WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Give Chabot a good veteren defensive partner,and let him go a little....He is there too learn and also has the skill to help produce ,he is going to make some mistakes..But he will also make some fantastic plays

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
The Germans are always a pain in the ass in major international tournaments, after Finland.
Yeah, they have a pretty strong history of that,usually consisting of just shutting things down with tight defensive systems and hoping to keep it close and then getting a break offensively off the other teams mistakes.

Boring as hell hockey but at times very effective.

Reactions: Hagstrom

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
The lines have mostly been

Nugent Hopkins McDavid Schwartz
O'Reilly Schenn Bailey
Beauvillier Barzal Eberle
Dubois Horvat Pageau
Jost

That information is probably obsolete however as Canada started mixing lines significantly in the last game and is expected to continue doing so today. Jost has been fine, scored some goals in limited time and looks like he belongs. He should get more minutes during the game today as Dubois apparently has a minor injury.

Where do you think Turris would fit into this line-up?

Germany was 2nd place at the Olympics - no NHL players but they aren't a total cakewalk. I wouldn't walk into the next two CAN games expecting to sleepwalk to 8-0 victories, but anything short of two regulation wins and I would be very, very concerned going to QFs.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Where do you think Turris would fit into this line-up?

Germany was 2nd place at the Olympics - no NHL players but they aren't a total cakewalk. I wouldn't walk into the next two CAN games expecting to sleepwalk to 8-0 victories, but anything short of two regulation wins and I would be very, very concerned going to QFs.

Schenn is apparently being moved to wing for this game (on the McDavid line) so I expect that Turris will slide into his centre position. I think it's the right move.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I hope in next year Canada will play with good goalie)

Both are better than last year's keeper we went with and Picard managed to take us within a hair of gold.

Both are capable but lack a number 1 mentality which is why I like a rotation until the qf. The complaints have been a bit exaggerated so far.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Both are better than last year's keeper we went with and Picard managed to take us within a hair of gold.

Both are capable but lack a number 1 mentality which is why I like a rotation until the qf. The complaints have been a bit exaggerated so far.
Darcy Kuemper and Curtis McElhinney are certainly not better than Calvin Pickard.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Canada won't medal in this tournament. We have two sieves for goalies and the team isn't gelling well. McDavid is playing well but aside from him I can't see anyone else being noteworthy.

From what I am seeing, it's going to be an underwhelming result for Canada this year, unfortunately.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Have returned home after work and see this result..............colour me very concerned.

I don't quite understand it, the talent there is more then good enough to be having credible results this year. I guess it is a matter of what the above poster just mentioned....................they just aren't gelling well.

It happens. it's a shame because I have to think this is the last time we will be able to take advantage of the presence of mcdavid at this tournament for quite some time, if ever.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Darcy Kuemper and Curtis McElhinney are certainly not better than Calvin Pickard.

Both are NHL keepers and Pickard is the backup on the Marlies. 4th string to McElhinneys 2nd string job. I like Pickard and all but Sparks has outplayed him all year and McElhinney was a very good NHL backup this year.

Future GOAT

Apr 4, 2017
Both are NHL keepers and Pickard is the backup on the Marlies. 4th string to McElhinneys 2nd string job. I like Pickard and all but Sparks has outplayed him all year and McElhinney was a very good NHL backup this year.
To be fair, McElhinney probably won't be in the NHL very long if he continues to play the way he has in this tournament. He has been absolute garbage, and so has Kuemper.

Reactions: cg98

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012

Just for the record, McElhinney went 11-5-1 with a .934 save % and 2.14 GAA with the supposedly bad defensively Leafs this year. He's a solid NHLer.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
To be fair, McElhinney probably won't be in the NHL very long if he continues to play the way he has in this tournament. He has been absolute garbage, and so has Kuemper.

Didn't look great on the third goal against Finland I guess. Other than that he's been pretty good. Kuemper hasn't been terrible either. Just kinda meh.

Canada has bigger issues to worry about namely lack of scoring and glaring defensive issues against tough comp.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Just for the record, McElhinney went 11-5-1 with a .934 save % and 2.14 GAA with the supposedly bad defensively Leafs this year. He's a solid NHLer.
Yet Pickard helped Canada to a gold medal game last year on a worse defense than McE or Kuemper have in front of them this year. Pickard posted a 1.49 GAA and a .938 sv% in 7 games en route to a silver medal shootout loss, and he played against top level teams like the Czechs, Swiss, Finns, both the host nations, Russia, and the Swedes. McE and Kuemper are no where near as good this year and their international play against the top level teams has proven that. Id much rather have Pickard in net for this tournament than McE or Kuemper.

Last edited:

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Canada dominates possession but it seems as though many teams are content with letting them cycle all day along the boards on the big international ice. Imo, Canada's failure to score is directly related to their inability to effectively permeate the perimeter defence that most teams are employing. Their D also seems to have difficulty getting shots through to the net. Even Eklbad is struggling in that regard.

Reactions: Ori

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Yet Pickard helped Canada to a gold medal game last year on a worse defense than McE or Kuemper have in front of them this year. Pickard posted a 1.49 GAA and a .938 sv% in 7 games en route to a silver medal shootout loss, and he played against top level teams like the Czechs, Swiss, Finns, both the host nations, Russia, and the Swedes. McE and Kuemper are no where near as good this year and their international play against the top level teams has proven that. Id much rather have Pickard in net for this tournament than McE or Kuemper.

I know how good Pickard was and was estatic we got him in the Leafs organization.. It's a good thing the team didn't give up on him in that tourney either as he gave up a couple of bad goals in that tourney as well.

I don't think you are giving last years team very much credit as they have looked a better team than this year's version. Canada was getting outplayed by a depleted Latvia at various points today and got steamrolled when it comes to high danger chances against the Finns.

Having watched a ton of Marlies games this year, I'd rather have Garrett Sparks than Pickard in net. He's just a better keeper.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I know how good Pickard was and was estatic we got him in the Leafs organization.. It's a good thing the team didn't give up on him in that tourney either as he gave up a couple of bad goals in that tourney as well.

I don't think you are giving last years team very much credit as they have looked a better team than this year's version. Canada was getting outplayed by a depleted Latvia at various points today and got steamrolled when it comes to high danger chances against the Finns.

Having watched a ton of Marlies games this year, I'd rather have Garrett Sparks than Pickard in net. He's just a better keeper.

Theres a reason Garrett Sparks is still in the AHL, even Pickard has proven that hes capable of playing in the NHL and, he certainly proved that hes reliable for Team Canada at the worlds. The team last year was much better than this year all around for sure, the defense wouldve been much better had Tyson Barrie not gotten injured. Pickard did a good job at the tourny last year and at various points was keeping the team in games.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Theres a reason Garrett Sparks is still in the AHL, even Pickard has proven that hes capable of playing in the NHL and, he certainly proved that hes reliable for Team Canada at the worlds. The team last year was much better than this year all around for sure, the defense wouldve been much better had Tyson Barrie not gotten injured. Pickard did a good job at the tourny last year and at various points was keeping the team in games.

With Pickard on the Marlies, it may be that he is the backup simply because Sparks has been insane this year (just won AHL goaltender of the year). He would probably be the starter on many AHL teams.

McElhinney still has a .931 save percentage in this tourney and would probably be fine if called upon again. Just seems odd that he gets railed on for a teammate deflecting a goal in on him and allowing a high tip goal. He actually made a couple of crazy stops on tips just before things fell apart and hes only let in 4 goals all tourney and only 1 was a bad goal. Wouldnt give up on guy having a career year and playing well until Canada lets the Finns completely swarm them.

Again though, I'm far more worried about the offense than anything else although discipline and defense are up there too at certain points.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
This is looking disappointing for Canada. I don't have a problem with Canada failing to win the tournament but I want to see the top players play well. McDavid has been the most dangerous player on the Canadian team but honestly I wanted a bit more given the level of competition. It isn't really his fault though as his effort can't really be questioned. Schwartz has been quite disappointing as I considered him a solid B team level player and expected more. Lack of finishing is a problem but the effort at times is worse. The team needs someone other than McDavid to attack the net when nothing else is working.

Reactions: SpoolCat

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
With Pickard on the Marlies, it may be that he is the backup simply because Sparks has been insane this year (just won AHL goaltender of the year). He would probably be the starter on many AHL teams.

McElhinney still has a .931 save percentage in this tourney and would probably be fine if called upon again. Just seems odd that he gets railed on for a teammate deflecting a goal in on him and allowing a high tip goal. He actually made a couple of crazy stops on tips just before things fell apart and hes only let in 4 goals all tourney and only 1 was a bad goal. Wouldnt give up on guy having a career year and playing well until Canada lets the Finns completely swarm them.

Again though, I'm far more worried about the offense than anything else although discipline and defense are up there too at certain points.

McE has only played against Denmark, South Korea and Norway. Not very strong teams. The game against Finland he looked uncomfortable throughout the entire game, Kuemper hasnt been any better either.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
This is looking disappointing for Canada. I don't have a problem with Canada failing to win the tournament but I want to see the top players play well. McDavid has been the most dangerous player on the Canadian team but honestly I wanted a bit more given the level of competition. It isn't really his fault though as his effort can't really be questioned. Schwartz has been quite disappointing as I considered him a solid B team level player and expected more. Lack of finishing is a problem but the effort at times is worse. The team needs someone other than McDavid to attack the net when nothing else is working.
Shocking to see how ineffective ROR has been as well. Must be tired and frustrated after playing so much hockey for not only Team Canada, but for a Buffalo team that has lived in the darkest of basements in NHL standings for the past few years.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Shocking to see how ineffective ROR has been as well. Must be tired and frustrated after playing so much hockey for not only Team Canada, but for a Buffalo team that has lived in the darkest of basements in NHL standings for the past few years.

I am surprised that O'Reilly hasn't been better as he had been excellent the past three years. He was good against USA but had only been solid in the recent games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->