team canada at worlds

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
Kritty said:
Every year there are surprises of guys left off, choosing not to go, or being added. My best guess:

Goalies:
Roberto Luongo
Alex Auld
Manny Fernandez

Defence:
Jay Bouwmeester
Ed Jovanovski
Adam Foote
Bryan McCabe
Steve McCarthy
Brad Stuart
Brent Seabrook
Derek Morris

Forwards:
Todd Bertuzzi
Brenden Morrison
Anson Carter
Sidney Crosby
Patrice Bergeron
Brad Boyes
Nathan Horton
Marc Savard
Rick Nash
Kyle Calder
Mike Cammalleri
Wes Walz
Pierre-Marc Bouchard
Shane Doan
Why is Todd Bertuzzi on the list?

espo*

God Bless Canada said:
Auld faded down the stretch. Seemed to be tired. Hopefully a Fernandez or a Luongo will commit to this team. I like Auld, I like Denis. But they aren't the types who will win you a World title.

A good start up front. Crosby is coming off one of the best rookie seasons in NHL history and wants to prove he can shine at this level of international play. He might lead the tournament in scoring. Bergeron has a WJC gold medal and a World Championship gold medal. He and Crosby have shone together before at the WJCs. Calder's a strong addition for the third or fourth line. He has won before. I have concerns about Boyes' skating on the big ice surface, but he boasts elite puck sense. Hopefully Comrie decides to play to his potential. One player who I really want to see added is Anson Carter. Three gold medals for his country. (1994 WJC, 1997 and 2003 WCs). He was, for my money, our best player in our surprise win at the 1997 Worlds, and he scored the tournament-winning goal in 2003. He's a completely different player whenever he plays for his country.

Nash and Bouwmeester would make excellent additions. J-Bouw has really got his game on track since the Olympics, and not many players were named top defenceman at the Worlds before their 20th birthday. Nash was a tournament all-star at last year's Worlds. Schultz and Stuart would both be good additions to the blue line. Schultz, in particular, has always elevated his play for Canada. Any word on Eric Brewer?

There's no bloody way Rick Nash is behind Mike Comrie on our depth chart. Period. Think about it for two seconds. There's a very common sense reason for this. Nash played for Canada at the Olympics. Very few players who played at the Olympics will play at the Worlds, because of the rigours of the long NHL season and the Olys. Very, very few players played at both the Olys and the Worlds in 1998 and 2002. Nash was not impressive at the Olys, but he was an all-star at the Worlds last year. He's battled injuries all year, too. Canada probably didn't think he'd be made available for this tournament. If he's available, he'll be there, and he'll be Crosby's first line left winger. Could it be that the Columbus paper had their facts wrong? The story also doesn't mention how many players were in the first round of invites.

Some posters need to learn to give credit where it is due.
Good call on carter i think.He just seems to be our good luck charm when he plays internationally for us.

SubCrid TC

Aug 26, 2004
Canuck21t said:
Why is Todd Bertuzzi on the list?

Because he's the first or second highest scoring non-playoff right wing that Canada has, depending on where you play Bergeron? He was tied for second (with half the team) in points at the Olympics for Canada. He also played fairly well for Vancouver down the stretch with 16 points in his last 15 games.

You may not like him and he may or may not end up playing for Canada at this tournament, but you really have to give an actual reason. It's not something that's anywhere near being out of the question.

Also, Jovo's agent has said that he won't be going. He came back from injury too soon to try and help the Canucks make the playoffs, and he needs to take time off to finish healing.

It looks like Canada is going for a young team, which is nice. The older guys already had the Olympics.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
I would expect someone of Bertuzzi's ilk would decline but I will pat him on the back if he goes and then actually plays some hockey rather than treating it as a nice Latvian vacation. If you are basing it on his season though he really does not deserve an invite. I suppose an invite for Morrison based on performance is not great either. he may wish to make up for his bad season by playing well in Latvia.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
cyclops said:
Good call on carter i think.He just seems to be our good luck charm when he plays internationally for us.
Carter already said that he's been playing with a shoulder injury. He's declined to go so that he can let it heal properly before training for next season in July.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
v-man said:
Carter already said that he's been playing with a shoulder injury. He's declined to go so that he can let it heal properly before training for next season in July.
Damn. I was hoping he would be selected. Would have been nice to see him get that third World Championship. For whatever reason, he is one of those guys who is a completely different player when he plays for Canada.

espo*

v-man said:
Too bad.He always plays well and our teams seem to win when he's involved.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Hello my ignorant "NHL only" hockey friends... :help:

http://www.hockeyweb.de/index.php?action=ART&aNr=20440 :amazed:

"DEL-Playoff-MVP Derrick Walser und Top-Verteidiger Micki DuPont erhielten Einladungen des kanadischen Eishockeyverbandes, in Riga im Trikot mit dem Ahornblatt auf der Brust aufzulaufen." :bow:
("DEL-Playoff-MVP Derrick Walser and Top-Defender Micki DuPont have received invitations from the canadian icehockey federation to skate in riga wearing the jersey with the maple leaf on their chest.")

So you got at least two good players on your team for a change. :D

Last edited:

Remax

Sep 24, 2003
Canada
Force said:

"DEL-Playoff-MVP Derrick Walser und Top-Verteidiger Micki DuPont erhielten Einladungen des kanadischen Eishockeyverbandes, in Riga im Trikot mit dem Ahornblatt auf der Brust aufzulaufen." :bow:
("DEL-Playoff-MVP Derrick Walser and Top-Defender Micki DuPont have received invitations from the canadian icehockey federation to skate in riga wearing the jersey with the maple leaf on their chest.")

You're the ignorant one here. No one ever said that there wasn't going to be any players on team Canada that don't play in the NHL, and no one said that if a player doesn't play in the NHL then they aren't good. It would have be much better received if you had just posted the link and the translation.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
Force said:

Walser has a top flight skill set. Will be interesting to see how much ice he gets.

hockeyGod

Mar 20, 2002
Visit site
Quick question...Where are the Canadian team practicing. Are they in Calgary again and what are the dates for their practices?

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Force said:

That's good news. I said during the Olympics that if the NHL continues to send players to the Olys beyond 2010, that Canada should look at having two or three players who play in Europe. (Wouldn't make much sense to fly them from Europe to North America for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver).

We've had good success at the Worlds before with players who play in Europe. Dean Evanson was fantastic when Canada won a surprise gold medal in 1997. Jamie Heward was excellent on the blue-line in 2003, when Canada won gold again. His play in that tournament nearly earned him a return trip to the NHL the following year. Players who have spent the year in Europe don't have to worry about jet lag or adjustments to the international ice and rules.

I don't know much about Walser, other than he had one big year in junior playing with Lecavalier and Richards. I'm guessing he's more of an offensive defenceman. I believe DuPont had a few cups of coffee with the Calgary Flames.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
At Training Camp

Goal: Alex Auld, Marc Denis, Justin Pogge
Defence: Nick Schultz, Brad Stuart, Derrick Walser, Micki Dupont, Kris Letang
Forwards: Patrice Bergeron, Brad Boyes, Kyle Calder, Mike Comrie, Sidney Crosby, Glen Metroplit, Stacy Roest, Michael Blunden, Kyle Chipchura, Guillaume Latendresse

Flip

Apr 9, 2006
Helsinki
Hedberg said:
At Training Camp

Goal: Alex Auld, Marc Denis, Justin Pogge
Defence: Nick Schultz, Brad Stuart, Derrick Walser, Micki Dupont, Kris Letang
Forwards: Patrice Bergeron, Brad Boyes, Kyle Calder, Mike Comrie, Sidney Crosby, Glen Metroplit, Stacy Roest, Michael Blunden, Kyle Chipchura, Guillaume Latendresse

I really hope that Metropolit makes the team. :yo: That guy is just amazing I'll never forget those two seasons when he played with Jokerit Helsinki. Show them all Glen and make the team! :bow:

Ross_SLO

May 16, 2005
quote from TSN

The nine players already on the roster are in Minsk, Belarus, for a training camp and will play an exhibition game against that country before travelling to Riga.

Hockey Canada is also taking along four European-based Canadian players and five members of the gold-medal winning 2006 world junior team - Guillaume Latendresse, Kyle Chipchura, Michael Blunden, Kris Letang and Justin Pogge - to fill out the roster for the exhibition game against Belarus.

Those players will not participate in the world tournament.

Forever27

Aug 20, 2005
wildone26 said:
I would rather see them start Auld then Denis. Auld was very good this year for Vancouver.

So... Alex Auld seems like a sensible choice to you but Rick Nash doesn't? I'm a Canucks fan and I find that nuts.

Oh, and Columbus forward Rick Nash and Florida defenceman Jay Bouwmeester have been invited to play and have indicated they are interested, but both are seeing their respective team doctors to assess some injury situations and decide whether it's in their best interests to play at the World Championship.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Any word on if the Tampa boys will be joining team Canada?We could have a pretty good team here.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Auld better than Garon??? Garon seemed to have a tough year this year but when you looked at those Kings game threads, it didn't seem as he was the one responsible....

ShadowFax

Mar 10, 2004
They better leave Crosby at center. If he is going to play with Bergeron have him go to wing. Crosby is so much better at center than at wing.

What other players do you think they are waiting on from the playoffs? There seems to be a lot of holes that need to be filled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad