WC: Team Austria

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Great to stay up. Both and exciting and a momentous occasion, and well-deserved.

However, we need to keep looking ahead. As is customary, once the win came to a close you had your people say "All Hail God King Bader", which is silly in my opinion. Some suddenly forgot that for the most of the rest of the tournament we were defensively and offensively inept.

This tournament really demonstrated how much more work remains to be done. Start with the top line. Schneider-Hundertpfund-Ganahl. This line didn't really get going much throughout the tournament and, no shock, because it's not really a first line. Peter Schneider is an elite ECHL player. Hundertpfund is a 3rd line center in our league. Manuel Ganahl's clip in our league was something like 2 points in 3 games. Not elite guys. Our 1D was Clemens Unterweger. Other teams clearly have top lines that are significantly beyond his ability to defend. Our second line had Hofer-Komarek-Raffl or Lebler-Raffl-Hofer. Komarek really struggled throughout the tournament except in the last two periods Belarus game and the first two periods of the Slovakia game. He's a solid guy but probably not someone to build a top 6 line around. Lebler has shown more or less that he's the cliche "big fish in a small pond." Hofer was truly atrocious throughout the tournament, he legitimately had less utility than Spannring and Obrist. I feel sorry for Ambri Piotta. They've acquired a player with speed, energy, and apparently not much else. Zwerger-Rauchenwald-Haudum. This line looked good and it was probably the best line throughout the entire tournament. Haudum and Rauchenwald could get heavier. Haudum struggled to finish chances. Zwerger was incredibl...y under-utilized, he was elite with the time he had. Rauchenwald was pretty good, but could be smarter with his chances. Of course, if they're young you must sit them... The fourth line was fine. With luck we will not need them anymore.

Defensively, Viveiros was pretty good throughout. Ulmer was good against Belarus. Schumnig was good against France. The only real pieces I would want to keep moving foward are Viveiros and Ulmer.

Next year we could see the debut of some talented athletes, but not really a 1C or 1D like we need. Bernd Wolf, Mario Huber, perhaps Henrik Neubauer. Watch out for some of the youth though, Kele Steffler, Julian Payr, David Maier, Niklas Wurschl defensive help may be coming.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
If Denmark with fewer than 5000 registered ice-hockey players is able to ice a competitive team each year (without getting in danger of relegation) I see no reason why Austria (>9000 players) shoudln't be able to do that. I'm sure there is enough talent but I'm also pretty sure that they won't develop enough if they are getting through the Austrian youth-system, at least not with the quality it has now. Get those young players to Switzerland (for the first step), Sweden, Finland and Canada. And Austria will automatically get better in a few years.
It seems that with Rossi you get another high-end talent. We'll see if he goes to Canada or stays in Switzerland next season.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If Denmark with fewer than 5000 registered ice-hockey players is able to ice a competitive team each year (without getting in danger of relegation) I see no reason why Austria (>9000 players) shoudln't be able to do that. I'm sure there is enough talent but I'm also pretty sure that they won't develop enough if they are getting through the Austrian youth-system, at least not with the quality it has now. Get those young players to Switzerland (for the first step), Sweden, Finland and Canada. And Austria will automatically get better in a few years.
It seems that with Rossi you get another high-end talent. We'll see if he goes to Canada or stays in Switzerland next season.
Austria is in that mid-tier trap, and you can't get out of it until your domestic league becomes decent enough that it can pump out talent on its own. A couple of decades ago Germany was there, Switzerland used to play in the B pool as well. They have broken through now.

Moving your prospects out of the country is a solution for smaller nations without many pro teams. Once you have an established league, the clubs want to keep their talent to themselves.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Once you have an established league, the clubs want to keep their talent to themselves.
This is basically it. Teams fight agents to keep players. No athlete wants to travel across the globe to play when you can stay at home and have the delusion that the path you're on is viable. Meanwhile, the system chokes out young talents through the excessive amount of competition with foreign imports.

I'm writing a piece for AuthockeyTX though on 2022 Predictions and I'm pretty optimistic. I think we have a good thing going. My optimism may be completely blind, but after an extended drought, some of our better generations should be ready to run.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
There are reasons to be optimistic, indeed. And with Italy or GB in the group next year avoiding relegation again is a achievable goal. And if you want to get better you have to play at this level. And offer the young players a perspective.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Congrats to Austria. Appears to be the first time since 2003 that they have managed to avoid relegation at the top division, that's a good accomplishment.

Also, they've played their hearts out today - what a great result vs. the highly touted Czechs! :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad