WC: Team Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
I'd like to see Kähkönen as 2nd G, he's getting gud. Actually why not go for the younger guys? We've had the same national team for like 6 years and they won't accomplish anything with Marjamäki.

Quite interesting that he isn´t even in the first camp. Any rumours that Minnesota would sign and want him to Iowa...

Larmi is a guy I wanted to see in NT, but doubt that he will make it to the end. I believe that Kilpeläinen is really motivated.

It´s interesting situation. My gut is saying that Koskinen won´t come. Then it leaves Metsola and Rämö from the Olympic goalies. Raanta has no reason to come. Lehtonen and Niemi are without contract, but they don´t have the same situation to cash like Raanta. I have a feeling that Niemi actually might want to come. It´s starting to be his last chance to actually play in WHC. Not sure if I would be interested to see him. He isn´t really as good as his numbers in Montreal suggest.

And I believe that lot of the veteran core "retired" in olympics. We are going to see younger team.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Ristolainen - A huge question mark. Contract ok, but... eh.

Ristolainen makes me sick. He could come over to WHC and have a chance to win something for a change. He might still come but I as well got the feeling that he won't.

I totally understand that Puljujärvi would skip this WHC but if Ristolainen declines again I'm done and wouldn't even mind if he changes nationality.

If Tolvanen some how isn't locked in Nashville a bit later on, he should just skip this WHC. His burden for this season is too big. Way too many games.

Last edited:

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Ristolainen makes me sick. He could come over to WHC and have a chance to win something for a change. He might still come but I as well got the feeling that he won't.

I totally understand that Puljujärvi would skip this WHC but if Ristolainen declines again I'm done and wouldn't even mind if he changes nationality.

If Tolvanen some how isn't locked in Nashville a bit later on, he should just skip this WHC. His burden for this season is too big. Way too many games.

Ristolainen is a poor sport. Still hasn't gotten over the fact that Kari Jalonen snubbed him in 2015.

Reactions: Mestaruus

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Who's said Heiskanen won't come world championships.
Dallas is already eliminated out of NHL playoffs.
Only an injury keeps Heiskanen out of world championships.
I heard nobody wants to play for Marjamäki and I'm going to die on that hill since you know, everyone hates him ;)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Ristolainen is a poor sport. Still hasn't gotten over the fact that Kari Jalonen snubbed him in 2015.
I was about to type he should have no reason, since Jalonen is now gone, but then I realized that Marjamäki was an assistant that year, and Lehtinen was already GM. Of course, that doesn't mean he isn't a poor sport regardless, but it could explain why he doesn't want to play under the current management either.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011

I actually forgot about that, but it can't be the only reason. He's selfish. Really bad example for other players. He's supposed to be some kind of a leader.

Don't want to bash him too hard before he makes his decision. It's all forgotten if he comes this time.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
I actually forgot about that, but it can't be the only reason. He's selfish. Really bad example for other players. He's supposed to be some kind of a leader.

Don't want to bash him too hard before he makes his decision. It's all forgotten if he comes this time.

I hope he plays this year, but I'm expecting him to say no. Everybody has their own opinions, but in my books, selfish players are poor sports.

Let's see what happens this time around.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Quite interesting that he isn´t even in the first camp. Any rumours that Minnesota would sign and want him to Iowa...

I continue from this myself. I forgot that this is the last season while Wild has his rights. He very well may become free agent. So that may be the reason why he isn´t in camp. Kind of understandable because his chances to get 1-2 goalie role in WHC team wasn´t that good.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This is going too far. It's no player's obligation to suit up for the NT, even when available. I see nothing selfish in declining in general.

However, if Risto declines because he's still salty over what happened in 2015, that is quite petty as far as reasons go. If he thinks his season was cut short and wouldn't mind continuing it, but says no because he wants to stick it to the guys who snubbed him once, that's hard to excuse. But if he's simply not just motivated and sees that time better spent practicing so he can better serve his paymasters, then no one should slam him because of it.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This is going too far. It's no player's obligation to suit up for the NT, even when available. I see nothing selfish in declining in general.

However, if Risto declines because he's still salty over what happened in 2015, that is quite petty as far as reasons go. If he thinks his season was cut short and wouldn't mind continuing it, but says no because he wants to stick it to the guys who snubbed him once, that's hard to excuse. But if he's simply not just motivated and sees that time better spent practicing so he can better serve his paymasters, then no one should slam him because of it.

I just don't think it's the only reason why he would decline again. If the dude doesn't want to be a national team hero like he has been in the past (U20) that's disappointing. Let's wait and see what he decides though.

I do agree with both of you guys' points that we don't want a guy that isn't motivated. It's just a shame if he really is like that for other reasons than being salty because of 2015 stuff.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
But if Ristolainen declines again I'm done and wouldn't even mind if he changes nationality

Lol the guy scored a Gold winning goal in overtime for Finland in the WJCs and you want him to change nationality if he skipped a couple of not-even-best-on-best journeys?

People in this thread are so harsh on him acting like he owes them something. You guys are being so salty over him only possibly being salty over something that happened 2015 :laugh:

Reactions: Keke

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I just don't think it's the only reason why he would decline again. If the dude doesn't want to be a national team hero like he has been in the past (U20) that's disappointing. Let's wait and see what he decides though.

I do agree with both of you guys' points that we don't want a guy that isn't motivated. It's just a shame if he really is like that for other reasons than being salty because of 2015 stuff.
If that's not his reason, then guess what? We shouldn't complain about anything.

My whole point was that if he still wants to stick up to the current management because of the events in 2015, that's a bit petty. However, if his lack of motivation stems from other reasons, that is *perfectly* fine. It is the duty of no player to suit up for NT.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Any chance that Henrik Borgström would get a look?

Also, I think that Tolvanen will play 6 more NHL games this season, and will be off to Denmark for the Skoda cup.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Raanta
Koskinen

That would be a killer goalie tandem, but if Raanta says yes, then Koskinen says no. Koskinen has demanded undisputed #1 goalie status in WHC before. World Cup was a different thing though.

Since Koskinen did the Olympics, he might skip this tournament regardless of any other goalie's decision.

Dahlin of Sweden decided to skip WHC and I won't blame Tolvanen nor Heiskanen if they decide to do the same for too many games played this season. We don't want to see them tired over there and they need to have breakthrough seasons next NHL season. So in this case I'd like to see them have extended summer training time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad