Team Canada WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrisweb

Jul 1, 2002
Calgary ab
Visit site
Why wouldn't Ellis be in the running for a position on the team. He was dominant last year in the Q one of the best goalies in the league. Played well at Canada's camp and was also very impressive at his NHL clubs camp. Unless he totally bombs this year in the Q I don't see how he could not be at least the backup. Just because he wasn't a first round draft pick does not mean he can't play for Canada.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Greg7 said:
16 year olds rarely make the team (Gretzky, Lindros, Spezza, Bouwmeester, Crosby are the only ones who ever have), and I'd be shocked if Esposito even got remotely close to making it. Right now it's looking something like this:

in goal:
Price
Dubnyk
Ellis has a very outside chance if he plays great or if one of Price or Dubnyk get hurt or really suck before Christmas.

defense:
Barker (is he back from Chicago yet? in any case, he'll be at the WJs, even if he's still with the Blackhawks, which is unlikely)
Fistric
Bourdon
Staal
Parent
two of Rogers, Mikkelson, Jackson, and anyone who has a great start to the year

up front:
Chipchura
Bolland
Brule (who should be back with the Giants after he recovers from his broken sternum)
Pouliot
McCardle
Boyd
Latendresse
Wolski (if the Avs release him, which I expect they will if they haven't sent him back to junior)
then 5 more of these guys (in what I think is the approximate order of their likelihood of making it): Little, Comeau (I really think he should be on this team), Bourret, O'Marra, Bass (I bet Sutter loves this guy and he fills the 4th line centre spot nicely), Chucko, Bertram.
Some other guys who could make a case for themselves if they have good starts to the season include Setoguchi, McGrath, Cogliano, Pyatt, Toews, and probably a few others I've missed.

This is all subject to change because of injuries and how guys start the season, and a couple checker/grinder types probably need to be added, but the team should look something like that. Whole lot of 87s in that group.

Esposito has to be considered, he's lighting it up right now in the Q and if he continues to lead the Q in scoring he could very well get an invite.

I also think Derek Brassard has to be given some consideration at this point.

Remember this will probably be a smaller camp again with Sutter at the helm, although there are less spots guranteed or should I say returning veterans, so they may invite more players.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
as an Islanders fan i hope Comeau and O'Marra.

O'Marra was born in Japan so maybe he can play for there team...j/k

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
HabLover said:
Esposito has to be considered, he's lighting it up right now in the Q and if he continues to lead the Q in scoring he could very well get an invite.

I also think Derek Brassard has to be given some consideration at this point.

Remember this will probably be a smaller camp again with Sutter at the helm, although there are less spots guranteed or should I say returning veterans, so they may invite more players.
Brassard is a perfect example of both guys I had forgotten and grinding types that need to be added. I agree, he will receive consideration.

On Esposito, I've never seen the guy once and know only a little about him, but especially on a Sutter team with the kind of things he demands of his players, for me it is really hard to see a 16 year old making the team. He'd have to have a pretty phenomenal first half and a great camp to take a spot from an older guy. Few 16 year olds have the physical makeup required to play with guys three years older than them, and even fewer have the physical makeup to play the way Sutter wants against guys three years older than them. Still, I've never seen the kid so I could very well be wrong.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
cyrisweb said:
Why wouldn't Ellis be in the running for a position on the team. He was dominant last year in the Q one of the best goalies in the league. Played well at Canada's camp and was also very impressive at his NHL clubs camp. Unless he totally bombs this year in the Q I don't see how he could not be at least the backup. Just because he wasn't a first round draft pick does not mean he can't play for Canada.
The trouble is he has to beat out one of Price or Dubnyk to make it. I can't imagine him beating out Price, who I think will start, and Dubnyk seems to me to be the current favourite by a wide margin for the other spot. Ellis is good, but I don't think he's quite as good as his reputation on these boards seems to be. He's very quick and agile with great reflexes, but not quite as strong positionally or fundamentally as Price and Dubnyk. Price in particular is equally quick with as good reactions imo, with superiour fundamentals. Ellis looks small in the net and often tends to overcompensate and slide around a bit wildly and out of control. Price and Dubnyk both use their size well and are better at staying square to the puck, staying in position after the initial save and using their size. Certainly I think Ellis is their third choice, but I do think he is definitely behind Price and Dubnyk. Just my opinion.

