team canada wjc selection camp announced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Hossa said:
The three most notable omissions are Cam Barker, Steve Bernier and Corey Locke.

Barker is amazing because he's a likely top 5 pick this year, and is scoring close to a point a game in the WHL this year.

Bernier has had a poor season, although I'm surprised Marc-Andre Bernier has been invited but Steve Bernier has not been.

Possibly the most unbelievable is Locke though. CHL Player of the Year last year, hardly having a poor season considering how weak a team he is playing on this season.

Steve Bernier played very well against the Russian Selects in the 2 RE-MAX Challenge games he played--he also represented Canada very well in the last U-18 World Championships---they supposedly were looking for big+physical with skill --he has all that--so why M.A. Bernier (not as big or physical) from the "Q" and not STEVE? Also Kyle Brodziak makes it obver Steve Bernier? The brain trust clearly was on something...also the overwhelming "DUB" bias ..ALSO --they blew a tire on the "Q" goalies...NO WAY are Daigneault and DesLauriers better than COREY CRAWFORD who is technically superior ..but it won't matter in goal:
a) IF PIT releases M.A. Fleury --he will start and both of the 2 "Q" goalies invited will get dropped...the 2 "DUB" goalies would back -up Fleury..
b) if PIT refuses--the "DUB" goalies are going to start ahead of the remaining "Q" goalie anyway...I think Team Canada has its mind made up on the goalie order from the getgo = FLEURY if available --if not only 1 other "Q" goalie makes the squad (as the 3rd stringer)...

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I really hope Horton, Fleury go to the camp and one thing does not make sense why Minn. wont let Burns go.

Fleury- Pittsbergh is not making anymore gains with him in nets right now if anything right now his confidence must have taken a small hit, let the kid play in the World Juniors and help Canada win and let Fleury have another chance at trying to win gold for his country. Pitts is going to be a bottom dewler this year no matter if Fleury or Caron is in nets so let the kid go.

Horton- I am not a big fan but the guy was size, power and soft hands and NHL experience. Flordia doesn't really need Horton that bad for the month of December and a little of January, he never got the chance to do it last year, let him do it this year. Horton isn't a big part of the team yet and this tourny could only do him good for the future.

Burns- Why Minn wont let him go is beyond me I don't know.

Harry Paratestes

Thats the whole problem with "Team Canada" ..too political .I say pick the best players period .If they all come from the Dub ..great ..if they are from the Q ..O ..i dont care as long as we get Gold .Ime tired of seeing good players left off the team because Quebec only has one player on the team and Ontario has 12 .blah ..blah ..blah .
The biggest whiners are Quebec ..not trying to start a war but it seems every year the Quebec media complains the most about guys being left off the team .
Listen ..PICK THE BEST !!!!!!!!PERIOD.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
hawksfan50 said:
Steve Bernier played very well against the Russian Selects in the 2 RE-MAX Challenge games he played--he also represented Canada very well in the last U-18 World Championships---they supposedly were looking for big+physical with skill --he has all that--so why M.A. Bernier (not as big or physical) from the "Q" and not STEVE? Also Kyle Brodziak makes it obver Steve Bernier? The brain trust clearly was on something...also the overwhelming "DUB" bias .

I have to agree I thought that the Re-MAX Russian series would be a strong basis for the Selection of camp , yet it seems that the WJC braintrust had already made up their minds before the tourney even began... After watch all 6 games, and wondering why the stronger performances of Steve Bernier, Ben Eager, and Swift Current team mates Tyler Redenbach and Jeremy Williams where among the strongest and stood out during the series and there where others too.. While players like Brodziak for example did very little to earn a right to represent Canada, other than SIZE and thats not a good enough reason..

Goalie Terrorizer

Mar 6, 2002
Québec cty
Visit site
Harry Paratestes said:
Thats the whole problem with "Team Canada" ..too political .I say pick the best players period .If they all come from the Dub ..great ..if they are from the Q ..O ..i dont care as long as we get Gold .Ime tired of seeing good players left off the team because Quebec only has one player on the team and Ontario has 12 .blah ..blah ..blah .
The biggest whiners are Quebec ..not trying to start a war but it seems every year the Quebec media complains the most about guys being left off the team .
Listen ..PICK THE BEST !!!!!!!!PERIOD.

I totally agree with you...and I'm a Quebequer. Also, you can't be as annoyed as I am of hearing our medias always complaining about this. Let's pick the best players and get gold, I agree 100%. Just one thing : don't generalize.

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Goalie Terrorizer said:
I totally agree with you...and I'm a Quebequer. Also, you can't be as annoyed as I am of hearing our medias always complaining about this. Let's pick the best players and get gold, I agree 100%. Just one thing : don't generalize.

Sometimes picking the best players, doesn't exactly mean it's the best team to send. I mean look at the World Championship team for example. I am sure there were more skilled guys available then Draper, and Reinprecht, but you need those role players to put in those certain situations. That's why I myself believe that any of these guys would make a great team. And I have one more question, what exactly do you consider the "best players". Are they just the guys leading in points, or do consider assets like leadership and defensive awareness. That's why I was glad to see a guy like Colliton at least be given a chance to make the team. In fact, I would really like no one else out there killing a penalty in the final few minutes of a one goal hockey game. However, that's just me.

Harry Paratestes

I didnt mean for it to come across as mean as it did .Maybe its the media perspective here in anglo Canada that we always seem to get clips of french media chastizing the player selection .
Listen frankly i wouldnt care if the team was made up of all eskimos ..i just want to win .When we won all those Golds i was just as happy for Martin Lapointe to score as i was for Eric Lindros or Scott Niedermayer .We have to put aside this magic "quota" of so many QMJ, WHL and OHL .
I just want to win .:handclap:

Last edited by a moderator:

Goalie Terrorizer

Mar 6, 2002
Québec cty
Visit site
Bandwagoner said:
Sometimes picking the best players, doesn't exactly mean it's the best team to send. I mean look at the World Championship team for example. I am sure there were more skilled guys available then Draper, and Reinprecht, but you need those role players to put in those certain situations. That's why I myself believe that any of these guys would make a great team. And I have one more question, what exactly do you consider the "best players". Are they just the guys leading in points, or do consider assets like leadership and defensive awareness. That's why I was glad to see a guy like Colliton at least be given a chance to make the team. In fact, I would really like no one else out there killing a penalty in the final few minutes of a one goal hockey game. However, that's just me.

Well, if you prefer I can reformulate it like that : take the players that makes the best team. The point was not about that, it was that, as Harry Paratestes said, that we should just select the players that will make us win, no matter if they are from the Q, the O or the W. I just assumed that the players who would make us win would be the best players but I understand your point and agree with you also.

Anfernic

Feb 19, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
Like some said the choice was made before the Remax challenge, and because Crosby was there (16 years old) guys like Brule, Barker and Picard were not choose because there are too young. But young players can be usefull and that's what team Canada should learn.

MentalPowerHouse

Oct 11, 2003
The Messenger said:
I have to agree I thought that the Re-MAX Russian series would be a strong basis for the Selection of camp , yet it seems that the WJC braintrust had already made up their minds before the tourney even began... After watch all 6 games, and wondering why the stronger performances of Steve Bernier, Ben Eager, and Swift Current team mates Tyler Redenbach and Jeremy Williams where among the strongest and stood out during the series and there where others too.. While players like Brodziak for example did very little to earn a right to represent Canada, other than SIZE and thats not a good enough reason..

Why would the Re-MAX serious against a subpar Russian team make much of a impact? Ben Eager played 1 good game against a poor Russian team on our ice, I don't see why that should vault him up above other players.

These games were meaningless, and not very useful for evaluating purposes. Good or bad performances at them shouldn't be taken into strong account.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I agree that the Canada/Russia games were not overly useful for evaluating skill levels, but they may have been instrumental in determining the TEAM players and the guys they want in the dressing room. The scouts have been evaluating skill since the beginning of the season. While this team may not be the most skilled (however, I don't believe that's true), most of the invitees are leaders on their respective teams (how many guys wear a C or an A?) and may form the best team.

Nicster65

May 14, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hossa said:
There's a difference between what Locke did and has done in the OHL compared to what Gamache did in the QMJHL. Believe me, I've watched both leagues extensively, having grown up in Ottawa (Hull/Gatineau right there), I know that guys like Gamache are hardly a rare commodity in the Q. But in the OHL, what Locke did, was simply unbelievable. I mean, Locke was the first OHL player to win the CHL Top Scorer award since Marc Savard in 94-95.

I've watched guys like Pavel Rosa, Christian Dube, Martin Menard and Ales Hemsky come through Hull, and guys like Locke, Alyn McCauley, Mark Bell, Dan Tessier, Miguel Delisle and Matt Foy come through Ottawa. Of the players mentioned, only Hemsky has the playmaking skills to match Locke.

....Like you, I've seen all the players mentioned above...........and I gotta say Simon Gamache definitely sees the game as well as Locke...................Gamache and Locke are identical..........in fact I may even give an edge to Gimache in the skating department.....

I think you'll even see same career path for the two as well...........some success in the AHL and the odd sniff in the NHL.......

"Only Hemsky has the palymaking skills to match Locke...."

.I can't agree here either.......Hemsky is probably the most dynamic player in either the "O" or the "Q" in the past 4 or 5 years .......Brad Richards included.....(If you were to put Hemsky with Foy and Sheppard for a full season...........records would be shattered)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->