Team Canada If Named Today Would Include Lindros and Allison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
Lemieux and Yzerman would not be included, however with Politics always rearing it's ugly head it probably won't happen, I doubt very much Gretzky would make the call both Lemieux and Yzerman would have to take their name out of the process. This could happen as both are fine gentleman who I'm sure would ask their name be removed from consideration if they could no longer play at the World Class level. I'm sure all Canadians would endorse both Lindros and Allison being named to the Team at this time. It would only seem appropriate that Canada's team (The Leafs) be represented.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Wow. That's a hell of a big can of gasoline. And you're ballsy enough to light the match as well.

Kudos.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
Lindros I could take. But Allison? Seriously?
As much as I dislike Lemieux, I'd take him over Allison even if he's 25% and Allison is 100%

revolverjgw

Oct 6, 2003
Nova Scotia
Allison, no, no way. Too slow, no need for him there. But Lindros... I've got really mixed feelings with him. He's happy and seemingly quite healthy, and on a good team. I'm expecting a big year out of him and I don't think he'd be out of place in the Olympics. He's been there twice and he's looking great now.

salzy

Mar 3, 2005
Windsor
I've been saying since he signed that Eric would play his way onto the team. However, Allison, at the top of his game and at 100% health got no consideration for Team Canada. But a 4 point effort in a 9-1 win over Atlanta (and their 3rd or 4th goalie) somehow gets him on the squad? Sorry, I don't think so.

Oh, and apparently O'Neill was supposed to get an invite but they LOST HIS NUMBER! :shakehead

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
Lindros? Maybe. He certainly has the calibre to play for Canada, but health is (and always will be, unfortunately) a major concern.

Allison? No.

Also I don't feel Team Canada has an obligation to select Leaf players if there are better players available. The Leafs aren't "Canada's team" anyway... they're Toronto's team. Team Canada is Canada's team.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Spezza and Heatley are both trying to make their cases.

I think Lindros is a definate possibility if he can stay healthy. Allsion, I don't think so.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
salzy said:
I've been saying since he signed that Eric would play his way onto the team. However, Allison, at the top of his game and at 100% health got no consideration for Team Canada. But a 4 point effort in a 9-1 win over Atlanta (and their 3rd or 4th goalie) somehow gets him on the squad? Sorry, I don't think so.

Oh, and apparently O'Neill was supposed to get an invite but they LOST HIS NUMBER! :shakehead

I believe Allison was hurt with a wrist injury last time for Olympic considerations. He wouldn't have been considered for Nagano, as he was just breaking out really back then. I could be wrong on both points though..... :dunno:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
What a joke of a thread...

Are we going to make Team Canada lineups after EVERY week of the regular season, leading up to Turin?

What about FORMER LEAF Steve Sullivan, who was only the offensive player of the week??? What about Sid the Kid, who only has 9 points in his first 6 NHL games. Basically, every fan of every NHL team could probably make a strong argument about one of their own players making one of the big seven nations represented at the Winter Olympics.

:shakehead

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
417 TO MTL said:
I'll let someone else handle this one...

Allison if 100% healthy at the age of 30 is almost unstoppable, most fans have forgotten how good this guy was and could be, I'd say he's about 70% of what he can be at this time, another 25 games under his belt the skies the limit. I remember when he represented Canada at the WJHC and he was Dominant, It appears nothing has changed.

Pappy

Dec 14, 2004
SensGuy said:
Spezza and Heatley are both trying to make their cases.

I think Lindros is a definate possibility if he can stay healthy. Allsion, I don't think so.

I'm sure Heatley is a Lock for the team, Spezza his overall game and maturity at this time might go against him, might not be quite ready for prime time.

Ismellofhockey

Mar 31, 2002
Visit site
Pappy said:
Lemieux and Yzerman would not be included, however with Politics always rearing it's ugly head it probably won't happen, I doubt very much Gretzky would make the call both Lemieux and Yzerman would have to take their name out of the process. This could happen as both are fine gentleman who I'm sure would ask their name be removed from consideration if they could no longer play at the World Class level. I'm sure all Canadians would endorse both Lindros and Allison being named to the Team at this time. It would only seem appropriate that Canada's team (The Leafs) be represented.

Yeah...politics...right...

But "Canada's team" MUST be represented! get Lindros and Allison in there at all costs, politics begone!
What place do living legends have on Team Canada anyway?

And who can forget the day Lindros showed his love for this country by requesting a trade from the city he was just drafted in, aaaah sweet patriotic moments like those make your heart all warm and fuzzy.

Quick! Get Savard and Sullivan in too before their streak runs cold! The time is NOW, NOW! I tell you!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Sorry, you lost me as soon as you proclaimed the Leafs as Canada's team.

And it's far too early to be deciding who makes the team and who doesn't.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Pappy said:
Allison if 100% healthy at the age of 30 is almost unstoppable, most fans have forgotten how good this guy was and could be, I'd say he's about 70% of what he can be at this time, another 25 games under his belt the skies the limit. I remember when he represented Canada at the WJHC and he was Dominant, It appears nothing has changed.

I'm sorry, I've watched most of the Leafs games this year, and I don't share in the enthusiasm you have about Allison and Lindros...

They've both been average IMO (Lindros has shown more IMO)...they've looked great on the PP...but invisble and quite ordinary at times at even strength (especially Allison)...

6 of Allison's 8 pts have come on the PP, and he's a -2 or -3...Lindros at times has showed all he can do, but for the most part has been in the right place at the right time to score goals, timely one's I agree and he deserves credit for that...but that doesn't mean either of them have been unstoppable, not even close

I can name you alot of has beens who've been great at the WJHC's and haven't done squat in the NHL, what Allison did at the WJC's more than a decade ago, has no bearing on his place with the Canadian team for 2006...

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Way too early to start speculating this... you might aswell throw Steve Sullivan and Marc Savard's name in there.

Impossibles

May 14, 2003
Langley, BC
Visit site
Replace 'Team Canada' with 'Eastern Conference All-Star Team' and this thread makes a little more sense.

Team Canada won't be decided on who has how many points 6 games into the season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well clearly pappy you dont have a big issue with haveing leadership.

I agree that right now if I was picking team Canada Lindros would be on the team he has been very good. McCabe would be on the team too, I would have to say no to Allison and Oneil. But like many posters have said it is very early.

Oh yeah as a Sens fan I do not want to see Spezza on team Canada he still doesnt work nearly hard enough. He makes lazy plays and lazy passes. Redden and Heatley would be shoe ins though.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
and if the season ended today, Mikael Samuelson would be the Wings leading goal scorer.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
fisher said:
Lindros? Maybe. He certainly has the calibre to play for Canada, but health is (and always will be, unfortunately) a major concern.

Allison? No.

Also I don't feel Team Canada has an obligation to select Leaf players if there are better players available. The Leafs aren't "Canada's team" anyway... they're Toronto's team. Team Canada is Canada's team.

Exactly

My Leafs are NOT Canada's team, the only team that makes all Fans in this nation jump up and scream "YES!" when they score is Team Canada.

as far as I'm concerned I think Lindros could make it, but looking at the tallent at forward for Canada I doubt he makes it even if Lemiux and Yzerman declined to go.

as a Leaf fan I'd rather Lindros stay at home anyways, I don't want to see him get hurt.

McCabe is probably our best chance and I don't think he'll make it unless we see some injuries or he absolutly proves to Team Canada brass that he deserves to be there.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Impossibles said:
Replace 'Team Canada' with 'Eastern Conference All-Star Team' and this thread makes a little more sense.

Team Canada won't be decided on who has how many points 6 games into the season.
I hope the original poster reads this post right here. And, I am a Canadian and in NO WAY, after 6 games, do I have Lindros or Allison on my list.

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
Mackattack said:
Way too early to start speculating this... you might aswell throw Steve Sullivan and Marc Savard's name in there.

I was about to say the same thing, except, throw in Eric Staal, Patrick Marleau and PM Bouchard as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad