Olympics: Canada Roster Discussion (Roster in post 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
Confirmed roster:

Goaltenders:
Justin Peters
Kevin Poulin
Ben Scrivens

Defensemen:
Stefan Elliott
Chay Genoway
Cody Goloubef
Marc-André Gragnani
Chris Lee
Maxim Noreau
Mat Robinson
Karl Stollery

Forwards:
Rene Bourque
Gilbert Brûlé
Andrew Ebbett
Quinton Howden
Chris Kelly
Rob Klinkhammer
Brandon Kozun
Maxim Lapierre
Eric O’Dell
Mason Raymond
Derek Roy
Christian Thomas
Linden Vey
Wojtek Wolski

Original post:

My attempt how team Canada lineup could look like
(some of the current UFAs could join this team if they decide to play in Europe)

LW - C - RW
W.Wolski - J.Azevedo - B.Kozun
M.Ellison - D.Roy - R.Bourque
M.Raymond - N.Spaling - D.Setoguchi
D.King - K.Chipchura - M.Talbot
Extra: A.Ebbett, L.Vey, R.Klinkhammer, D.Paille, M.Lapierre, R.Garbutt, T.Beck.

LD - RD
S.Despres - K.Klein
C.Barker - M.Gragnani
C.Colaiacovo - M.Noreau
Extra: J.Schultz*, B.Bellemore, M.Kostka, D.Dietz.

G
Scrivens
Brust
McIntyre
Extra: Poulin, Irving*.

*On a AHL only deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProspectsFanatic

Nov 13, 2012
René Bourque will now compete for one of the slots. He should slot in on one of the top two lines to be honest.

I had him first healthy scratch, Bourque is now 35y old and been underperforming for the last 6 years even though he was given chance to succeed (he was somewhat ok last year I guess), all things consider I think those other players could have done just as good or even better if they were given the same NHL chances. But whatever, all players on that team are pretty much as good/as trash, I still put him on the 2nd line for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: GatorDave

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not quite Crosby Mcdavid down the middle but I, for one, am excited to see amateurs play Olympic hockey again.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Scrivens

Després - Klein
Dietz - Robinson
Barker - Noreau

Wolski - Azevedo - Kozun
Vey - Talbot - Bourque
Ellison - Scott - Szczechura
Garbutt - Spaling - Raymond

lakers11

Aug 23, 2014
How can you not have Bud Holloway? He's one of the best canadians playing in europe

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
My attempt how team Canada lineup could look like
(some of the current UFAs could join this team if they decide to play in Europe)

LW - C - RW
W.Wolski - J.Azevedo - B.Kozun
M.Ellison - D.Roy - R.Bourque
M.Raymond - N.Spaling - D.Setoguchi
D.King - K.Chipchura - M.Talbot
Extra: A.Ebbett, L.Vey, R.Klinkhammer, D.Paille, M.Lapierre, R.Garbutt, T.Beck.

LD - RD
S.Despres - K.Klein
C.Barker - M.Gragnani
C.Colaiacovo - M.Noreau
Extra: J.Schultz*, B.Bellemore, M.Kostka, D.Dietz.

G
Scrivens
Brust
McIntyre
Extra: Poulin, Irving*.

*On a AHL only deal.
Fun fact:

Wojtek Wolski and Zarley Zalapski both scored 99 NHL goals. Zalapski also represented Canada at the winter Olympics when the NHL did not participate.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
"Amateurs"? You do realize that the NHL is not the only professional hockey league in the world?

it's not the 1st time he's used the term "amateurs" in referring to non-nhl professionals, and he's been corrected before, so I'm not sure he really wants to understand the distinction.

There is a big difference though between this coming Olympics and the 5 previous...

we are 5 months out from puck drop and a Team Canada roster thread has a total of 11 posts. I think by this time leading up to Sochi we were on Part III.

Good luck to the players who make it to South Korea, but I'm not planning on watching any of it.

Last edited:

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
Sean Collins will likely make it, he had more points then 80% of the players listed in this thread in the KHL last year.

He had a goal and an assist in the try out tournaments.

You guys are fast asleep

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You can see how much Canadian fans care about olympic hockey this go around just by this thread. Have not even filled up a page where with NHL players this would be a mile long already.

It just doesn't matter anymore does it?

What a joke that tournament is going to be no matter how many European fans will try to tell us differently.

You think the world cup was ridiculous? Wait till we get a load of the **** coming with this stinker.

Apr 29, 2017
Not quite Crosby Mcdavid down the middle but I, for one, am excited to see amateurs play Olympic hockey again.

Yup, can't wait for the days of Red Army domination again with all their amateur players.

Nope, best-on-best is the best.

Jakk123

May 6, 2014
Bratislava
You can see how much Canadian fans care about olympic hockey this go around just by this thread. Have not even filled up a page where with NHL players this would be a mile long already.

What a joke that tournament is going to be no matter how many European fans will try to tell us differently.

You think the world cup was ridiculous? Wait till we get a load of the **** coming with this stinker.

And what exactly are the European fans saying? I mean it's quite obvious that the tourney will be considerably worse than the IIHF WC in terms of quality of players. So yes, you could say it's going to be a joke, but what do you suggest should be done with the tourney itself? Should they cancel it or what?

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
And what exactly are the European fans saying? I mean it's quite obvious that the tourney will be considerably worse than the IIHF WC in terms of quality of players. So yes, you could say it's going to be a joke, but what do you suggest should be done with the tourney itself? Should they cancel it or what?

They have been mostly saying that the olympics are the olympics and thus is still prestigious and has great value. That is what they have been saying for the most part.

Well we are saying it isn't and we are right............it isn't.

Should they cancel the hockey in the olympics? No, but don't try to pass the hockey off in it and the gold as something special thats all.

We are not fooled.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Anyone know what the case would be for OHL-eligible guys signed to NHL deals?

For example, if the Devils send McLeod back to Mississauga, is he ineligible because he is on an NHL deal or can the Devils allow him to go?

EDIT: Also, could Blaine Byron be in the running for a spot? To me, seemed like he took an AHL deal to remain eligible for the Olympics as I don't see any other reason for doing that.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Anyone know what the case would be for OHL-eligible guys signed to NHL deals?

For example, if the Devils send McLeod back to Mississauga, is he ineligible because he is on an NHL deal or can the Devils allow him to go?

EDIT: Also, could Blaine Byron be in the running for a spot? To me, seemed like he took an AHL deal to remain eligible for the Olympics as I don't see any other reason for doing that.

I can't imagine many (any?) guys that would both be wanted both wanted by Canada and have their NHL/CHL want to release them to this tournament.

As much as we may malign the guys that are going they still are likely better than guys playing junior right now and anyone who might (say Nolan Patrick) be good enough I can't see the team wanting to risk injury at that tournament or a CHL team wanting to release them to a tournament in which the NHL isn't even supporting.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC

agreed.

The World Cup was not ridiculous. It was a bit hokey, but at the end of the day it was a best-on-best tournament.

Carter bleeping Ashton??? My God.

The NHL dropped the ball on this one, and the players should have supported Ovechkin way, way more than they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->