WC: Team Canada Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Hall plays 5 extra games for the first time in his career and he's burnt out? Jeez.

(Most likely mentally burnt out)

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Michael DiPietro has been invited to be 3rd goalie

At first glance that seems odd, but perhaps there is some benefit. It's been a weak year for Canadian goaltenders and I suppose that several have refused. DiPietro obviously won't play, so it could be a decent international experience for the goaltender who looks like the favourite to play for Canada at the next WJC.

I wonder if Hockey Canada will look to Canadian goaltenders who play in Europe if the first round doesn't yield anyone else. Seems very possible at this point.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for Dipietro for getting the invite. As has been said he probably won't get to play but he's still a decent hand to have should both main goalies get injured.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Hall plays 5 extra games for the first time in his career and he's burnt out? Jeez.

has nothing to do with the fact that Hockey Canada has burned him more than once(kunitz over Hall????) despite him going every time he was asked ? he could just want a break, a very well deserved one . I wouldn't go either, they don't call me for the important ones but the small ones they expect me to ?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
has nothing to do with the fact that Hockey Canada has burned him more than once(kunitz over Hall????) despite him going every time he was asked ? he could just want a break, a very well deserved one . I wouldn't go either, they don't call me for the important ones but the small ones they expect me to ?

Hall has refused this tournament when healthy before, at the very least two times before this year. He's well within his rights to refuse though, he's paid his dues and Hockey Canada has snubbed him at the highest level.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Hall better have a very good reason for not accepting an invite. Big boys don't whine about pettiness.
Hes won 2 world championships with Team Canada and has been blown over for best on best competitions to begin with, he owes no obligation to play in this tournament anymore, I certainly wouldn’t blame him after having a phenomenal year on a Devils team thats window is just starting to open.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Snubbed cause he played on the shitty Oilers. Much like everyone else saw him as a one dimensional streaky winger until he carried the Devils.

80% of posters here on HF thought the same of him as Team Canada did.

Reactions: Jamin

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Hes won 2 world championships with Team Canada and has been blown over for best on best competitions to begin with, he owes no obligation to play in this tournament anymore, I certainly wouldn’t blame him after having a phenomenal year on a Devils team thats window is just starting to open.

If he wants to play with the big boys he won't think he was "blown over" for other competitions. If he wants to be considered one of the country's best players then he should embrace any opportunity to play for Canada, like I said he better have a good reason for not accepting and whining about not being picked on other teams doesn't cut it.

We are Canada.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
If he wants to play with the big boys he won't think he was "blown over" for other competitions. If he wants to be considered one of the country's best players then he should embrace any opportunity to play for Canada, like I said he better have a good reason for not accepting and whining about not being picked on other teams doesn't cut it.

We are Canada.
No he shouldnt have to play this tournament to play a best on best tournament. He was a key contributor to Canadas 2 gold medals in 15 and 16 to begin with. He has absolutely no obligation to play this tournament, and hes taken the next step in his NHL career and he has nothing to prove at this tournament. He doesnt have to oblige to yours or HCs demands for this tournament. If he wants to go, he’ll go.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Hall has refused this tournament when healthy before, at the very least two times before this year. He's well within his rights to refuse though, he's paid his dues and Hockey Canada has snubbed him at the highest level.

I wouldn't say he was snubbed, he wasn't at his peak yet.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
No he shouldnt have to play this tournament to play a best on best tournament. He was a key contributor to Canadas 2 gold medals in 15 and 16 to begin with. He has absolutely no obligation to play this tournament, and hes taken the next step in his NHL career and he has nothing to prove at this tournament. He doesnt have to oblige to yours or HCs demands for this tournament. If he wants to go, he’ll go.

Like I said he better have a good reason for not accepting the invite and I hope for him it's not something petty, I'm sure he has a good reason and I'll text him later to find out what it is.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
HC needs to fill out those final roster spots...and soon. team is scheduled to depart for Latvia in 2-3 days...and if the plan is to fill out those remaining spots with Olympic Eurotour team players like Wolski or Derek Roy while players like Huberdeau on left shrugging their shoulders asking, why not me? well, I'm just going to tune out of this tournament for this year. If Hockey Canada isn't going to take it seriously, then nor should I. I wish all the players well and McDavid to win the scoring title and delight the Danish hockey fans, but I have more important things to consume my time this spring... like being a father for the first time. It's a girl 2 days old and she's a Sharks fan already just like her parents. So, the three of us will be busy with the Sharks run.

Reactions: 99664987

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
HC needs to fill out those final roster spots...and soon. team is scheduled to depart for Latvia in 2-3 days...and if the plan is to fill out those remaining spots with Olympic Eurotour team players like Wolski or Derek Roy while players like Huberdeau on left shrugging their shoulders asking, why not me? well, I'm just going to tune out of this tournament for this year. If Hockey Canada isn't going to take it seriously, then nor should I. I wish all the players well and McDavid to win the scoring title and delight the Danish hockey fans, but I have more important things to consume my time this spring... like being a father for the first time. It's a girl 2 days old and she's a Sharks fan already just like her parents. So, the three of us will be busy with the Sharks run.

Congrats buddy, say goodbye to sleep. snipes jr. is just about a year old -- family, following hockey, and building a career is tough.

Cheer for the boys and Canada when you can. The little one will dictate your life going forward, especially your sleep. PM me anytime, I'm still figuring it out but new dads news outlets too.

Anyways, back to hockey. Ageed, we need to finalize this roster, we still need a #1 D. I want to say it's Morgan Reilly (assuming Leafs get bounced) but that's a lot to put on the young man, even though he showed #1 upside and has been solid for us before.

Too bad a Doughty, or Petro won't be joining. Our young Mr. McDavid could use a bona fide #1 on the back end to ease the burden.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
I really can't think of Reilly as a #1D

Its wise to note that Morgan Rielly is still only 24 years old and his trajectory is clearly on the up, how many legitimate #1D are there in the NHL at 24 years old? I mean he's currently doing better than Duncan Keith was at the same age and I think that's a relevant comparison.

Just for a comparison of the two at the same ages.

Duncan Keith
2007-08 - 82 GP, 12G, 20A, 32 points
2008-09 - 77 GP, 8G, 36A, 44 points

Morgan Rielly
2016-17 - 76 GP, 6G, 21A, 27 points
2017-18 - 76 GP, 6G, 46A, 52 points

He certainly produced like a #1D this season and he's continued that into the playoffs with 5 points in 6 games.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
It's true. I don't understand not inviting him. Schwartz an Nugent-Hopkins are good LW adds but it would be nice to have first line calibre payers in that spot, especially given that Canada is randomly very strong at LW right now.
Schwartz is just as good if not better than Huberdeau. If Huberdeau is considered a "first line caliber player" then Schwartz is too

Last edited:

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010

he's also put his time in with the national team in the World Championships but gets shafted for the Olympics. I dont blame him.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Schwartz is just as good if not better than Huberdeau. If Huberdeau is considered a "first line caliber player" then Schwartz is too

I meant more along the lines of in the LW spots that weren't filled by Schwartz and Nugent-Hopkins, but I can see that it was worded strangely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad