Olympics: Canada Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
agreed.

The World Cup was not ridiculous. It was a bit hokey, but at the end of the day it was a best-on-best tournament.

Carter bleeping Ashton??? My God.

The NHL dropped the ball on this one, and the players should have supported Ovechkin way, way more than they did.

Bot the players and NHL loused it up big time, shame.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
You can see how much Canadian fans care about olympic hockey this go around just by this thread. Have not even filled up a page where with NHL players this would be a mile long already.

It just doesn't matter anymore does it?

What a joke that tournament is going to be no matter how many European fans will try to tell us differently.

You think the world cup was ridiculous? Wait till we get a load of the **** coming with this stinker.

And I thought last year's "world cup" was a fiasco. It really seems as though the NHL and IOC are on a quest to turn international hockey into a complete joke.

Can you imagine soccer having the Euro Cup include a team of players whose nations didn't qualify, another team of under-24s (robbing national teams of the talent), and then having the various leagues back out of the FIFA World Cup and turning that event into a worthless collection of no-names?

No serious sport would allow that.

Reactions: jj cale

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
PA Parenteau got released from his PTO by the Wings, what chance he's on the team?

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Brooks Laich is another name we should throw in.

Anyone know if Chris Lee made the team out of LA camp, speaking of the Kings? If not, he's a lock for Team Canada.

This is not gonna be an exciting lineup in any case.

Edit: Just saw he was cut from the Kings. Too bad for him, but good news for Canada. He's gonna slot in the top 6 easily.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
One thing is for certain. I won't be watching a single Team Canada game at the Olympics. It will just be too depressing.
Not even sure if I will watch any games at all.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
One thing is for certain. I won't be watching a single Team Canada game at the Olympics. It will just be too depressing.
Not even sure if I will watch any games at all.

Not that the IOC cares as long as they have nations willing to meet their exhorbibent demands, but I won't be watching either. It remains sad that the IOC decided to change the terms of a working relationship and cost us the chance to watch Crosby and McDavid on the same team.

Canuckistani

Mar 15, 2014
Toronto
Not that the IOC cares as long as they have nations willing to meet their exhorbibent demands, but I won't be watching either. It remains sad that the IOC decided to change the terms of a working relationship and cost us the chance to watch Crosby and McDavid on the same team.

The IOC deserves as much blame for this as the NHL, and by the looks of it they will pay a very steep price. Hockey fans will not tolerate a garbage product after what we've had since 1998, and I suspect ratings and sponsorship will suffer accordingly.

Also they've had the bad luck of Trump vs North Korea threatening to turn the Korean peninsula into a firestorm, which is obviously having an adverse affect on ticket sales.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
The IOC deserves as much blame for this as the NHL, and by the looks of it they will pay a very steep price. Hockey fans will not tolerate a garbage product after what we've had since 1998, and I suspect ratings and sponsorship will suffer accordingly.

I doubt that the IOC cares a lot. The ratings are probably not going to be all that different outside of Canada. I also doubt that the IOC's decision actually caused the NHL's decision not to go (after over a decade of threatening to leave and the IIHF basically mitigating the IOC's refusal to pay insurance) but it clearly didn't help.

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
This will be great for these players. A great opportunity to showcase their skills. Some of these guys had/have high potential, but didnt get the chance to make the big show

Brownbeard

Oct 6, 2017
Yeah, it will be. It'll really suck for us not having NHL players there. I always looked forward to this tournament.

Maybe it'll still be good, though, because it'll be interesting to see how teams do without NHL talent.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
And I thought last year's "world cup" was a fiasco. It really seems as though the NHL and IOC are on a quest to turn international hockey into a complete joke.

Can you imagine soccer having the Euro Cup include a team of players whose nations didn't qualify, another team of under-24s (robbing national teams of the talent), and then having the various leagues back out of the FIFA World Cup and turning that event into a worthless collection of no-names?

No serious sport would allow that.
How does the "sport" stop it. How can "hockey" force the NHL and IOC to come to an agreement for the players to go.

Seems to me the NHL is on a quest to control the best-on-best International hockey. They have the best players under contract, well ~90% of the best players. Get rid of the 2 non-national teams and the World Cup could be a great tournament.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
You can see how much Canadian fans care about olympic hockey this go around just by this thread. Have not even filled up a page where with NHL players this would be a mile long already.

It just doesn't matter anymore does it?

What a joke that tournament is going to be no matter how many European fans will try to tell us differently.

You think the world cup was ridiculous? Wait till we get a load of the **** coming with this stinker.
I remember a few months ago reading on here that people were going to boycott watching NHL games during the Olympics.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I expect Team Canada to finish with a silver. Russia of ocurse is the odds-on favourite for a gold. In looking at the Karjala cup roster (https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/t...-18/karjala-cup/stats/team-rosters?teamid=606) , most of the roster are players who are stars in their European leagues, and the grand majority are playing in the KHL. It's a shame Nigel Dawes is now a Kazakhi, he would have been the team's best goal scorer.

Without NHL players it's going to be a pretty tight tournament. Teams that are usually minnows, like Norway and Germany will really benefit, as most of their squad isn't in the NHL to begin with. I think the only team that's going to get spanked every game is South Korea, but even they've been making progress recently (though that's mostly to do with North Americans becoming citizens). I imagine Justin Azevedo would have been selected had he not been injured. One of the more surprising ommissions is Darren Dietz, who is having an excellent season for Barys Astana. Defense looks to be somewhat of a weakness for Canada. I imagine there will be a fair number of NHL pro scouts at these games. It's a grreat platform for players who hope to return (or just make it in the first place) to the NHL

Reactions: Hagstrom

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
the team to karjala cup:

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...cup-roster-team-usa-preps-for-deutschland-cup

Screen-Shot-2017-10-27-at-11-24-51-AM.png

Reeps

Jul 27, 2017
My attempt how team Canada lineup could look like
(some of the current UFAs could join this team if they decide to play in Europe)

LW - C - RW
W.Wolski - J.Azevedo - B.Kozun
M.Ellison - D.Roy - R.Bourque
M.Raymond - N.Spaling - D.Setoguchi
D.King - K.Chipchura - M.Talbot
Extra: A.Ebbett, L.Vey, R.Klinkhammer, D.Paille, M.Lapierre, R.Garbutt, T.Beck.

LD - RD
S.Despres - K.Klein
C.Barker - M.Gragnani
C.Colaiacovo - M.Noreau
Extra: J.Schultz*, B.Bellemore, M.Kostka, D.Dietz.

G
Scrivens
Brust
McIntyre
Extra: Poulin, Irving*.

*On a AHL only deal.

Reeps

Jul 27, 2017
I know there are a lot of roster predictions out there, but I think this one is going to be pretty close. It's a combo of the CHL, KHL, SHL, NLA.

Please check it out and let me know what you think!

Reeps

Jul 27, 2017
Well, it's a regular Joe guy on the internets opinion but I question whether young kids like Suzuki,Kyrou and Mekar will be there. Can't see them taking inexperienced young guys like that but you never know.
I think the raw talent that they posses is much needed on a team of mostly washed up old guys

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think the raw talent that they posses is much needed on a team of mostly washed up old guys
Point taken but they will be going up against talented more experienced guys from russia, Finland,Sweden even Switzerland...................thats asking a lot from 18 year olds.

I doubt Hockey Canada goes this direction, it would take a Mcdavid/Crosby level prospect to get on this team at 18 I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad