Team Finland in World Championships

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Raimo Sillanpää said:
We need Nitty. Norrena and Bäckström just aren't good enough, but Erkka doesn't get it.

Pitkänen also needs to finally make his senior debut.
Why? :dunno:

Because he lost the gold medal game in the olympics?

He's been brutal in the playoffs and he was very average at the end of the regular season.

I don't see that he would be an upgrade in goal for team Finland.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Zambonidriver² said:
Pitkänen is 0+2 in 6 games, +/- leveled at 0. Doesn't skate like used to, passes are sloppy and focus isn't exactly there on the game. Alltho, he is sort of a dreamer, gets carried away with anything he might find worth watching... talk about a deer in the headlights.

Really, Pitkänen isn't at his form. I doubt he'll come, as I'm guessing he has some sort of injury. But that's just my prediction, the above is what I base on facts (and my two own eyes).
But I'd still love to see him on the team (if he's healthy of course).

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Matti_A said:

He's been brutal in the playoffs and he was very average at the end of the regular season.

Because he's the best goalie available (if the Flames advance).

And he didn't lose the gold medal game, Team Finland did.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
blacklabel said:

I think it was more Sweden who won gold rather then Finland losing it. Nitty is good but you already have 3 good keepers in the squad. Come on, if there is one thing Finns can produce then it is goalies so this should not be a big problem.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
johnny_rudeboy said:
I think it was more Sweden who won gold rather then Finland losing it. Nitty is good but you already have 3 good keepers in the squad. Come on, if there is one thing Finns can produce then it is goalies so this should not be a big problem.
That's what I meant. Team Sweden was the better team, and thus they outplayed us.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd be pretty suprised if Pitkanen went to play. He hasn't been at his best and he is probably injured again. I wouldn't be suprised to see Niitty come over if he is asked.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
blacklabel said:
That's what I meant. Team Sweden was the better team, and thus they outplayed us.

No Sweden did not out play Finland. It was a very close game but our golden generation as they are called (Forsberg, Lidström and Sundin) proved to be the difference. And I also think the big brother/little brother aspect could have played a part even if I doubt that any Finns will say it out loud.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
johnny_rudeboy said:
No Sweden did not out play Finland. It was a very close game but our golden generation as they are called (Forsberg, Lidström and Sundin) proved to be the difference. And I also think the big brother/little brother aspect could have played a part even if I doubt that any Finns will say it out loud.
I don't know. I think Sweden was better in every aspect of the game. :dunno:

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
I'd like to see Pitkänen in the team, Sami Kapanen is not going to be on the team.

OT: Stop talking about the Olympic finals already.

TK79

Jul 5, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
edd1e said:
I'd like to see Pitkänen in the team, Sami Kapanen is not going to be on the team.

OT: Stop talking about the Olympic finals already.

Yeah, please join the team Joni... Sami Kapanen has been so banged up the whole season that I wouldn't be suprised to see him announce his reteirement soon.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
blacklabel said:

Well, since Philly is out, it means Frank and Norrena once again will backstop team Finland.
It was an awesome tandem in the previous tournament.

My concern's with Nitty are still:

1. He hasn't played a full game in a long time and in the games he's played he's been sub-par.
2. What is his self-confidence level right now. He's been the backup for a while and Hitchcock's statements as of late have not exactly been encouraging.
3. Can he get hot again, like he did in the olympics, all of a sudden.

I believe Niitty would need a couple of good exhibition games against quality teams. I frankly (no pun intended) don't know how good he is right now, and, as I said, I don't feel like Niitty is that big of an upgrade in goal for team Finland. I hope he proves me wrong.

He is of course gonna be the #1 goalie for team Finland because of his play at the olympics.

Hensta

May 10, 2005
Kuusamo,Finland
Niittymäki and Bergenheim will join to Team Finland. Comoon we need Pitkänen also! He has "promised" to come!

GO FIN GO!

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Matti_A said:

He could do no wrong at the Olympics. When given responsibility and trust, he ran with it.
When Norrena and Bäckström have been given that (this time, last year) they failed to take it.Those two 30 year olds are good and amongst the best in europe, but they lack the ability to move up a level and dominate like Frank did or Hasek did in 98 etc.
You don't win with average goaltending, you compate yeah, but you lack that that something.

