Team Finland overview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
A thread for discussing recent developments, details and other thingies over the course of the tournament.

I don't think the game against Canada was so bad. Maybe that's because Finland addressed some key issues like losing less physical struggles than on average against Canada and the defensemen could carry the puck out of the zone (albeit only when they weren't overrun by forecheckers). They had good line cohesion in the beginning and gave and received passes well. Later Canada's units just tore the attacks apart.

Canada's defense and forechecking were sickly good. Whatever zone the puck was in, there were five Canadians with a solid formation and momentum. Finland ran completely out of space in the small rink and they weren't ready. No matter how good the USA is, I don't think they'll be as painfully difficult an opponent. Finland can still medal, the idea of a quarterfinal against Europeans isn't nearly this scary.

Wirtanen's line would be good if Sailio weren't outside the play so much.

Komarov's line is supposed to have chemistry? The three couldn't find each other at all. Joensuu isn't prepared for the small rink: back home he carries the puck with confidence, but now he'd need to be more developed to handle the smaller spaces.

Lindgren needs to lead his line and knit it together. Individual plays aren't enough.

The fourth line somehow had one player gone too deep most of the time. A fourth line can't allow rushes that dangerous.

Laakso made mistakes especially in the beginning, but he was also on the ice most of the time. Seppänen was absolutely horrible, at some point he wasn't making a single play right and positioned incorrectly. How come the team's second biggest d-man can't take hits?

The defensemen from Oulu need to grow a spine. Leinonen couldn't make physical plays at all and so he single-handedly put an end to Finland's somewhat successful resistance with his stickwork penalties. Jokinen wouldn't defend the net at all. Fortunately, this wouldn't be the first time some defensemen were at the wussiest in the WJC opener.

They need to play Koistinen and Korhonen more, with Laakso and Leppänen also handling important minutes. In Jokinen, Leinonen and Seppänen they have the next Timonen-Immonen-Jääskeläinen trio poised to doom the team.

I liked Rask's reflex saves. He can make the save from any position at closer range than others can from an optimal stance. But the rebound control... This team needs a different kind of goalie.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Pekka Lampinen said:
I liked Rask's reflex saves. He can make the save from any position at closer range than others can from an optimal stance. But the rebound control... This team needs a different kind of goalie.

How does Rämö's style differ from Rasks?

hameenlinna

Aug 10, 2005
Pekka Lampinen said:
The defensemen from Oulu need to grow a spine. Leinonen couldn't make physical plays at all and so he single-handedly put an end to Finland's somewhat successful resistance with his stickwork penalties. Jokinen wouldn't defend the net at all. Fortunately, this wouldn't be the first time some defensemen were at the wussiest in the WJC opener.

I completely disagree about Jokinen. He was our best defenseman by a mile. The first pass was quick and accurate and he played his man in front of the goal, maybe not hard enough but he did. He was actually our only player who was able to POSSESS the puck, not just have it and throw it away. Really surprising effort by him as I thought he would be Dman nr 6.

Leinonen was out of place all the time and being physical was the least of his short-comings. Korhonen couldn't keep up with the pace at all when he got on the ice.

I noticed none of the Dmen played hard enough in front of the net and that's a huge problem, especially because I'm sure the Americans will be watching Canada game too... Luckily Rämö weighs almost 40 pounds more than Rask and can spot for the Dmen :help:

hameenlinna

Aug 10, 2005
Predatore said:
How does Rämö's style differ from Rasks?

His rebound control is from another planet compared to other goalies in this age group and he has outstanding puckhandling skills, great confidence and exceptional physical abilities. He weighs over 200 pounds without being chubby. He also seems to thrive under pressure.

Otherwise there's no difference. Therefore picking up Rask for the 1st game was a surprise, at least for me.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
I think from the defense, Korhonen, Leinonen and Seppänen made most of the mistakes. They were either trying to get rid of the puck too quickly or hold it for too long every time they touched it, and every time Canada got the puck. And Korhonen looked like he hasn't skated in a year.

I didn't see much of Koisitinen or Leppänen and in this game it just means that they didn't make too many mistakes. Jokinen was good in some offensive situations, but terrible in the own end.

I continue to be a Laakso homer and can't help but wonder why they are playing him with Seppänen. OK, so they're friends in real life, but it really didn't seem to improve their chemistry or Timo's quality of play. If anything, it was pulling Laakso down as well.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
hameenlinna said:
His rebound control is from another planet compared to other goalies in this age group and he has outstanding puckhandling skills, great confidence and exceptional physical abilities. He weighs over 200 pounds without being chubby. He also seems to thrive under pressure.

Otherwise there's no difference. Therefore picking up Rask for the 1st game was a surprise, at least for me.

I think it's like comparing Hasek and Roy here.

I'm pretty sure we'll see Rämö against the US, so after that it will be easier to say which of them is better for Team Finland...

Korkki

Mar 6, 2002
Pori, Finland
I watched till 3-0 and got to admit that Finland was so much worse than Canadians that nobody could be judged anything more than "bad".

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Pekka Lampinen said:
A thread for discussing recent developments, details and other thingies over the course of the tournament.

I don't think the game against Canada was so bad. Maybe that's because Finland addressed some key issues like losing less physical struggles than on average against Canada and the defensemen could carry the puck out of the zone (albeit only when they weren't overrun by forecheckers). They had good line cohesion in the beginning and gave and received passes well. Later Canada's units just tore the attacks apart.

Canada's defense and forechecking were sickly good. Whatever zone the puck was in, there were five Canadians with a solid formation and momentum. Finland ran completely out of space in the small rink and they weren't ready. No matter how good the USA is, I don't think they'll be as painfully difficult an opponent. Finland can still medal, the idea of a quarterfinal against Europeans isn't nearly this scary.

Wirtanen's line would be good if Sailio weren't outside the play so much.

Komarov's line is supposed to have chemistry? The three couldn't find each other at all. Joensuu isn't prepared for the small rink: back home he carries the puck with confidence, but now he'd need to be more developed to handle the smaller spaces.

Lindgren needs to lead his line and knit it together. Individual plays aren't enough.

The fourth line somehow had one player gone too deep most of the time. A fourth line can't allow rushes that dangerous.

Laakso made mistakes especially in the beginning, but he was also on the ice most of the time. Seppänen was absolutely horrible, at some point he wasn't making a single play right and positioned incorrectly. How come the team's second biggest d-man can't take hits?

They need to play Koistinen and Korhonen more, with Laakso and Leppänen also handling important minutes. In Jokinen, Leinonen and Seppänen they have the next Timonen-Immonen-Jääskeläinen trio poised to doom the team.

Did Mikko Lehtonen even dress?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll be interested in seeing how the U.S. fares against Finland. How big on average is the Finnish team? IMO, lack of size and strength was the big downfall of the Norwegian team in last night's game. The U.S. forwards (and defense) punished them again and again forcing turnovers and creating scoring chances. Finland's obviously a better opponent, but if Canada was able to have their way, there's a good chance the U.S. will too.

espo*

They are a decently big team but as Pekka said...........the defense,regardless of how big they are,did'nt handle forecheck pressure well last night at all.Now,the Canadian team made it rough for them but it's not the last time they will see that swarm in this tourney.The U.S should present the same problems to them that Canada did last night.I am dubious about a better result for them against the U.S then they had with Canada.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
IMO, lack of size and strength was the big downfall of the Norwegian team in last night's game.

Ah, come on :) Obviously talent must have been it. The US could probably dress three teams and none of the Norwegian players would likely have made the third team. Sure, size and strength is important, but the American team is so much better on so many different levels.

Oops, sorry for going a bit off-topic finns! ;)

espo*

Predatore said:
Ah, come on :) Obviously talent must have been it. The US could probably dress three teams and none of the Norwegian players would likely have made the third team. Sure, size and strength is important, but the American team is so much better on so many different levels.

Oops, sorry for going a bit off-topic finns! ;)

Well yeah,you can be sure they won just simply by stepping out onto the ice with the talent level they have over the Norway team.

The States did what they were supposed to do last night(pound Norway) No more no less.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Finland is not that bad......many of the players seemed to shy away from the physical play, eg. Joensuu.

I was impressed with Korpikoski and Seitsonen. I really thought Korpikoski played a really good game.

Tukonen seemed to vanish for blocks of time. He really needs to step it up if Finland is going to do anything. Also, number 14 was downright brutal. Wow, he was beaten at least 6 times that I can remember and took at least 1 stupid penalty. Very weak effort from this guy.

edit----just read about possible Tukonen injury. This could explain why he was such a non-factor.

I would also think that they need to change goalies. Even the homer Toronto announcers didn't seem to happy with him. He had weak rebound control, lost sight of the puck several times and just didn't seem to make a big save when they needed it. He flops to reach for the puck too often and is going to get burnt for it. You can see potential in his ability but he is certainly a long term project for the maple leafs. He's several years away.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Mikko Lehtonen is easily among the five most skilled players on the team. His not playing at all shows another fundamental flaw in the Finnish youth coaching system and is the reason we don't have many highly-skilled players in the pipeline. I agree Lehtonen lacks dicipline, but special talents like him should be given a chance to learn while playing instead of planting them on the end of the bench and trying to change their style and turn them into the two-way zombies that dominate Finnish youth hockey.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
TK79 said:
Mikko Lehtonen is easily among the five most skilled players on the team. His not playing at all shows another fundamental flaw in the Finnish youth coaching system and is the reason we don't have many highly-skilled players in the pipeline. I agree Lehtonen lacks dicipline, but special talents like him should be given a chance to learn while playing instead of planting them on the end of the bench and trying to change their style and turn them into the two-way zombies that dominate Finnish youth hockey.

The second half of Lehtonen's fall season has been a mess. It isn't just about his characteristics as a hockey player, he's not doing good right now.

When Finland's offense fell apart against Canada, everybody started to try to penetrate the defenses all by themselves, to no avail. Lehtonen would just do the same.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Pekka Lampinen said:
The second half of Lehtonen's fall season has been a mess. It isn't just about his characteristics as a hockey player, he's not doing good right now.

When Finland's offense fell apart against Canada, everybody started to try to penetrate the defenses all by themselves, to no avail. Lehtonen would just do the same.

At least Lehtonen has the skills to create something.. Some of the guys on the young lions simply have hands of stone.

Joretus

hameenlinna said:

And his 5hole is like hoover.

Pekka Lampinen

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki
Visit site
After the USA game

The main objective was reached: They restored their dignity.

They would've probably been better on even strength than against Canada, but we didn't really get a chance to see if that's the case, did we. I believe the special teams could actually be pretty good if they actually won some faceoffs every once in a while.

I can't decide whether Rämö played well or not. He hasn't been at the same level lately as before the injury and I doubt he'll completely turn it around in this tournament. That's why I'd be tempted to play Rask against Norway and Switzerland and see if he can be as good as in his last SM-liiga games. Rämö really has to learn to cover the ice in the butterfly stance as well as to control rebounds. He needed several shots until he could finally hold on to one.

Jokinen cut down on his AWOLs, but I was ready to curse Leinonen to some abyss for being a liability in the own end and still not doing anything offensively. Then, however, he sent Tukonen onto the breakaway and I calmed down.

Seppänen improved, obviously. Not until now I noticed how slow Korhonen was, and I wasn't the only one. I didn't see him on the ice after the first period. Leppänen was solid again, Laakso and Koistinen also good enough.

Wirtanen wasn't as visible as yesterday, but Lindgren was far worse. He didn't do anything out there, although the penalties played a part in that. I'd put more of the eggs in the same basket and swap Wirtanen and Lindgren, creating a line looking more like Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski in Tukonen-Wirtanen-Seitsonen. Wirtanen is our only center who can play coherent offense. I wonder what Seitsonen would look like at center? ...Or as a defenseman?

I bet everybody adored Korpikoski's harpoon attacks, but he still can't find his linemates. Komarov can only get passes through in the offensive zone - still way too many giveaways in the neutral zone - and Joensuu still isn't good enough to help carry a legit scoring line.

Looking forward to the prospect of facing Sweden in the quarters. Finland has a goal differential of only five to catch up to in the Switzerland-USA and Finland-Norway games (to advance over Switzerland in case of a tie).

Zorbax

Jan 14, 2005
About Leinonen

Pekka Lampinen said:
The main objective was reached: They restored their dignity.

They would've probably been better on even strength than against Canada, but we didn't really get a chance to see if that's the case, did we. I believe the special teams could actually be pretty good if they actually won some faceoffs every once in a while.

I can't decide whether Rämö played well or not. He hasn't been at the same level lately as before the injury and I doubt he'll completely turn it around in this tournament. That's why I'd be tempted to play Rask against Norway and Switzerland and see if he can be as good as in his last SM-liiga games. Rämö really has to learn to cover the ice in the butterfly stance as well as to control rebounds. He needed several shots until he could finally hold on to one.

Jokinen cut down on his AWOLs, but I was ready to curse Leinonen to some abyss for being a liability in the own end and still not doing anything offensively. Then, however, he sent Tukonen onto the breakaway and I calmed down.

Seppänen improved, obviously. Not until now I noticed how slow Korhonen was, and I wasn't the only one. I didn't see him on the ice after the first period. Leppänen was solid again, Laakso and Koistinen also good enough.

Wirtanen wasn't as visible as yesterday, but Lindgren was far worse. He didn't do anything out there, although the penalties played a part in that. I'd put more of the eggs in the same basket and swap Wirtanen and Lindgren, creating a line looking more like Tukonen-Nokelainen-Korpikoski in Tukonen-Wirtanen-Seitsonen. Wirtanen is our only center who can play coherent offense. I wonder what Seitsonen would look like at center? ...Or as a defenseman?

I bet everybody adored Korpikoski's harpoon attacks, but he still can't find his linemates. Komarov can only get passes through in the offensive zone - still way too many giveaways in the neutral zone - and Joensuu still isn't good enough to help carry a legit scoring line.

Looking forward to the prospect of facing Sweden in the quarters. Finland has a goal differential of only five to catch up to in the Switzerland-USA and Finland-Norway games (to advance over Switzerland in case of a tie).

Leinonen leads finnish A-juniors +/- clearly with +26 and has scored 6+7 in 20 games. In addition to this in Russia 4-nation tournament he was with Jokinen best in +/-. That's why it's not surprising Leinonen got today 0+2 (+1), but it was that he did it when playing mainly only PKs. It is difficult to play offensively when one's role is penalty killing.

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Pekka Lampinen said:

The defence was better, but as a whole this group needs to play to its abilities, that is dead simple risk free hockey. It would also help if the forwards backchecked better, too often the defence pairings faced the American forwards steaming through neutral zone by themselves.

Pekka Lampinen said:
Wirtanen wasn't as visible as yesterday, but Lindgren was far worse. He didn't do anything out there, although the penalties played a part in that.
The guy is a playmaker, I would expect something at the power-play at least. As for the alternatives, I like Seitsonen's play too, of course, but he is brutally bad as a playmaker. So Wirtanen it is, sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad