Team Canada Report Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I knew Vinny would play his way onto the team! He's just too damn good to not be on this team. Put him with someone that has his offensive talent (Thornton, Lemieux) and Tuesday's game wont even be close. ANd to break up that Gagne-Sakic-Iginla line would be absurd. I dont care if Gagne had an off year, he's the perfect fit for Joe Sakic. Lots of skill, can skate like the wind and is responsible defensively. Why people thought Primeau the "7 goals in a season" man was better is beyond me!

Cat Called Bobcat

Dec 3, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
A B for Iginla? I was at the game, and he was absolutely invisible to me. If you go by the logic that he didn't do anything, either positive OR negative, I guess a middle of the road B is appropriate...

I agree with what they said about Marleau. Just bad.

mrush

Jan 4, 2003
Visit site
Big Phil said:
I knew Vinny would play his way onto the team! He's just too damn good to not be on this team. Put him with someone that has his offensive talent (Thornton, Lemieux) and Tuesday's game wont even be close. ANd to break up that Gagne-Sakic-Iginla line would be absurd. I dont care if Gagne had an off year, he's the perfect fit for Joe Sakic. Lots of skill, can skate like the wind and is responsible defensively. Why people thought Primeau the "7 goals in a season" man was better is beyond me!

agreed but i rather have Heatley with vinny and mario instead of Thorton. Thorton can play with richards and st.louis

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Bennysflyers16 said:
Draper was picked to be the checking center, PERIOD ! I, and probably most people don't want Thornton or Vinny as a checker, they are not as good as Draper in that role. There are going to be good players sitting, one of those 2 , I beleive will be the odd center out. One solution would be to put the T'Bay boys together and have Mario ( Did you eat your Chunky Soup ) on wing with Thornton and Heatly!
The T'Bay boys would have a natural chemisrty, combine that with Sakic Olympic line, and that would give us 2 lines that don't need time to feel each other out !
Morrow, Maltby, and Marleau sit !

genious, you just did all my thinking for me! i think these lines would be excellent, with the appropriate players sitting

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
bert said:
Thornton looked disinterested maybe if he plays with those two he will look like he wants to be there a little more.

I was at the game too, Thornton did look disinterested, and slow. Is he still hurt? I know he was still wearing the armour on his pants. At this point, its not a stretch to see him in the press box.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I can't remember a big game where Thornton looked interested...

I'm starting to worry about him :help:

Vic Rattlehead*

dem said:
I can't remember a big game where Thornton looked interested...

I'm starting to worry about him :help:
I guess it was because Thornt's linemates change. He was happy to be with Marleau and Heatley on Monday.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Marleau is a huge upgrade over Gagne he compliments Sakic and Iginla on a smaller ice surface much better. He creates room and gets in on the forcheck better than Gagne. Anyone can look good with Sakic and Iginla. Marleau was more effective than Iginla last night thats for sure. Give these three some time together I think they will dominate. Marleaus combination of size speed strength and skill cannot be brought out of the lineup.

There is no way they can leave Lecavalier out of the lineup after last night, if Thornton is the player not playing up to expectations maybe he should be moved to the wing?

Smyth Lecavalier Heatley sure compliment each other well this line makes alot of sense. I remember a play last night where Lecavalier and Heatley isolated one D man by crossing deking then making a drop pass on a three on two. It was an incredible passing play, Smyth drove the net then Vinny through a cross ice pass over to Brewer who didnt read it properly so it went to far infront of him. The all out instantanious creativity on that play took me out of my seat. Vinny and Heater have some serious chemistry.

After lots of thought I want to see these lines tried out.

Marleau Sakic Iginla
Richards Lemieux St Louis
Smyth Lecavalier Heatley
Draper Thornton Doan

I also want to see
Thornton Lecavalier Heatley see how that works.

Vic Rattlehead*

For the Thornton situation, I was thinking about it, maybe a game in the pressbox could do well for him, to show him that he has to improve his game if he wants to stay in the lineup :dunno:

flamesfever

Jun 30, 2004
Thornton doesn’t very sharp out there, he must not still be 100% or he got started on his training regiment late because of the injury.

Lines I would like to see…
Make one power line…. Iginla-Sakic-St.Louis
Second line Heatley-Lecavlier-Richards
Checking: Maltby-Draper-Doan not sure how the chemistry is here, any comments???
Gagne-Lemieux-Smyth (a little flash and bang).

:yo: Also I have a pair of tickets available for Canada vs. Slovakia face value, email [email protected]. Sec 116 row w. :yo:

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
bert said:
Marleau is a huge upgrade over Gagne he compliments Sakic and Iginla on a smaller ice surface much better. He creates room and gets in on the forcheck better than Gagne. Anyone can look good with Sakic and Iginla. Marleau was more effective than Iginla last night thats for sure. Give these three some time together I think they will dominate. Marleaus combination of size speed strength and skill cannot be brought out of the lineup.

There is no way they can leave Lecavalier out of the lineup after last night, if Thornton is the player not playing up to expectations maybe he should be moved to the wing?

Smyth Lecavalier Heatley sure compliment each other well this line makes alot of sense. I remember a play last night where Lecavalier and Heatley isolated one D man by crossing deking then making a drop pass on a three on two. It was an incredible passing play, Smyth drove the net then Vinny through a cross ice pass over to Brewer who didnt read it properly so it went to far infront of him. The all out instantanious creativity on that play took me out of my seat. Vinny and Heater have some serious chemistry.

