Team Canada WJC (considering Can/Russia series)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
E&M said:
I would love to see Brule make the team, but after seeing how much (or little in his case) ice time he got in the game last night, I don't even think he will be invited to camp. It's too bad, because the guy is good. Oh well, next year in Vancouver he'll be there for sure.
Apparently he was fighting a cold or something so his icetime might be a reflection
of that.It would be a mistake not to take him.HE's good enough and also he'd help
future teams.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
What are the centermen like on draws for Team Canada. I just counted up Zajac's stats and he won 135 of 242 which gives him a 55.6% rate.....in college hockey I would think that was good. I know Carter is usually around 60%, he is amazing at the circle.....what about Richards and Crosby.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
According to the Q site, Crosby is 52.5% on draws, not too shabby. I'm not sure about Richards though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
****....it isn't looking good for Zajac then. With three great faceoff centermen Zajac won't really be needed for important draws. The fact the he only plays center will also hurt his case.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
kruezer said:
Pouliot up at 56.8% as well.

Is Zajac eligible next year? Or is he an 85?
Pouliot has little chance IMO. Sutter doesn't want many Q players and Pouliot didn't do enough at the Canada/Russia series.

He is an 85, he opted out of last years draft. Since Sutter couldn't get much of a view of him playing in the NCAA I expect Zajac to be invited to camp.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I agree on Pouliot, I just had his stats right there thought I'd mention it. :D

I could see Zajac getting a long look, I think Sutter will go almost exclusively 85 this year, Sutter seems to trust the older guys.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
kruezer said:
I agree on Pouliot, I just had his stats right there thought I'd mention it. :D

I could see Zajac getting a long look, I think Sutter will go almost exclusively 85 this year, Sutter seems to trust the older guys.
I don't follow the WHL that much, is that how he runs his team in the Dub?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
jcpenny said:
Forwards

Stewart-Richards-Dawes
Getzlaf-Carter-Horton*(Perry or Bolland if he cant make it)
Picard-Crosby-Bergeron
Chipchura-Stone-Coliton
ex:Brule

Defensemen

Dion Phaneuf - Shea Weber
Brent Burns - Brent Seabrooke
Braydon Coburn - Cameron Barker
extra: Mike Green

Goaltenders

Kevin Nastiuk
Munce

I'm in almost complete agreement with jcpenny. The only thing for me is I don't think Horton or Burns will be released. So, I'd go with:

Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Picard-Crosby-Bergeron
Getzlaf-Carter-Perry
Ladd-Colliton-Fehr
Brule

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Seabrook
Barker-Green
Belle

Goaltenders

Nastiuk
Munce

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
GenuineRisk said:
According to this article at sportsnet, Horton and Burns are not being released:
Exxcellent. (Kind of... I don't need to see them.) So strike them, strike Chipchura from consideration...

Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Perry-Carter-Getzlaf
(Fehr/Bernier/Picard)-Crosby-Bergeron
Colliton-Dixon-(Stone/Meyer)
(Stone/Meyer/Bolland)

Phaneuf-Weber
Seabrooke-Coburn
Barker-Green
Belle/Syvret
... is a go for me. It's a good sign for some players who might have been on the bubble to get a much-deserved invite.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
JasonMacIsaac said:
I don't follow the WHL that much, is that how he runs his team in the Dub?
His team is in a transition right now, but generally, yes I think he definetaly favours the older guys, its extremely hard for a younger guy to break into the Rebels IMO.

Also, I think this year, given the strength of the Canadian 85 class, there will be alot of pressure for him to create the best team possible, I think Canada expects gold every year, but this year more than most IMO.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Before you guys trash Burns and the Wild for not releasing him (which Risebrough in another article said he was thinking about it), think about this.

The Wild want what is best for Burns. Right now he is a key player for the Aeros and developing faster and better than what we expected (fans and probably the Wild). You got 7 defensemen at most. Seabrooke, Belle, Coburn, and Phaneuf coming in. That leaves Burns pretty much on the last pairing or the extra, which means little to no ice time, unless somehow Burns beats out Barker, Belle, Seabrooke, Coburn, and Phaneuf for top pairing.

So, if you were a GM, and looking to develop your prospect, where would you place him? In the WJC where the chance of him playing is limited or down in your AHL club where he has been developing and is getting good ice time?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I dunno why teams wouldnt release their players for the WJC. The tourny is a pretty big event. I think theyd get alot more out of the World Juniors than they would in a few games in the AHL...

The WJC is about as high pressure as it gets if youre on a team like Canada.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't blame Risebrough at all. Burns is making a huge conversion from right wing to defense. AND, by the sound of it, I don't think they want to "Dandenault" him back and forth from one position to another. The best thing for him is to stay where he is and continue his development.

If he were to be released, there probably wouldn't be any guarantees that Sutter wouldn't have used him as a 'tweener.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I do not understand why these teams are not releasing them from the AHL. It's not as if this is a situation where a player is contributing to the NHL.

Ice-time and development? There is no better time to gain experience than playing in the incredibly high profile, high pressure situation of putting on a Canadian jersey. I'm sorry, but the experience gained from having to learn to deal with that immense pressure is far more than playing in a few AHL games.

Furthermore, the team plays two exhibition games, five round robin games, and then presumably three playoff games (quarter, semi, and either the gold or bronze medal match ---> yes I'm assuming Canada makes teh semi-finals).

That's ten games between Dec. 12 and Jan. 4.

You know how many the Aeros play? Six.

The Rampage on the other hand have a jam packed schedule in that time.

jcpenny

Aug 8, 2002
Montréal
Visit site
Aiight, no Horton and no Burns heres my new line up

Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Picard-Crosby-Bergeron
Getzlaf-Carter-Ladd
Bolland-Stone-Colliton
Brule

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Seabrook
Barker-Green
Belle

Goaltenders

Nastiuk
Munce

I dont see either Fehr or Perry on that team right now, Bolland and Stone would be more valuable with their feistiness and speed.

NewHabsEra*

Matt MacInnis said:
I disagree. I think that people are shooting down the Q based on their performances against a stronger Russian team than either the OHL or WHL faced, and not considering that, in my opinion, the selections done for the Q team were awful and did not reflect the best players in the league.

It has been the same thing last year... The Q All star team has been the only one to lost one game while the second game was very close... OHL and WHL won easily..

Hawkhead

Jun 5, 2004
Canada
www.kiekko.tk
Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Picard-Crosby-Bergeron
Getzlaf-Carter-Ladd
Bolland-Stone-Colliton
Brule

Phaneuf-Weber
Barker-Seabrook
Coborun-Belle
2 and 3 rotate occasionally

Goaltenders

Nastiuk
Munce

I agree here

how can u ppl not put barker? lol he lead the whl in point streak

is top 20 in scoring at D and tops all d-men in the whl which is the best defense league

Seabrook from some reports is very close to phaneuf level and ive heard some say hes better but i wont touch on that

Seabrook and barker = good chemistry

they started the 2nd game for team whl and have bonded at the hawks prospects camp

Green doesnt have a legit shot at making it imo

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
jcpenny said:

Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Picard-Crosby-Bergeron
Getzlaf-Carter-Ladd
Bolland-Stone-Colliton
Brule

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Seabrook
Barker-Green
Belle

Goaltenders

Nastiuk
Munce

I dont see either Fehr or Perry on that team right now, Bolland and Stone would be more valuable with their feistiness and speed.

Quebec will have 2 on the WJ team - Crosby and Bergeron

Ontario will have 4 - Perry, Richards, Stewart, Carter

WHL will have - Dawes, Stone, Getzlaf, Fehr, Brule, Phaneuf, Coburn, Weber, Seabrook, Barker, Green, Belle, Glass, Nastiuk,

Drop Picard and Ladd and include Perry Brule up front. In goal drop Munce and pick up Glass. There will be 2 not on my list likely from Ontario or West.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
jcpenny said:

Dawes-Richards-Stewart
Picard-Crosby-Bergeron
Getzlaf-Carter-Ladd
Bolland-Stone-Colliton
Brule

Phaneuf-Weber
Coburn-Seabrook
Barker-Green
Belle

Goaltenders

Nastiuk
Munce

In case you haven't noticed, Picard has been injured.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If I were to make the team my lines would be as following:

Dawes-Richards-Stewart = The line that dominated both offensivly, physically and defensivly at the WJC last year. They will be counted on to hold their own share of the offensive slack.

Getzlaf-Carter-Zajac = The big line from last year except Burns is switched with Zajac. This line has size, speed, defensive awareness and scoring. The will be out there vs the opposing teams top line.

Perry-Crosby-Fehr = Perry and Fehr teamed along side with Crosby is downright scary. This line will dominate the tournement. Expect all three to have over 10 points.

Bergeron-Dixon-Colliton = Bergeron played a good checking role for Canada at the World Championships. This line will grind the hell out of the opposing teams 2nd best line.

Extra - Stone

Phaneuf-Weber = Physically dominant shutdown line. This pair will go out with the Carter line verses the opponents top line.

Colburn-Green = A mix of speed and grit. The perfect defense combo for a 2nd defense combo.

Barker-Seabrook = Like the 2nd line this combo has speed and grit, Barker should jump in the rush quite a bit from this pairing.

Syvret

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
JasonMacIsaac said:
If I were to make the team my lines would be as following:

Dawes-Richards-Stewart = The line that dominated both offensivly, physically and defensivly at the WJC last year. They will be counted on to hold their own share of the offensive slack.

Getzlaf-Carter-Zajac = The big line from last year except Burns is switched with Zajac. This line has size, speed, defensive awareness and scoring. The will be out there vs the opposing teams top line.

Perry-Crosby-Fehr = Perry and Fehr teamed along side with Crosby is downright scary. This line will dominate the tournement. Expect all three to have over 10 points.

Bergeron-Dixon-Colliton = Bergeron played a good checking role for Canada at the World Championships. This line will grind the hell out of the opposing teams 2nd best line.

Extra - Stone

Phaneuf-Weber = Physically dominant shutdown line. This pair will go out with the Carter line verses the opponents top line.

Colburn-Green = A mix of speed and grit. The perfect defense combo for a 2nd defense combo.

Barker-Seabrook = Like the 2nd line this combo has speed and grit, Barker should jump in the rush quite a bit from this pairing.

Syvret
I like this line-up, I'd probably switch Zajac and Bergeron however.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
trahans99 said:
In case you haven't noticed, Picard has been injured.

I just saw Picard play the other night against Steve Bernier's (a guy who I think should at least get an invite) Moncton Wildcats.

Picard is healthy and playing well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad