U18: TEAM CANADA

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Ive liked Veleno so far, he seems to have good hands and makes smart simple plays.

Not sure if I agree with your assessment.
Veleno always looks good, but doesn't get that much done. He is playing in his 3rd U18 event and is not dominating. He's ok, don't get me wrong, but is just not meeting the high expectations of a guy ranked (by some) in the top 10. the 2001's are outshining most of the 2000's, IMO.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Veleno always looks good, but doesn't get that much done. He is playing in his 3rd U18 event and is not dominating. He's ok, don't get me wrong, but is just not meeting the high expectations of a guy ranked (by some) in the top 10. the 2001's are outshining most of the 2000's, IMO.

Same on team USA with guys like Hughes, Turcotte, Caufield. I like Veleno.. he is a good fast smart player. He is noticeable for sure. He has quick feet and quick hands.. He just doesn't have that star quality. He will be a good reliable player but not a star player.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
well, that's disappointing. team was good enough to win, but they just didn't get it done when it mattered. oh well! c'est la vie. hopefully the men deliver in a few weeks....although, that's looking unlikely at this point.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Noel started out well and faded down the stretch. I like him though. He’s a project.
McShane was moved to Veleno’s line in lieu of McBain to presumably ignite Veleno, which did not happen and I believe was a poor coaching decision. Not sure if I agree on him being on of Canada’s best players either. Lafrenière and LAVOIE deserved it way more than him. He’s an opportunistic player but then disappears at times. Nice hands, smallish player. Canada had too many of those same type playing on fwd.
Hillis
Dellandrea
Dudas
McShane
Thomas
Wauters
Fonstad
All basically the same player.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Should have kept McBain-Veleno-Noel together. Hay changed the lines up too much for my liking, think he tried to make the team better when they were already good enough. Players need to build chemistry quickly at this level, but we had the advantage of Veleno's line already having chemistry from the Hlinka, so I don't understand why he switched that up. Goaltending was fine, Rodrigue did a fine job.

All in all, lost the tournament, but I'm still confident in these players becoming really talented NHLers in the future.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Not easy being a coach of a squad thrown together for a tourney, but that's why he gets the big bucks, hahhah

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Noel started out well and faded down the stretch. I like him though. He’s a project.
McShane was moved to Veleno’s line in lieu of McBain to presumably ignite Veleno, which did not happen and I believe was a poor coaching decision. Not sure if I agree on him being on of Canada’s best players either. Lafrenière and LAVOIE deserved it way more than him. He’s an opportunistic player but then disappears at times. Nice hands, smallish player. Canada had too many of those same type playing on fwd.
Hillis
Dellandrea
Dudas
McShane
Thomas
Wauters
Fonstad
All basically the same player.

Well I thought they moved McBain to replace Akil Thomas at center... anyhow, for me the switch kind of wrecked the chem. of that line, and in a quick tournament I'd try to keep a line together that has been successful in the past year, wouldn't you?

What kind of same player are all those guys? Dellandrea stood out, I thought...

Reactions: 99664987

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Wow, just noticed the top players for Canada. MacIsaac, McShane and Rodrigue (no problem with him). Who the hell picked those? McShane was not the best forward of the team and MacIsaac was not the best defenseman of the team. We all know who their best player was.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Wow, just noticed the top players for Canada. MacIsaac, McShane and Rodrigue (no problem with him). Who the hell picked those? McShane was not the best forward of the team and MacIsaac was not the best defenseman of the team. We all know who their best player was.

Who?

Tube Skates

May 12, 2016
Who was the best dman for the team in your eyes? My vote would easily go with McIsaac with Bahl and Byram to follow

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Well it certainly wasn’t Hillis, Dudas or Thomas....or the coach that kept playing them.
Lines should have been:

Lafrenière Dellandrea Lavoie
McBain Veleno Noel
Foudy McShane Dudas
Fonstad Hillis Wauters
(Thomas got hurt late in game 4)
Coaches really screwed it up.

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
Who was the best dman for the team in your eyes? My vote would easily go with McIsaac with Bahl and Byram to follow

I thought none of the defensemen really stood out. If I had to pick one I think it would be Bahl who I thought was the most reliable. MacIsaac a close 2nd. He looked better as the tournament was advancing.

Reactions: Tube Skates

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Well it certainly wasn’t Hillis, Dudas or Thomas....or the coach that kept playing them.
Lines should have been:

Lafrenière Dellandrea Lavoie
McBain Veleno Noel
Foudy McShane Dudas
Fonstad Hillis Wauters
(Thomas got hurt late in game 4)
Coaches really screwed it up.
Is this the same coach that had the epic third period meltdown gold game vs Russia at the u20 ?

Yea his decision making is not good

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Is this the same coach that had the epic third period meltdown gold game vs Russia at the u20 ?

