueger's out. 2 apples tonight for him. Pretty sure he's joining the team unless the problem is insurance-related. His contract with the Pens is up too, hopefully that won't be a factor here.

0.64 PPG in the A, up from 0.54 PPG last season. Kind of expected more of Teddy a few years ago, but good to see him still improving a bit and getting more playing time. He reads the game very well and it always feels like he can elevate his game whenever he plays with even more skilled linemates, but I'm still on the fence whether he ever becomes an NHL player.

In any case, we really need Blueger. Our C core sucks pretty bad. We can plug him in anywhere from the 1st to 3rd line.

Ri. Bukarts is available now too. Looks like he's found his team with Eisbaren Berlin, which is a bit of a relief. He was really struggling this whole season. There never was any doubt he's talented, especially after that 92 point season in the WHL, but you never know with these dwarf rabbits. He's bulked up and looks like a little Sherman tank now, so he should be a decent energy guy for us.

7th game of the NLA finals today for Kenins, who's also having a good play-off run after a tepid effort in the regular season. Not sure what's going to happen with that Abols line after all the additions, but Kenins - x - Karsums would be an awesome 3rd line. Abols and Indrasis have clicked, but I don't think Karsums fits on that top line.

Obviously, Merzlikins is going to be available after tonight as well. He's being an absolute monster for Lugano and we really need him to continue in
that same manner for us. :D

Tonight is also quite possibly the last game of the play-offs for Balcers. Balcers - Abols - Indrasis? Why not? Can't wait to see him play for our country. Can't wait to see him play in the NHL next season too. He's a real gem.

Best case scenario:
Balcers - Abols - Indrasis
Bukarts - Dzerins - Redlihs
Karsums - Blueger - Kenins
Bukarts Jr. - Pavlovs - Skvorcovs
Meija, Jevpalovs

Basically 3 decent lines and a shutdown line. Imagine if Darzins, Daugavins and Girgensons could come. Karsums - Girgensons - Kenins could be our 4th line. Sweet Jesus.

Reactions: kabidjan18

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Skvorcovs/Pavlovs over Meija? Is this really the world we live in now? I would also like Ri. Bukarts higher in the lineup, he has a lot of offensive potential.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Best case scenario:
Balcers - Abols - Indrasis
Bukarts - Dzerins - Redlihs
Karsums - Blueger - Kenins
Bukarts Jr. - Pavlovs - Skvorcovs
Meija, Jevpalovs

Basically 3 decent lines and a shutdown line. Imagine if Darzins, Daugavins and Girgensons could come. Karsums - Girgensons - Kenins could be our 4th line. Sweet Jesus.
Why would you have Abols over Blueger? Seems like you're trying too hard to have even lines. And I know you don't have a thing for Girgensons, I respect that, but he wouldn't be on the 4th line, that is silly.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Skvorcovs/Pavlovs over Meija? Is this really the world we live in now? I would also like Ri. Bukarts higher in the lineup, he has a lot of offensive potential.
Pavlovs is there only because we're lacking Cs, as for Meija/Skvorcovs, there's not a lot between them. I'm sure both are going to get ice time.

Ri. Bukarts does have potential, but who are you going to drop down a line? Balcers, Indrasis, Karsums, Redlihs, Kenins, his older brother? They all have an edge over him. You could try putting him on the 2nd PP unit though.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga

Hartley seems to like Pavlovs for some odd reason. In my eyes he is an untalented, slow waste of a roster space, besides having decent size he brings nothing to the table. Guy has the hockey iq of a napkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad