WC: Team Germany

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Seeing the roster against Russia, I am really glad guys like Michaelis and Nico Sturm get looked at.

Marco Sturm understands very well that he will soon lose several key players and needs to take a look at the next generation. Even with many of the best players still involved in the DEL-Playoffs, he could have picked a more seasoned and probably slightly better/more competitive team but these are at least some of the players we will have to count on in the years to come

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Seeing the roster against Russia, I am really glad guys like Michaelis and Nico Sturm get looked at.

Marco Sturm understands very well that he will soon lose several key players and needs to take a look at the next generation. Even with many of the best players still involved in the DEL-Playoffs, he could have picked a more seasoned and probably slightly better/more competitive team but these are at least some of the players we will have to count on in the years to come

I agree. A well chosen team with lots of future first-team regulars (expecting a lot from Kammerer & Ebner in that regard), even though they'll have a hard time vs. Russia in this set-up.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
I agree. A well chosen team with lots of future first-team regulars (expecting a lot from Kammerer & Ebner in that regard), even though they'll have a hard time vs. Russia in this set-up.

Not too hard apparently.
Germany just won 4-3.

But both teams were quite far away from their WC lineup obviously. Still impressive to see Sturms work.

Reactions: Frannel

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Not too hard apparently.
Germany just won 4-3.

But both teams were quite far away from their WC lineup obviously. Still impressive to see Sturms work.

Terrific result!
Happy to see Michaelis & Sezemsky score, and not surprised to see Kammerer & Ebner to bear responsibility. Now that Ehrhoff won't play in Denmark, Ebner should get the shot as 8th defender. And it wouldn't surprise me, if Sturm replaces on of the wingers, Plachta or D.Wolf preferably, with a versatile attacker like Kammerer for example, to accommodate the upcoming partial team rebuild.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Of course, it's a no-brainer that Seids is eager to play with Sturm's boys. Every German hockey player is. :thumbu:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Any word on Greiss?

Goaltender Thomas Greiss hasn't yet taken his decision. One can only hope this has nothing to do with Danny Aus den Birken's strong performances in Pyeongchang - we need Greiss in Herning.
The article also says that C/LW Felix Schütz might not play the WHC, which would be bad news for our great 2nd line with Patrick Hager. I hope it's not true.

DEB-Team mit NHL-Power - Erste Olympia-Helden nominiert

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Goaltender Thomas Greiss hasn't yet taken his decision. One can only hope this has nothing to do with Danny Aus den Birken's strong performances in Pyeongchang - we need Greiss in Herning.
The article also says that C/LW Felix Schütz might not play the WHC, which would be bad news for our great 2nd line with Patrick Hager. I hope it's not true.

DEB-Team mit NHL-Power - Erste Olympia-Helden nominiert
Thanks for the information. I hope they'll both decide to play, Germany could scrap together a strong team this year.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Thanks for the information. I hope they'll both decide to play, Germany could scrap together a strong team this year.

Yes, they'll play with a lot of confidence. As swedish assistant coach Garpenlov has remarked, that most of the guys have played together in a lot of international tournaments and thus know each other well makes the team an even stronger opponent. However, our defense needs some ad-hoc adjustments - Sturm will have to fill the gap left by Ehrhoff's retirement. Not an easy task.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
The team, how I'd like to see it now.
Losing veteran leaders like Marcel Goc, Patrick Reimer and Christian Ehrhoff before the WHC hurts the team, but I think we'll do fine if no one else now gets injured or declines invitation.
It's been clear for a while that reliable 4th line-centre Gerrit Fauser is out with a season-ending shoulder injury, but we are lucky enough to replace him with Daniel Pietta, one of the best german playmakers in the DEL in the past decade. Maximilian Kammerer could be a decent addition on the left wing. He's a very skilled forward who can play centre & wing, who could take over Felix Schütz' position on Hager's line (it's however more likely that he would play fourth line in the beginning, because of is lack of international experience). Him and Bernhard Ebner, who I see as our 8th defender in Herning, played really well vs. Russia, and scored the decisive goals in the 2nd test match. And finally I think there's a chance that Thomas Greiss declines, and that Dustin Strahlmeier comes in as 3rd goaltender for Dennis Endras.

Yasin EhlizLeon DraisaitlLeo Pföderl
Maximilian KammererPatrick HagerBrooks Macek
Marcus Kink (C)Dominik KahunFrank Mauer
David WolfDaniel PiettaMatthias Plachta
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Marcel Noebels Frederik Tiffels
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yannic Seidenberg (A)Jonas Müller
Björn KruppDaryl Boyle
Frank HördlerDennis Seidenberg (A)
Moritz MüllerBernhard Ebner
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Danny aus den Birken
Thomas Pielmeier
Dustin Strahlmeier
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Alexander Barta is the second best center Germany have. Too bad he also retired.

I wouldn't rule out, that we could reactivate Alex Barta, but I'm fairly sure that Daniel Pietta, who has also played a longer season in the HockeyAllsvenskan POs and SHL Direktkval, gets the assignment.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I wonder if Markus Eisenschmid, Korbinian Holzer or Manuel Wiederer will be available, and in the cases of Eisenschmid and Wiederer get a look like Tiffels got last year or Michaelis is getting this year.

And as far as the goalies are concerned, I think Niklas Treutle might be considered for one of the 3 spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->