Olympics: Team Finland 2022

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
How well would the gold medal team do against a team made up of only Finnish players currently in the NHL?
On paper, the NHL team would be significantly better.

As for actual performance, well... which of the teams would be coached by Jalonen?

Reactions: mattihp

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Did you catch the 2019 celebration? Or the 2016 WJC one? If you did, you missed nothing special. It was practically a rerun, except it was snowing like heck. Ellinoora. JVG. Player interviews player. (Komarov on Björninen.) The final act: Finlandia by Vesala.

The only moment worth catching was when they shaved off Björninen's mustache on stage.

Yeah I saw them in the previous years, but still kinda bummed about it. I did read sone Ilta Sanomat commends about it how epic fail that event was though. Still wanted to see some of it though.

Oh he finally lost the stache. Damn.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I did read sone Ilta Sanomat commends about it how epic fail that event was though.
The event wasn't an epic fail. The broadcast was - because instead of showing us the actual event, they showed us talking heads and ads.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I have a question for all the more knowledgeable Finnish fans:

How well would the gold medal team do against a team made up of only Finnish players currently in the NHL?

With cloned Jukka Jalonen and his coaching staff and if both teams would get the same amount of practice. If you put the best Finnish NHL players in the other team, it's a much better team with NHL players but this current gold team would be able to keep it low scoring, because they can defend. 3-1 to Finland with NHL players.

Husqvarna

Jan 5, 2019
We - Finland - are on top of the world ... nothin' else matters like Metallica sang a song:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
I'd say the Slovaks definitely got this one. I can't remember a single bronze medal celebration in Finland that involved a parade.

Perhaps there are people who might call it sad, but IMO you can't make a stronger statement for why these tournaments matter, NHLers or not.

Elias40

Jan 3, 2020
Kari Jalonen is in Prague today..what does that mean? He's supposed to be the new coach of the Finnish U20 team, right?

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Kari Jalonen is in Prague today..what does that mean? He's supposed to be the new coach of the Finnish U20 team, right?

Perhaps he has some kind of clause in U20 contract to get out of it? I kind of doubt that he will get out of that contact though. He's a very good coach. If Jukka Jalonen stops coaching team Finland for any reason, then Kari Jalonen is one of the best options for Finland. The Czech team would become scarier for sure with Kari Jalonen. As a Finn I don't know if I want that.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
What are the chances for Petteri Lindbohm to take a spot in best possible team? He now plays in NHL. If he does good there he should be a option.

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
What are the chances for Petteri Lindbohm to take a spot in best possible team? He now plays in NHL. If he does good there he should be a option.
We considered Jani Hakanpää and Niko Mikkola locks for this team before the NHL pulled out - if Lindbohm, a player cut from the same cloth, manages to establish himself as an NHL regular, he won't be any more or less worthless candidate than those two.

Reactions: JabbaJabba

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Best possible right now:

Juuse Saros
Ville Husso
Antti Raanta

Miro Heiskanen - Henri Jokiharju
Esa Lindell - Rasmus Ristolainen
Olli Määttä - Jani Hakanpää

Patrik Laine - Aleksander Barkov - Mikko Rantanen
Teuvo Teräväinen - Sebastian Aho - Roope Hintz
Mikael Granlund - Anton Lundell - Jesse Puljujärvi
Artturi Lehkonen - Erik Haula - Kaspari Kapanen

Hintz is very allround so he could play wing. I needed to get Lundell into the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad