Team Canada at the IIHF U18 in April - leading prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
SPORTSMANIAC said:
Lewiston could make the 2nd round of the playoffs hopefully that is the only reason he is left off. When is this tourny mid or late April. I agree with u on the Top Prospects game...Jon lead this group of guys (U18) to the Junior World Cup Gold last August. l

Lewiston plays Halifax in the 1st round.

If Halifax wins, the U18 team could get Bernier and maybe Stephane Chaput.

If Lewiston wins, they could get Ryan Hillier and Andrew Bodnarchuk.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Anybody got a roster for Team USA???

Would a guy like Mueller be added to the Team USA roster if the Everett Silveritps are knocked out of the WHL playoffs in the 1st round? Zach Hamill would be a guarantee for Canada if Everett is knocked out.

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
One of the most impressive feats of Tavares is that he had the most goals at even strenght in the OHL with 32. All of that at the tender age of 15! :amazed:

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
slumpy43 said:
One of the most impressive feats of Tavares is that he had the most goals at even strenght in the OHL with 32. All of that at the tender age of 15! :amazed:

I guess the question is; would you name him to the team even though he will basically be 2 yrs younger than everyone else? And this will be against the top '88's in the world.

Should Tavares be on the team?

Transported Upstater

HabLover said:
I guess the question is; would you name him to the team even though he will basically be 2 yrs younger than everyone else? And this will be against the top '88's in the world.

Should Tavares be on the team?

It may be a moot point though, because as you said yourself, Canada tends to use this tournament for 18-year olds.

Is he good enough? Why not? It may not be in the best taste to put Tavares in there over an older kid, but talent-wise, this kid is really something special.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
TransportedUpstater said:
It may be a moot point though, because as you said yourself, Canada tends to use this tournament for 18-year olds.

Is he good enough? Why not? It may not be in the best taste to put Tavares in there over an older kid, but talent-wise, this kid is really something special.

Very true, I think next year could be a different story if Oshawa was to miss the playoffs or be knocked out in the 1st round, as he would only be a year younger than everyone else.

But as you said, Canada tends to stick with 18 yr olds(1988's this year) at both this tourney and the summer Junior World Cup, basically giving many more players a chance to get international experience. There are a bunch of 88's that are good enough to play in this tourney, so I guess there is no need to rush Tavares too quickly. I would bet he will be at summer camp with the 1989's for the Junior World Cup in August.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Toews and the Sioux are headed to the Frozen Four in two weeks..

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
USA! said:
Toews and the Sioux are headed to the Frozen Four in two weeks..
Toews was also named the Most Outstanding Player at the West Regional. 5 points in 2 games.

Dream Big

Jun 10, 2005
Axis Mundi
Tournament is kind of meaningless

At least for Canada. When you think that 50 % of the Canadian players and some of the US ie: Mueller, are unavailable to play due to still being in the playoffs. Canada is sending the B team.

Perhaps someone should start another tournament that would truly reflect best vs the best at the U-18 level?

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
Some guys who I would think have a decent chance from the WHL, in some cases depending on how their club teams' playoffs go (* indicates I think they're unlikely to be available, + indicates they are in the playoffs but stand a decent chance of being eliminated 1st round):

Forwards
Hamill*
Calla*
White*
Maxwell+
Fadden+
Lucic*
Machacek*

Defense
Wishart+
Ellerby
Bartley
Pyett+
Alzner*
Ellington*
McCue

Goal
Irving*
Armstrong

Looking at that there probably isn't enough guys on there since many (possibly most) of them will be unavailable.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Greg7 said:
Some guys who I would think have a decent chance from the WHL, in some cases depending on how their club teams' playoffs go (* indicates I think they're unlikely to be available, + indicates they are in the playoffs but stand a decent chance of being eliminated 1st round):

Forwards
Hamill*
Calla*
White*
Maxwell+
Fadden+
Lucic*
Machacek*

Defense
Wishart+
Ellerby
Bartley
Pyett+
Alzner*
Ellington*
McCue

Goal
Irving*
Armstrong

Looking at that there probably isn't enough guys on there since many (possibly most) of them will be unavailable.

Milan Lucic does not have any chance at all of being named to Team Canada for the U18 tournament, even if the Giants are eliminated.

Hamill, Calla, White, Maxwell and Irving are no brainers if they are available. Tri-Cities and Everett are currently tied 1-1 so we can only hope Carey Price and the Americans pull of an upset here. Mitch Fadden should also be worthy of a spot if available, but there are a bunch of guys out east who had good years and could grab a spot if available. On D, Ellerby should be named as he played last summer at the Junior World Cup. If their teams are eliminated, Alzner, Wishart and Pyett should have the inside track on spots as they also played last summer for Canada's gold medal team.

A few other guys from out west that you missed who may have a shot are Justin McCrae, who played last summer for Canada, Justin Bernhardt from the Regina Pats who put up pretty good numbers and goaltender James Reimer from the Red Deer Rebels. There are a ton of guys from the OHL and the Q who could or should represent Canada, but it will all depend on who is available and who isn't by the end of next week.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
HabLover said:
When is the Frozen Four finished?

Team Canada will probably be naming their team around April 7th or 8th. Could Toews be done by then?
The Frozen four champioinship is April 8.

kingpin_19

Jan 5, 2005
Drumheller, AB
From the WHL-Mitch Fadden, Ben Maxwell and Ty Wishart. The Pat's have their back to the wall, so Logan Pyett may very well be joining them Tuesday. Added to the cast of Jordan Knackstedt, Keaton Ellerby, Victor Bartley and Kevin Armstrong. This is just a quick overview.

Last edited:

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
HabLover said:
From the teams eliminated so far, Toronto, Sault St. Marie, Saginaw, Bai-Comeau and Swift Current are there any front runners to be named?
Okay, who was the ******* who included Azavedo on the list?

Yeah, Kitchener is eliminated, so he's eligible.....

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Team Canada usually has a policy that if a player has played at the WJC, then they do not play in the U-18s again, as they have graduated beyond that program. Toews wouldn't likely be on the team if he was available for this reason.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
kingpin_19 said:
From the WHL-Mitch Fadden, Ben Maxwell and Ty Wishart. The Pat's have their back to the wall, so Logan Pyett may very well be joining them Tuesday. Added to the cast of Jordan Knackstedt, Keaton Ellerby, Victor Bartley and Kevin Armstrong. This is just a quick overview.

This would be my team;

Forwards

Ben Maxwell
Mitch Fadden
Justin Bernhardt
Ryan McDonough
John Hughes
Matt Beleskey
Cory Emmerton
Jamie McGinn
Justin Azevedo
Ryan McDonough
Stefan Chaput
Francois Bouchard

Defence

Ty Wishart
Keaton Ellerby
Logan Pyett
Ben Shutron
Matt Corrente
James DeLory
Jason Legault

Goalies

Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer

A couple of question marks at this point are Pyett and Bernhardt, as their team could still win their playoff series. I do not think Hockey Canada will name Jonathan Toews to the team even if he comes available. The same goes for John Tavares, I don't think he will be named, rather let him play at the Junior World Cup in August with all the '89's. Claude Giroux should be named if Gatineau loses tomorrow night. John Armstrong will be named if Plymouth loses.

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site
HabLover said:
This would be my team;

Forwards

Ben Maxwell
Mitch Fadden
Justin Bernhardt
Ryan McDonough
John Hughes
Matt Beleskey
Cory Emmerton
Jamie McGinn
Justin Azevedo
Ryan McDonough
Stefan Chaput
Francois Bouchard

Defence

Ty Wishart
Keaton Ellerby
Logan Pyett
Ben Shutron
Matt Corrente
James DeLory
Jason Legault

Goalies

Jonathan Bernier
James Reimer

A couple of question marks at this point are Pyett and Bernhardt, as their team could still win their playoff series. I do not think Hockey Canada will name Jonathan Toews to the team even if he comes available. The same goes for John Tavares, I don't think he will be named, rather let him play at the Junior World Cup in August with all the '89's. Claude Giroux should be named if Gatineau loses tomorrow night. John Armstrong will be named if Plymouth loses.

Tavares is going. Toews could be added to the roster even if he joins the team in Sweden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->