Yea his decision making is not good

no, it is not the same coach as that game. but it is the same coach that won gold with the u18 team in Sochi, Russia 2013.

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Just too bad but that's sport - if everything went to plan in sport it's be as boring as watching paint dry. In this case the bad game happened at the wrong time. Though I would have kept Veleno with the two big power forwards I'm not the coach, and he must have thought McBain would be more effective at center and Dudas would offer extra speed on Veleno's line.

Reactions: Acadien86

SpoolCat

Mar 1, 2016
Dave Cameron was the coach of the 2011 WJC where Canada had that meltdown. Don Hay coached the 2012 WJC team who went down 6 to 1 to the Russians but almost came back.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Team Canada report Card:

Defends:

Byram- A
01 who showed great skill and hockey IQ. Will be a lottery pick in 19.

Bahl- A
giant who showed improved footwork during agility and a nice set of hands

Smith-D
A surprisingly poor showing. Many give always and poor decisions to go along with zero points.

Robertson-C
Another 01 who had a quiet but solid showing.

McIsaac-B
Picked as Canada’s top D, was prone to poor decisions and give always. Flashes of skill but inconsistent.

Merkley- B
Flashes of creativity and patience that would put him top ten at draft. A number of selfish plays and gaffs that will have him picked in the 20’s.

Forwards:

Lafrenière-A
Underager not available to be drafted until 20, was a tremendous threat at the beginning to middle of tournament. Slowed down near end but was one of Canada’s best.

Dellandrea-C+
received the most Ice of any forward, had 5 points in 5 games but Canada needed more from anyone getting that icetime. Played well at times.

LAVOIE- A
A player no one outside of Quebec had heard of ended up being Canada’s greatest threat. Smart positionally for the shot, weak skater but great tournament.

McBain - B+
Big bodied C/W who killed penalties, played all fwd positions on what looked like every line. Coaches should have left him with Veleno. Rated low first round, high second, but has tremendous ceiling. 1 goal 2 assists, a solid yet unspectacular tourny.

Veleno-C-
Again Veleno disappoints. You can see the skill, the agility and the smarts. To be considered excellent you have to produce.
No goals and 3 assists in 4 games is not good enough.

Noel-B+
Great start to tourny, faded badly near the end. Used his body more than i’ve Seen which is good, but needs to work on balance and strength. All in all a good tourny for him

Foudy-B+
Although he was a first round pick, he virtually came out of nowhere for the last month and a half of season. Good wheels and vision. Big mistakes resulting in goals against in tourny but showed nicely overall.

McShane-B+
Smallish, slow footed, great hands, opportunistic player that can flash great skill but disappeared for long stretches of tourny. Even so was chosen as Canada’s top fwd.

Dudas-D
As a late addition, this add, added nothing to the team or chemistry of the lines. Small, speedy player added only one goal and no assists in 3 mediocre games. Wasn’t even invited to prospects game, but lit it up after someone was injured and carried momentum rest of season. That’s where it ended. Brought nothing to Team canada.

Fonstad and Wauters C+
Honest players, limited Ice, limited opportunities. Ice eaten up by McShane, Dellandrea Hillis and Dudas. Played well when asked.

Hillis- F
A real dud of a tourny. Played small, and took 6 minor penalties, many in offensive zone and at terrible times of the game. A clock eater who for some reason got top 6 minutes. 5 games no goals 2 assists. Not sure if he was a disappointment as I really didn’t expect much from him.

Thomas-F
Thomas came in as one of the players Canada would rely on. He was a complete disappointment scoring one empty net goal and adding one assist in 4 games before getting hurt. Looking slow footed, no compete and questionable plays resulting in goals against, he looked nothing like a top 20 ranked player. Worst player on the team.

Goaltending-B
Rodrigue was solid as was Ellis and Mandolese when called upon.

Coaching staff -F
Questionable line changes and falling in love with underacheivers Who get the lions share of ice time leads to a quarter final loss.

I’d like to hear comments. Agree? Disagree?

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
Disagree intensely with the Hillis grade but the rest are pretty spot on

Hillis was usually the only player generating offensive chances for the team. he displayed some great vision and overall looked good. took some bad penalties in the QF game which obviously were important but I liked him a whole lot more than Veleno, McBain, or Dellandrea at centre. It would have been nice to see him get a little more skill on his wings too.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Hillis generated nothing. Took a bad penalty against the Swedes as well with 2 min left to allow them a pp goal to tie it up with 1:30 left and send it to overtime. No goals and 2 secondary assists is anemic for the amount of ice time he received. He had Foudy, McShane, and Dudas on his line I agree Dudas added nothing bu Hillis had only five shots on net in 5 games. He generated nothing but turn overs and power plays for the opposition. He is small, lost puck battles and only had the puck on the perimeter when the opposition played a box plus one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->