Team Canada 2006 WJC summer evaluation roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
Do me a favour and contact Hockey Canada for me!

It does seem strange it's in Vancouver.

Why does it seem strange? The tourney will be in Vancouver, so why not have the summer eval. there? I mean, whether the camp is in Alberta or BC, does it really matter?

turnbuckle*

HabLover said:
1986 is definitely an off year compared to the '85's and '87's.

Compare Bergeron, Carter, Perry, Getzlaf, Stewart, Dawes, Richards, Phaneuf, Seabrook and co. to Crosby, Brule, Little, Latendresse, Cogliano, O'Marra, Bourdon, Staal, Price and co. and they start to match up pretty evenly. And thinking back I don't remember hearing too much about guys like Bergeron or Weber back in their respective 17/18 yr old years. I'm sure the '87's will have 1 or 2 guys like that pop up and surprise in a year or two.

I don't see much of a comparison after the top three or four - way more top-end depth in 1985. You can also add Bernier, Fehr, Pouliot, Coburn, Belle, Tambellini...every one of those players (minus Dawes) is/was considered to be better prospects than Cogliano, Setoguchi et al.

When you add Pouliot and Bourret to the 1986 list, there isn't a lot of difference in the 1987 and 1986's up front, especially for the 2006 WJC where Crosby won't likely be playing next year. A little more depth with the 1987's compared to the 1986's, but nowhere close to the depth there was 1985

Pouliot = Brule
Bourret = O'Marra
Chippy > Latendresse
Wolski = McArdle
Bolland = Setoguchi
Chucko = Bertram

I suspect that there will be a dozen or so 86s on next year's WJC squad. At least we won't have to worry about most if not all of them being on NHL teams.

A little disappointing not to see any 1988s invited - it looks like we're going to have a bit of a "drought" when it comes to "superstar prospects" after Crosby's graduation. If Jamie McGinn continues where he left off at the end of this season he may end up with a December invite.

I was a bit surprised not to see Letang and Pyat's names on the list after their solid contributions at the under-18s, but I suspect they'll be invited next season.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
turnbuckle said:
I don't see much of a comparison after the top three or four - way more top-end depth in 1985. You can also add Bernier, Fehr, Pouliot, Coburn, Belle, Tambellini...every one of those players (minus Dawes) is/was considered to be better prospects than Cogliano, Setoguchi et al.

When you add Pouliot and Bourret to the 1986 list, there isn't a lot of difference in the 1987 and 1986's up front, especially for the 2006 WJC where Crosby won't likely be playing next year. A little more depth with the 1987's compared to the 1986's, but nowhere close to the depth there was 1985

Pouliot = Brule
Bourret = O'Marra
Chippy > Latendresse
Wolski = McArdle
Bolland = Setoguchi
Chucko = Bertram

I suspect that there will be a dozen or so 86s on next year's WJC squad. At least we won't have to worry about most if not all of them being on NHL teams.

A little disappointing not to see any 1988s invited - it looks like we're going to have a bit of a "drought" when it comes to "superstar prospects" after Crosby's graduation. If Jamie McGinn continues where he left off at the end of this season he may end up with a December invite.

I was a bit surprised not to see Letang and Pyat's names on the list after their solid contributions at the under-18s, but I suspect they'll be invited next season.

Aren't they usually at a U18 around that time?

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
HabLover said:
Why does it seem strange? The tourney will be in Vancouver, so why not have the summer eval. there? I mean, whether the camp is in Alberta or BC, does it really matter?

Hockey Canada is based out of Father David Bauer Arena in NW Calgary. Typically they hold all their summer camps there, right from U-18 to World Championship teams.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
turnbuckle said:

Pouliot = Brule
Bourret = O'Marra
Chippy > Latendresse
Wolski = McArdle
Bolland = Setoguchi
Chucko = Bertram

Tambellini is an '84.

Canada's '85's vs the '87's are comparable. Break it down if you like, especially if you start bringing in guys like Bernier.

Why, when you are comparing the '86's and the '87's, you are using who will and won't be at the WJC next year? When comparing the talent level at the 1986 year and 1987 year, it is not even close!

no Gino

May 16, 2005
HabLover said:
Yes, all the top '88's will be at the U18 World Junior Cup, in I believe, the Czech Republic or perhaps Slovakia?

Are only 88s eligible or are late 87 able to go as well?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Boo ya, Chucko and Boyd.

Really suprised to see Setoguchi not on the list.. I am sure he will be added when all is said and done.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Glad to see Dubnyk and Reddox there from and Oiler fan POV.

Hopefully they can be impact players during the camp, both had great seasons last year

eddy

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Solid list, definetly won't be as good as last years team, especailly if Crosby is playing NHL, but should be a good team.
Was anyone expecting Yellowhorn to make the list? or would he mostly get a chance when he's 19.

SPORTSMANIAC

Nov 15, 2004
Lewiston, Maine
mvn.com
Chad Denny!? He is a decent major junior player but will he be good enough to play in the WJC? I don't think he will be invited in Dec. He might with Clem Jodain as an assistant but maybe Clem would think if Lewiston is in the thick of things in the Q he would want his one of his top defense men to stay in Lewiston. Or an injury that comes up in Lewiston because Lewiston is an injury prone team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->