team canada at worlds

west in the east

Sep 19, 2005
Vancouver
whitesnake said:
Auld better than Garon??? Garon seemed to have a tough year this year but when you looked at those Kings game threads, it didn't seem as he was the one responsible....

Yes, Auld better than Garon. He was a main reason why the canucks had a chance to make the playoffs

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
west in the east said:
Yes, Auld better than Garon. He was a main reason why the canucks had a chance to make the playoffs

Well considering that Vancouver only finished 3 points ahead of LA......you could make the same argument about Garon being the main reason why the Kings had a chance to make the playoffs. :teach:

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Rabid Ranger said:
Here's an updated roster:http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/0/1/6/2/index1.shtml

Hartnell, Hamhuis, and Robidas have been added.
Thanks Rabid. Good to see Hamhuis and Hartnell going. This will be an excellent experience for both. Hamhuis has a lot of potential and could be a third pairing defenceman for Canada at future best-on-best tournaments. Hopefully he'll go in there with a lot to prove, instead of viewing this tournament as a consolation prize. Hartnell's an excellent leader, and on a team without a lot of leadership, he could be a candidate to wear a letter. He's a guy who could be a fourth liner for Canada at future tournaments. Robidas will make a nice third pairing/7th defenceman.

Still, the pickings are slim, and the tournament starts in just a few days. Not surprisingly, the Olympics has made it difficult to recruit NHLers. They still only have 11 forwards. I'm expecting a few more Canadians playing in Europe will be added, which, as I stated before, isn't a bad thing. I don't expect any of the juniors playing for us in exhibition games will be added, but it will be a good experience for them. With only 11 forwards, Latendresse might get more ice time in the tune-up games than in the WJC.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
God Bless Canada said:
Thanks Rabid. Good to see Hamhuis and Hartnell going. This will be an excellent experience for both. Hamhuis has a lot of potential and could be a third pairing defenceman for Canada at future best-on-best tournaments. Hopefully he'll go in there with a lot to prove, instead of viewing this tournament as a consolation prize. Hartnell's an excellent leader, and on a team without a lot of leadership, he could be a candidate to wear a letter. He's a guy who could be a fourth liner for Canada at future tournaments. Robidas will make a nice third pairing/7th defenceman.

Still, the pickings are slim, and the tournament starts in just a few days. Not surprisingly, the Olympics has made it difficult to recruit NHLers. They still only have 11 forwards. I'm expecting a few more Canadians playing in Europe will be added, which, as I stated before, isn't a bad thing. I don't expect any of the juniors playing for us in exhibition games will be added, but it will be a good experience for them. With only 11 forwards, Latendresse might get more ice time in the tune-up games than in the WJC.

I agree that the pickings (for star players) are slim, but I think it will be neat for teams like Canada and the U.S. to feature squads that are made up mostly of up and coming young players. There should be a lot of energy and enthusiasm along with a fair amount of skill.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
Spongebob said:
Well considering that Vancouver only finished 3 points ahead of LA......you could make the same argument about Garon being the main reason why the Kings had a chance to make the playoffs. :teach:

Garon: 63 GP, 3.22 GAA, .894 Sv%
Auld: 67 GP, 2.94 GAA, .902 Sv%

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Justin Pogge is with Team Canada currently filling in whenever they need him. He won't make the team, but that's nice that they've allowed him to join for the time being.

12# Peter Bondra

Apr 15, 2004
Burke's Evil Spirit said:
Question - Do any of those junior players named (Pogge, Letang, etc) have a chance at playing? That would be interesting.
No.

Mentioned in the TSN article.

jacketracket*

illogic said:
The fact that anyone could seriously believe that Rick Nash is inferior to Kyle Calder and Mike Comrie makes me shudder.
Personally, I've always been a proponent of forced sterilization, in cases like this ...

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I think you can pencil Richards and Carter into the lineup now. Maybe Gagne, but with his appearance in the Olympics he may opt not to go.

btn

Gone Hollywood
Feb 27, 2002
ATL
Visit site
Did Savard decline an invitation? I assume he would want to avoid injury right before becoming a UFA, but you figure they would at least ask him if he wanted to play.

espo*

Le Golie said:
I think you can pencil Richards and Carter into the lineup now. Maybe Gagne, but with his appearance in the Olympics he may opt not to go.
Those three guys would be real nice to have onboard.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
cyclops said:
Those three guys would be real nice to have onboard.

This team is going to look similar to the '05 WJHC team. Very, very young and inexperienced - even for a World Championship where Canada usually sends the young guys. But if they get rolling, they are skilled enough to do some damage.

If the Flames get eliminated tonight, I'm sure Phaneuf will be playing. If the Ducks get bounced, maybe Getzlaf and Perry - among others....

espo*

Le Golie said:
This team is going to look similar to the '05 WJHC team. Very, very young and inexperienced - even for a World Championship where Canada usually sends the young guys. But if they get rolling, they are skilled enough to do some damage.

If the Flames get eliminated tonight, I'm sure Phaneuf will be playing. If the Ducks get bounced, maybe Getzlaf and Perry - among others....
Definately could do some damage if they get in synche.I'm worried if they are going to call the game"hyper NHL style" that's what it seemed to be to me last olympics and that does'nt suit us.The nhl is bad enough,it was even more stated at the games.

they'll have to adjust to that,they did'nt at the olympics.Good coaching will be key and i'm not sure Habscheid was the right choice myself.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
cyclops said:
Definately could do some damage if they get in synche.I'm worried if they are going to call the game"hyper NHL style" that's what it seemed to be to me last olympics and that does'nt suit us.The nhl is bad enough,it was even more stated at the games.

they'll have to adjust to that,they did'nt at the olympics.Good coaching will be key and i'm not sure Habscheid was the right choice myself.

The Olympic team was old and stale. This team will be young and energetic. That should be enough of a difference to make the games exciting. I don't think we'll go very far, but the hockey should be great to watch.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
To clear up the Nash situation and exactly why a recent Rocket Richard trophy winner, the goal leader at the last World Championships and the guy who averaged a point per game in the most recent NHL season is not on Team Canada:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/blu...tory=dispatch/2006/04/30/20060430-G10-01.html

I’ll sit back and await wildone’s conspiracy theory about how the injury is a cover for not being invited.

illogic

Apr 12, 2005
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe said:
To clear up the Nash situation and exactly why a recent Rocket Richard trophy winner, the goal leader at the last World Championships and the guy who averaged a point per game in the most recent NHL season is not on Team Canada:

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/bluejackets/bluejackets.php?story=dispatch/2006/04/30/20060430-G10-01.html

I’ll sit back and await wildone’s conspiracy theory about how the injury is a cover for not being invited.

Or that Team Canada officials "encouraged him" to sit out because of his injuries.

:biglaugh:

sk84fun_dc

Nov 4, 2004
Le Golie said:

If the Ducks lose tonight, Getzlaf and Perry will join the Portland Pirates for the AHL playoffs as both were on the Pirates clear day roster.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
Le Golie said:

It would be exciting to see how the youngsters do at Worlds if invited. Both have excellled at the international level..and it would be interesting to see if they could do that again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->