Marleau Sakic Iginla
Smyth Lecavalier Heatley
Draper Thornton Doan

I also want to see

Maybe Canada can suit Thornton-Lecavalier-Heatley together for the Slovakia Exhibition Game? Then they could choose between which line worked better for the actual tournament :dunno: . Also, I love those lines, can't really see them going any other way ;)

Last edited:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
bert said:

Marleau Sakic Iginla
Smyth Lecavalier Heatley
Draper Thornton Doan

I also want to see

They were together last night and were invisible, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, Gagne had 26 goals as a checker, if he played in Marleau's role in san Jose, his numbers would be just as good ! If Gagne does not play with Sakic, he will surely play on the checking line.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well I think a little flyers homerism might be coming through here. No offense I would prolbably lean more on a Senator in the same situation. Marleau was the go to guy in San Jose, the best checkers lined up against him every night. He wears the C and doesnt get to play with as good players in San Jose as Gagne does in Philly. I really dont think that Gagne could handle that kindof situation as well as a player like Marleau does.

Gagne is more consistent but Marleau at his best is a better player than Gagne.

Marleau Sakic Iginla were not invisible last night at all imho. Also they were more effective then Gagne Sakic Iginla on monday night. Hopefully the Slovakia game and practice all this week will give us an idea about who fits best. If Gagne does fit back in with Sakic Iginla I definatly wouldnt be upset with a Marleau Thornton Doan line.

Marleau can play a very responsible defensive game, haveing him out there with Thornton and Doan might be a great shut down/power line.

Gagne Sakic Iginla
Smyth Lecavalier Heatley
Marleau Thornton Doan

Morrow Draper Maltby

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
bert said:
Gagne Sakic Iginla
Smyth Lecavalier Heatley
Marleau Thornton Doan

Morrow Draper Maltby

I love these lines :) I think this is what we should ice...

Vic Rattlehead*

s7ark said:
I love these lines :) I think this is what we should ice...
The question is, will Quinn actually do something like that? Methinks not.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
19bruins19 said:
The question is, will Quinn actually do something like that? Methinks not.

I don't think they wil either !!!!!!!!! Otherwise they would not of invited the likes of Morrow, Draper, and Maltby. Draper and Maltby are going to be of use playing the likes of Forsberg, Sundin, and Naslund !!!!!!!! Trust me we don't want 80 pt guys trying to defend vs them. If those Swedes had the choice of playing Maltby and Draper or vs Thornton or Lecavalier, their choice should be obvious !

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
bert said:
Well I think a little flyers homerism might be coming through here. No offense I would prolbably lean more on a Senator in the same situation. Marleau was the go to guy in San Jose, the best checkers lined up against him every night. He wears the C and doesnt get to play with as good players in San Jose as Gagne does in Philly. I really dont think that Gagne could handle that kindof situation as well as a player like Marleau does.

Gagne is more consistent but Marleau at his best is a better player than Gagne.

Marleau Sakic Iginla were not invisible last night at all imho. Also they were more effective then Gagne Sakic Iginla on monday night. Hopefully the Slovakia game and practice all this week will give us an idea about who fits best. If Gagne does fit back in with Sakic Iginla I definatly wouldnt be upset with a Marleau Thornton Doan line.

Marleau can play a very responsible defensive game, haveing him out there with Thornton and Doan might be a great shut down/power line.

Gagne Sakic Iginla
Smyth Lecavalier Heatley
Marleau Thornton Doan

Morrow Draper Maltby

Part Homerism, that is obvious, BUT, 4 of 5 goals in the Gold medal game is not something you dick around with !!!! Every one I know, some of who hate the Flyers, all agree that the Sakic, Iginla , Gagne line was by far Canada's best line at Olympics !! Why would you change it ? :dunno:

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Bennysflyers16 said:
I don't think they wil either !!!!!!!!! Otherwise they would not of invited the likes of Morrow, Draper, and Maltby. Draper and Maltby are going to be of use playing the likes of Forsberg, Sundin, and Naslund !!!!!!!! Trust me we don't want 80 pt guys trying to defend vs them. If those Swedes had the choice of playing Maltby and Draper or vs Thornton or Lecavalier, their choice should be obvious !

stop yelling. :cry:

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
what about the keepers?

for me:

1- Brodeur
2- Theo/Luongo

I really think we will wait for the last game to see who should be the backup.. but how are they going to decide? by talent evaluation or by reputation, Yes Luongo as prime time skills but Theo as proven he can be a clutch player despite not having the greatest teams and already won playoffs on his own.. so i ask you guys what happen with the goalers?

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Crusher20 said:
what about the keepers?

for me:

1- Brodeur
2- Theo/Luongo

I really think we will wait for the last game to see who should be the backup.. but how are they going to decide? by talent evaluation or by reputation, Yes Luongo as prime time skills but Theo as proven he can be a clutch player despite not having the greatest teams and already won playoffs on his own.. so i ask you guys what happen with the goalers?

They can alternate the backup keepers to Brodeur. Make no mistake though, barring a miracle, Brodeur should be in for every minute of every game.

Vic Rattlehead*

mahovlich said:
I don't think it's the injury he suffered before the playoffs, the guy just does'nt seem to have a lot of intensity.He's been like that since he came into the league and once he started to become good.He takes games off all the time.Easily self-satisfied.He's rapidly becoming a player with million dollar skills and a ten cent head.He's an aggravating guy
What he needs to do is:

a) grow up. He can't just have fun anymore, he needs to learn that it's time for him to take the games seriously

b) Swift kick in the ass! That should wake him up

c) A very tough coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->