Frank almost won us the olympic gold. Bar a broken stick.. bar a horrible period of play in the second. Thanks to Niittymäki we lost 3-2 and not 4-2 or 5-2. We were that bad in the second. The game wasn't that close, Sweden were deserved winners.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Raimo Sillanpää said:
He could do no wrong at the Olympics. When given responsibility and trust, he ran with it.
When Norrena and Bäckström have been given that (this time, last year) they failed to take it.Those two 30 year olds are good and amongst the best in europe, but they lack the ability to move up a level and dominate like Frank did or Hasek did in 98 etc.
You don't win with average goaltending, you compate yeah, but you lack that that something.

Frank almost won us the olympic gold. Bar a broken stick.. bar a horrible period of play in the second. Thanks to Niittymäki we lost 3-2 and not 4-2 or 5-2. We were that bad in the second. The game wasn't that close, Sweden were deserved winners.
Yeah, I agree. Sweden was the better team in the final game, period.

And I didn't mean we lost because of Nitty, just that he was on the losing team in the finals and that you shouldn't give him the #1 spot based on old merits.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
This years champs will be interesting also
because of the fact, that we will have
somekind of a shift in generations.

I guess about half the guys are what,
younger than 27-28?

I'd say, even if I want Teemu to join
the group, that this is a healthy direction.
Could it be that our younger players start
pulling some weight off the older ones
shoulders?

We've been quite good in the JWCs the
last few years (maybe 10?) and it would
be quite comforting to see the youger
generation to step forward in these games.

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
Caz said:
This years champs will be interesting also
because of the fact, that we will have
somekind of a shift in generations.

I guess about half the guys are what,
younger than 27-28?

I'd say, even if I want Teemu to join
the group, that this is a healthy direction.
Could it be that our younger players start
pulling some weight off the older ones
shoulders?

We've been quite good in the JWCs the
last few years (maybe 10?) and it would
be quite comforting to see the youger
generation to step forward in these games.

Ironic if it (generation shift) happens now, when it's (younger generations) biggest star is not there (Olli Jokinen) and most talented player is injured (Kari Lehtonen).
But still, you can't help but love to see a better Team Finland on the ice from tournament to tournament.
:bow:

Susanna

Apr 29, 2006
Baltimore
TK79 said:
Yeah, please join the team Joni... Sami Kapanen has been so banged up the whole season that I wouldn't be suprised to see him announce his reteirement soon.

That's because Kappy plays with more heart and sisu than guys much bigger than he is. You know what they say, it's the little dog who puts up the biggest fight.

Susanna

Apr 29, 2006
Baltimore
Make #89 said:
edit: Jussi Jokinen, Antti Miettinen, Sean Bergenheim and Antero Niittymäki have joined the team. Goaltender Sinuhe Wallinheimo and forward Jussi Pesonen were dropped off the roster.

GO NIITTY!!!!!!

sleb

Dec 26, 2005
with polarbears
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Ironic if it (generation shift) happens now, when it's (younger generations) biggest star is not there (Olli Jokinen) and most talented player is injured (Kari Lehtonen).
But still, you can't help but love to see a better Team Finland on the ice from tournament to tournament.
:bow:
I wouldn't be missing neither of mentioned above. And why? It's a team game, solid team compensates and overcomes few bright and shiny stars... ok, I know I used "star" vaguely, but still.

I really like the team, drop out Kallio and we're set.

Hensta

May 10, 2005
Kuusamo,Finland
Our lines todays training;

Ville Peltonen - Jussi Jokinen - Antti Miettinen
Petteri Nummelin - Aki Berg

Tomi Kallio - Jari Viuhkola - Sean Bergenheim
Lasse Kukkonen - Mikko Lehtonen

Tuomo Ruutu - Mikko Koivu - Jani Rita
Tuukka Mäntylä - Pekka Saravo

Jarkko Ruutu - Riku Hahl - Jukka Hentunen
Mikko Luoma - Olli Malmivaara

Looks pretty damn good to me. Maybe the fastest team in years!

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
Zambonidriver² said:
I wouldn't be missing neither of mentioned above. And why? It's a team game, solid team compensates and overcomes few bright and shiny stars... ok, I know I used "star" vaguely, but still.

I really like the team, drop out Kallio and we're set.
Yes i completely agree, Kallio is Finland's Markus Näslund.

Also, Pirnes should be nowhere near this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad