OT: Team Canada Announces Olympic Roster (Many Former Oiler Greats)

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Anybody knows Russia's Roster?

Kovalchuck - Datsyuk - Shirokov
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kagarlitsky
Kaprizov - Khokhlachev - Shalunov
Tkachyov - Tkachyov - Shumakov
Plotnikov, Mozyakin

Markov - Medvedev
Tryamkin - Voynov
Nesterov - Marchenko

Sorokin
Koshechkin
Shesterkin

should be the favourites to win it forsure

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Kovalchuck - Datsyuk - Shirokov
Gusev - Shipachyov - Kagarlitsky
Kaprizov - Khokhlachev - Shalunov
Tkachyov - Tkachyov - Shumakov
Plotnikov, Mozyakin

Markov - Medvedev
Tryamkin - Voynov
Nesterov - Marchenko

Sorokin
Koshechkin
Shesterkin

should be the favourites to win it forsure

I am more interested in this year than many before.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

cpsman

Aug 18, 2010
So I hate to do this, but does this add to the evidence that this Oilers organization just cannot evaluate / develop talent? A lot of these players are former Oilers and not in the NHL.

Several players just never developed properly to make it to the NHL level as consistent role players / secondary scorers (Omark, Lander, Thoreson, Arcobello, Hartikainen)
Others were acquired later in their years to fill in roles at the end of their careers that perhaps they couldn't live up to? (Roy, Klinkhammer, Scrivens) ... actually I guess Roy was pretty good with Yakupov while he was here...

Regardless.. it kind of just reinforces to me how poor this organization is at recognizing / developing talent.

That being said, I hope all of these players have a good time and cherish playing for their respective countries. It's quite an opportunity.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Two places still open on SWE roster, one goes to Robert 'lill magic' Nilsson if he is healthy.

I watched the Olympics before NHL players joined last time and it was great. Obviously it was even better with NHL players but I don't see why one cannot enjoy some good hockey.

Reactions: LemmyUlanov55

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
I think it will be an interesting tournament. Underdog Canada beating Russia would be a huge deal. I'll watch all of Canada's games.

Didn't Ovechkin make a big deal about the Olympics and wanting to go? Is he still going over or did he back off from the idea?

NHLers are simply not allowed to play in them.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I guess I'm in the minority but the fact that NHL players weren't going just made me all the more interested in it.

I don't know. The idea of this random "ragtag" group playing for the gold really appeals to me. Will watch.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
eh, i dont mind this misfit toys team. we are probably going yo get spanked though
It’s really tough to handicap any of the teams in the tournament. As was pointed out by Oiler 72, at least it’s not a bunch of kids playing the Soviet Red Army Team. I think the tournament will be competitive and if people can stop pouting about NHL players not being there I think it could be enjoyable to watch. I thought the 2014 Olympic Tournament was boring as hell to watch. Canada was so good defensively that the games were pretty much over as soon as the first goal was scored. That was great for national pride but it didn’t do much for exciting hockey.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
I watched the Olympics before NHL players joined last time and it was great. Obviously it was even better with NHL players but I don't see why one cannot enjoy some good hockey.
Same here. Not that Drai, Rieder & Greiss wouldn't be huge for Germany, but I really look forward to the Olympics without NHL players.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yup

Also KHL players being allowed to participate is still up in the air.

This means 17 Canadians listed on the roster will be pulled from the Olympics.

Isn't this old news??
Last I heard, weeks ago when there was discussion about KHL players, was that every stake holder concerned confirmed that KHL players would be allowed to go.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Ovechkin backed off when his contract and money owed was at stake. He could have retired from the NHL and went, and decided not to.
I guess you could put it that way, in other words Russia was stopped from even inviting him under threat of sanctions/exclusion unless he decided to end his NA career and left the team he has spent most of his adult career captaining.

I say tomato, you say tomatoe I guess. I have a hard time calling it about the money, but to each his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->