Leafs 67 and Waiting

Jul 15, 2005
USA
I do not understand why James Neal 33rd overall Dallas this yrs draft does not apperar to be on anyones list.

He is 6' 3'' 190lbs great offensive skills.
Does it have to do with the fact he plays in Plymouth?

He should be on this team when it comes time in my opinion.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Goal Mouth Scramble said:
I do not understand why James Neal 33rd overall Dallas this yrs draft does not apperar to be on anyones list.
I don't think he was at the summer camp. Altough he could still make, very few players make the team that were not at the summer camp.

Transported Upstater

19 for president said:
Slight correction bout JM he plays in the OHL not CHL, but you are quite correct about his having a great start.

:shakehead

CHL = CANADIAN HOCKEY LEAGUE!!!!!!

We're not talking about the Continental Hockey League...honestly, no player capable of playing in the WJC's would be in that league...

Transported Upstater

boredmale said:
as an Islanders fan i hope Comeau and O'Marra.

O'Marra was born in Japan so maybe he can play for there team...j/k

I love how Devin Setoguchi was born in Alberta and Ryan "My name cannot possibly be any more Irish" O'Marra was born in Japan.

He said at border crossings he always gets funny looks...

Lessy

Jul 21, 2004
Sudbury
Any predictions for the grind/energy line? I would have thought Downie would be a prime pick for that energy line before the incident a few weeks ago. I think guys like Cody Bass or Setoguchi would be able to fill those role player spots. Any others?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
While most people have already listed them as probable members of the team, Pouliot, Cogliano and Latendresse were the top producing line at the summer camp, so it seems likely they will get a long look together as a line when the December camp comes together. If they continue to click, they will most likely remain as one of the scoring lines.

Starscream

May 11, 2004
Riverview NB
Dr.Sens(e) said:
While most people have already listed them as probable members of the team, Pouliot, Cogliano and Latendresse were the top producing line at the summer camp, so it seems likely they will get a long look together as a line when the December camp comes together. If they continue to click, they will most likely remain as one of the scoring lines.

man I was so hoping the oilers would have drafted Latendresse in the second round, would have been a killer future scoring line

Schremp, Cogliano and Latendresse

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Hedberg said:
My Guess:

Goal: Carey Price, Devin Dubynk
Defence: Cam Barker, Luc Bourdon, Mark Fistric, Ryan Parent, Andy Rogers, Brendan Mikkelson, Marc Staal
Forwards: Daniel Bertram, David Bolland, Alex Bourret, Gilbert Brule (I'm guessing he will be returned to Junior), Kyle Chipchura, Andrew Cogliano, Guillaume Latendresse, Kendall McCardell, Blake Comeau, Bryan Little, Ryan O'Marra, Benoit Pouliot, Michael Blunden

Take out Andy Rogers and put on Scott Jackson :yo:

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Hedberg said:
My Guess:

Goal: Carey Price, Devin Dubynk
Defence: Cam Barker, Luc Bourdon, Mark Fistric, Ryan Parent, Andy Rogers, Brendan Mikkelson, Marc Staal
Forwards: Daniel Bertram, David Bolland, Alex Bourret, Gilbert Brule (I'm guessing he will be returned to Junior), Kyle Chipchura, Andrew Cogliano, Guillaume Latendresse, Kendall McCardell, Blake Comeau, Bryan Little, Ryan O'Marra, Benoit Pouliot, Michael Blunden

I bet Dustin Boyd will be on the team he was a late cut last year.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
what's the actual cut off date age-wise for this tourney?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Hmm.

Looks like Pogge is making a case for himself between the pipes.

86/04/22

J.Pogge: 11gms, 8-3-0, 1.87gaa, .905sv%, 2so

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
zeke said:
Hmm.

Looks like Pogge is making a case for himself between the pipes.

86/04/22

J.Pogge: 11gms, 8-3-0, 1.87gaa, .905sv%, 2so

Pogge has a good GAA but is only the 14th ranked WHL goalie on SV%. Not to take anything away from Pogge (cause I really like him and think he is rather underrated) but facing an average of only 20 shots per game sure helps to keep the GAA low. In only 4 games this season he faced more than 20 shots. Calgary has a very good defense this year.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jmelm said:
I am willing to bet Kristopher Letang makes this team on defense.
If he doesn't make the team (like Whitney and the Pens) are you going to still claim he is Canada's #1 defencemen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad