Team Canada 2010

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
Nash-Crosby-Iginla
E. Staal-Thornton-Cheechoo
Richards-Lecavalier-St Louis
Cammalerri-Spezza-Heatley

Where do you fit in Bergeron, Briere, Doan, Gagne, Getzlaf, Horton, Sakic, Savard, Tanguay, Marleau, J. Staal, Toews, Tavares, Stamkos, Carter, and Smyth?

Pronger-Neidermayer
Phaneuf-Weber
Campbell-Redden

Where do you fit in Brewer, M. Staal, Parent, Jackman, Phillips, Souray, Boyle, Bouwmeester, Seabrook, Hamhuis, Beauchemin, Schultz, Stuart, Regher, and Jovanovski?

Luongo
Brodeur

Where do you fit in Turco, Fleury, Price, Giguere, and Ward?

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Cammaleri? (hes not really even near the same caliber as the rest of this lineup)

Looks like an ok lineup beside that, but I doubt guys like St-Louis will get much of a shot at it this time around. Also, you have to consider that we need a grit line(at least 2 way).(Getzlaf, J. Staal, Toews?) Tavares is still hard to judge at this point, since it kinda far away. In the next 2 years a bunch of things are going change/happen as well.(Its actually 2 seasons and a half.) If Tavares is the real deal, then lets not do the 2006 mistake and lets play him with Crosby.

Goaltending, I doubt Brodeur will be there, Luongo and maybe Ward, Emery or Fleury.

Unless Price pulls a Patrick Roy for the habs...

Also we have to think about the Sakic factor.

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Well, for me, Thornton and Cheechoo don't make the cut, I know they probably will be on the team, but I personally wouldn't put them on the team. Campbell and Redden don't make the team, and Pronger and Nieds are both question marks at this point due to age. Also, Cammaleri I don't see making it, he's just not good enough in my opinion.

I think that you're smoking something pretty strong if you don't see Gagne on this team, he was on the last 2 and has been scoring pretty well of late even on a bad team. Jordan Staal will also be considered because of his abilities to kill penalties and fill a grinder role which he proved he could do this year.

On defense, you're insane if you don't put Bouwmeester and Brewer on the team. Brewer hasn't been on a losing Team Canada since 2002, since then he's won the Gold in the Olympics, and has been 3 for 3 and our best defenseman in all those years at the World Championships. Bouwmeester was the only bright spot on the blueline at the 06 Olympics, and if he's anywhere but Florida he gets Norris talk.

Tavares, well, who knows. I think every Canadian in their right mind wonders right now and at the time why Crosby wasn't in the 06 Olympics, there will be a lot of scrutiny on the 2010 selection comittee to put Tavares on the team if he is having success at the time.

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
No way Cheechoo makes that team. Thornton? He's a lock. He's the best playmaking center in the world, and he's just entering his prime. In 2010, he will be only 30 years old. Thornton, Crosby, and Spezza are absolute locks.

Canadian centers would be (in order of most likely to be on team):

Crosby
Spezza
Thornton
Sakic (if he's still playing, you bet he's on this team)
Lecavalier

Wingers? Here are some likely candidates(L for lock):
Iginla (L)
Nash (L)
Heatley (L)
Gagne
E. Staal
Doan
Smyth
Toews
Getzlaf
Horton
St. Louis

John Tavares has no chance of making this team. They are just too deep down the middle.

Defense-wise, you have locks in Pronger and Phaneuf. Weber, Bouwmeester and Niedermayer will most likely be there (Niedermayer depending on whether he's still playing). Then, you have a tossup for the last major spot. Redden, Phillips, or Brewer will be the most likely, IMO.

In goal, you simply have Brodeur and Luongo. Sorry, no one else has a chance, unless either gets injured or Brodeur retires (LOL).

Last edited:

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Heatley-Spezza-Iginla (kinda like the Pizza line in Ottawa with Iggy replacing Alfie)
Nash-Crosby-E. Staal (has the ability to be the highest scoring line)
Richards-Lecavalier-St. Louis
Smyth-Thornton-Doan

Pronger-Neidermayer
Redden-Weber
Phillips-Phaneuf

Luongo
Brodeur

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Canada A's

Sakic-Crosby-Iginla
Nash-Thornton-Staal
Doan-Lecavalier-St Louis
Gagne-Spezza-Heatley

Pronger-Neidermayer
Phaneuf-Bouwmeester
Weber-Redden

Luongo
Brodeur

Canada B's

Getzlaf - Briere - Richards
Bertuzzi - Savard - Cheechoo
Tanguay - Marleau - J. Staal
Horton- Bergeron - Smyth

Regehr - Souray
Hannan - Boyle
Brewer- Phillips

Giguere
Fleury

Canada C's

Kariya - Sullivan - Toews
Morrow Bouchard - Cammeleri
Whitney- Brind Amour - Pominville
Richards- Draper -Carter

McCabe- Jovo
Campbell - Seabrook
Parent - Hamhuis

Turco
Ward

Canada D's

Brunnette - Langkow - Dumont
Kunitz - McDonald - Perry
Horcoff - Stoll - J. Williams
Penner - Arnott- Ryder

Staal - Beauchemin
Foote - Stuart
Vlasic- Jackman

Emery
Price

Canada E's

Hartnell - Roy - Bernier
Knuble -Weiss - Murray
Lupul - Lombardi - Stillman
Vermette - Wellwood - Tucker
Tavares

Schultz - Boucher
Suter - Barker
Van Ryn - Morris

Biron
Harding

Last edited:

shawnmullin

Jul 20, 2005
Swift Current
These things are always fun. The tough part is predicting how good people will be a few years down the road.

Lecavalier - Crosby - St. Louis
Nash - Thornton - Igilna
Staal - Spezza - Heatley
Smyth - Brad Richards - Doan
Extras: Horton, Bergeron

(3 offensive machines and a very solid, physical two-way unit... this line-up is assuming Sakic is done by then... by 2010 there will likely be a few surprises)

Pronger - Phaneuff
Bouwmeester - Niedermayer
Phillips - Redden
Extra: Webber

(Phaneuff is the perfect partner for Pronger as a guy who will make some mistakes but throws huge hits and has a great shot. Hard to know how far the 3 young guys I put there will progress, but it's a safe bet they'll find their way onto the team)

Brodeur
Luongo
Extra: Turco

(As for as I'm concerned this should be our line-up of goalies until someone else pushes them out of the job)

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
I cringe at the thought of Redden on another team Canada, this guy is brutal, he has never played well in a Team Canada uniform, he's had his chances and he's blown them.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
No way Cheechoo makes that team. Thornton? He's a lock. He's the best playmaking center in the world, and he's just entering his prime. In 2010, he will be only 30 years old. Thornton, Crosby, and Spezza are absolute locks.

Canadian centers would be (in order of most likely to be on team):

Crosby
Spezza
Thornton
Sakic (if he's still playing, you bet he's on this team)
Lecavalier

Wingers? Here are some likely candidates(L for lock):
Iginla (L)
Nash (L)
Heatley (L)
Gagne
E. Staal
Doan
Smyth
Toews
Getzlaf
Horton
St. Louis

John Tavares has no chance of making this team. They are just too deep down the middle.

Defense-wise, you have locks in Pronger and Phaneuf. Weber, Bouwmeester and Niedermayer will most likely be there (Niedermayer depending on whether he's still playing). Then, you have a tossup for the last major spot. Redden, Phillips, or Brewer will be the most likely, IMO.

In goal, you simply have Brodeur and Luongo. Sorry, no one else has a chance, unless either gets injured or Brodeur retires (LOL).

And historically Team canada use 7-8 centers on their teams. I really dont see how St-Louis, Doan will be able to stay on the top 12 with Jordan S and Toews pushing. Tavares would obviously be a winger to Sid. I really think team canada learned their lesson and will go with a younger team at the olympics. Talent and actual short-term history should be a much stronger guide to select the next team than it was in 2006.

Tavares(if he plays like crosby at 18)-Crosby-Lecavalier
Nash - Thornton - Iginla
Toews- Getzlaf- Jordan Staal(Checking line?! what?)
Gagne - Spezza - Heatley

Richards, Eric Staal, Youngsters

I believe Luongo is clearly as we speak the best goaltender in the world and in 2010, one of the youngster will be easily better than Brodeur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->