WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
McE has only played against Denmark, South Korea and Norway. Not very strong teams. The game against Finland he looked uncomfortable throughout the entire game, Kuemper hasnt been any better either.

Since he got pulled early, there wasn't much time to get settled in, especially when the whole time he was in there was a debacle of high danger deflections, dman giveways, a parade to the penalty box and even a perfect deflection from your own teammate.

If Canada played like that in front of anyone they would never win the game. Prime whoever.

This is coming from someone who never really liked when the Leafs resigned McBackup and thought we were going to see Pickard at some point in the year. He proved me wrong this year.

Im down with criticizing his play and I have many times but Canada was brutal that first period. If Canada plays to it's potential, the two keepers we have are fine.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I was busy all day and am just learning of the final score now..wow a 2-1 OT win over Latvia, did not expect that. This team isn't impressive whatsoever, especially after the last 3 years.

I'd be shocked if this team gets past the QF. This Canadian team should have throttled Latvia when you compare the rosters. This team just doesn't have that special something.

DavidLamb

Nov 14, 2017
Hockey Canada should not add guy,Marc-Édouard Vlasic, who are really look sluggish on the big ice. He cannot barely carry the puck out of the zone. He maybe great defensively he looks like a moving pole, kindly destroyed the Canadian team momentum. They should bring over great guy who can skate.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
So are folks starting to warm up to Edmundson or is he still one of Canada's worst dmen who shouldn't even be in the lineup?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Not seeing any chemistry or mojo out of this team at all, they aren't coming together as a team and there is no intensity or urgency.

I think getting out of the quarters is about the best that can be hoped for, it just isn't happening for this team.

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
Still think this team will win Gold. Only two with any chemistry is McDavid and RNH, rest look pretty bad. Other decent showing would be O'Reilly and Jost has looked good, Barzal looks good as well but keeps losing it in the offensive zone, Eberle has looked bad, rest very meh.

It's not like they are not outplaying the opponents, because they are outshooting them at least 2-1, not much going in.

The PP needs to be revamped, because it is horrible.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Canada's lousy showing so far is quite inexplicable given their firepower. Ten 20-goal scorers. No other roster is close that offensive ability.

They're just lacking that spark.

Reactions: Rob

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It's just a disjointed team at this point. The talent is there so I won't count the team out in any individual game but there isn't much to indicate that a positive result is incoming. Canada is going to play Sweden or Russia in the next game and either is a challenge. Canad has a much better roster than Russia does but Russia has been playing pretty well in the tournament, at the very least better than Canada has. Sweden has a strong roster and has also played well. Either way it will be good to see what McDavid can do if and when he has to carry the team against a solid team. The shout out to Jost is appropriate as well, he has been a pleasant surprise. Barzal is reminding me of his WJC performances, where he displays a ton of talent but overhandles the puck a bit too much. Canada's collective defensive play has been solid, though that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when the Canadian goaltenders were ripped apart against the only two quality teams that Canada faced.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
This preliminary round is eerily similar to Canada's preliminary games in group C at the 2002 Winter Olympics in the sense that they look very underwhelming.

Canada finished 3rd in the group in Salt Lake behind the Czechs and Swedes with 1W, 1L, 1 T, 8 points. We began the tournament with a 5-2 loss to Sweden, barely beat Germany 3-2 and tied the Czechs 3-3.

But they won the 3 games they needed to win (QF, SF, Final) and its all we need to do now, looking like a long shot but not impossible.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This preliminary round is eerily similar to Canada's preliminary games in group C at the 2002 Winter Olympics in the sense that they look very underwhelming.

Canada finished 3rd in the group in Salt Lake behind the Czechs and Swedes with 1W, 1L, 1 T, 8 points. We began the tournament with a 5-2 loss to Sweden, barely beat Germany 3-2 and tied the Czechs 3-3.

But they won the 3 games they needed to win (QF, SF, Final) and its all we need to do now, looking like a long shot but not impossible.
Canada also had many HOFer skaters and some guy named Brodeur in net.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Canada also had many HOFer skaters and some guy named Brodeur in net.

No need to examine the actual roster players, that doesn't change the similarity between two Canadian international teams performances in the prelims of a tournament. That 02' Canadian team was capable of winning the tournament from game 1, this Canadian team is also capable of winning this tournament.

Bear12Good

Dec 7, 2015
Russia
It's just a disjointed team at this point. The talent is there so I won't count the team out in any individual game but there isn't much to indicate that a positive result is incoming. Canada is going to play Sweden or Russia in the next game and either is a challenge. Canad has a much better roster than Russia does but Russia has been playing pretty well in the tournament, at the very least better than Canada has. Sweden has a strong roster and has also played well. Either way it will be good to see what McDavid can do if and when he has to carry the team against a solid team. The shout out to Jost is appropriate as well, he has been a pleasant surprise. Barzal is reminding me of his WJC performances, where he displays a ton of talent but overhandles the puck a bit too much. Canada's collective defensive play has been solid, though that doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when the Canadian goaltenders were ripped apart against the only two quality teams that Canada faced.
Agree. Russia have "C" team in this tournament.
I hope Canada-Russia game will be very intresting game for both teams)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Canada v Russia are almost always classics.

Really excited for this one, unfortunately I'll be watching a replay of it due to the time zone differences. Hope we crush them.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'm not going to be able to watch today's game live, but I mainly want to see what McDavid can do as the clear centrepiece of the Canadian team in an elimination game. It's difficult to predict the outcome of the game as Russia has clearly played better than Canada has while Canada has a lot more potential due to having a much more talented roster. I will be quite content if McDavid (and hopefully Barzal) puts up a big performance today, even if the rest of the team blows it. I also expect O'Reilly to show up in a bigger way today than he has in the early games.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well I for one won't be content if a couple of players show well.

This is Russia we are playing, I want to damn well win!!

Cmon guys..........................come to compete and play and smoke these guys!!

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Kuemper allows a weak goal through the body to allow the Russians to even the score.

This third will be entertaining. Canada needs to make sure Edmunsson stays out of the box. The McDavid line will need to come up big. calling it now: Barzal gets the game-winner.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I arrived home during Canada's final powerplay, so I guess I missed the bad and only saw the good. Nice to see McDavid play well in the biggest moment. Also nice to see O'Reilly step up, as expected.

I'll probably watch the replay later. Curious to see if the goals were the result of defensive errors or goaltending errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->