Team Canada makes big mistake in not tapping Fistric

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I don't really have too much more to say other than what the title does. Team Canada has made a big, big mistake by not asking Fistric of the Dub's Giants to their U-20 team. I was wholey unimpressed with the teams selections. This is just not a very good club, and with better selections, they would be much improved. Alas, I'm not the GM. ;)

mooseOAK*

From what I have read about Fistric he seems better suited to a North American type of game and not International. Big and not mobile enough for the bigger ice surface.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Everyone said Sutter made mistakes last year for not taking certain peoples individual favorites and look how that turned out. Sutter has more hockey knowledge in his thumb than you do in your brain. I'm sure he is sorry for not taking you personal pick.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Jay Thompson said:
I don't really have too much more to say other than what the title does. Team Canada has made a big, big mistake by not asking Fistric of the Dub's Giants to their U-20 team. I was wholey unimpressed with the teams selections. This is just not a very good club, and with better selections, they would be much improved. Alas, I'm not the GM. ;)
Jay, if you were the GM you would be sending team WHL from the Russia/Canada series.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Jay Thompson said:

What a joke, how can you be "unimpressed" this team has some great players on this roster. Not everyone can make the team but its a good team for sure.

Avery4Byng*

I dont think Fistric's style is meant for an International tournament. I think his foot speed would be lacking and also his common sense. Not the brightest of players out there.

Vote for Rory

Nov 13, 2004
I also think not taking Fistric is a mistake, I don't think its as big of a mistake as you seem to, but I do think it is. Fistric is the leader of the Giants, and from a report I watched about a week ago on him, he is one of the best leadership guys in the dub.

There were many other players that could have made this club easily, Evan McGrath and Wojtek Wolski just to name a a couple.

There were many talented defensmen named, and I can't wait to see what they'll do.

Transported Upstater

I certainly regret not tapping Fistric. :biglaugh:

Sorry, I had to... :sarcasm:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Coming into this season, I have to believe he was pencilled in for a spot on the team, and I think he played his way out of that spot. I do still think it was a mistake not to invite him over Schultz, Rogers and Stephenson, but he really just hasn't played as well this season. He isn't as mean, he isn't as punishing, and he looks less dangerous and very unoriginal with the puck. His defensive game is still strong, but he just isn't the dominating presence he has been in the past. I still think he should have had a chance to show what he can do at camp, and I was very surprised to see him not named - he is imo significantly better than Schultz and Rogers - but as long as neither Schultz nor Rogers make the team, I won't be particularly disappointed. Russel and Funk I wouldn't mind, but Schultz and Rogers... blah.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I don't know what Rogers is doing there ... I probably wouldn't have him in the top-10 eligible guys from the WHL alone. I don't know if Fistric is in the top 7 guys in Canada right now, but he's definitely better than some who received invites.

I'm also a big fan of Mike Card and disappointed he didn't get a look ... maybe even moreso than with Fistric. Better player right now than Funk, Schultz, and Rogers, and has tons of big-game, high-pressure experience. Terrific all-around player ... maybe being injured for almost all of November took him out of the running, although he's back now and has 5 points in his last 2 games.

Boondock Saint

Mar 6, 2003
MS said:
I don't know what Rogers is doing there ... I probably wouldn't have him in the top-10 eligible guys from the WHL alone. I don't know if Fistric is in the top 7 guys in Canada right now, but he's definitely better than some who received invites.

Agreed. Fistric might be top 10, but no way does he make my top 6.

Rogers is one guy that I think might not deserve to be there.

Avery4Byng*

Boondock Saint said:
Agreed. Fistric might be top 10, but no way does he make my top 6.

Rogers is one guy that I think might not deserve to be there.
I doubt Rogers will be wearing the colours of Canada come tourney time. I think the final invite must have come down to Fistric-Rogers. They went with Rogers, easy as that. Either way neither guy makes the team IMO.

Quiet Robert

Feb 3, 2005
Jay Thompson said:

Other than Fistric, who else would have invited? To me it's not as if there are any glaring omissions. How can you be unimpressed? This team can't compare with last year's team so obviously it will pale in comparison, but overall it's a good squad.

There aren't really any "better selections" available imo. Although McGrath and Wolski are two big names that maybe should have gotten consideration. Still, I'm not too disapointed they named young kids like Esposito and Toews. Esposito being an 89 and getting named ahead of those 86 guys might look off but in the end I don't think it will make that much of a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->