TEAM 1200 in Ottawa latest to talk about players revolt

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJD Jester

Nov 14, 2003
DC
www.njdevilsbook.com
PeterSidorkiewicz said:
I can't believe Team1200 let Eklund on and actually called him EKLUND. I was cracking up every time they actually used the name "Eklund" to talk to him.

Now that's one of the funniest things I've heard in a while.

Did they refer to him as "a mysterious blogger who goes by the name of Eklund?"

Maybe they think it's really Pelle? :dunce:

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
For those still up who care, it's www.team1200.com -

I live in Detroit, and listened to 1270 all day. Yzerman came on the air and basically said he felt it would be done in two days. His phone was literally ringing off the hook throughout the interview (phone interview, his other line kept going). Players calling players.

Here's hoping.

two out of three*

I'm still up.. I'll be up all night. I want to know what happens. I love the NHL too much.

hockeymistress

Oct 9, 2004
TouchMyBertuzzi said:
For those still up who care, it's www.team1200.com -

I live in Detroit, and listened to 1270 all day. Yzerman came on the air and basically said he felt it would be done in two days. His phone was literally ringing off the hook throughout the interview (phone interview, his other line kept going). Players calling players.

Here's hoping.

If Yzerman himself said those words, print media like TSN and Sportsnet would be all over it with stories that reported that "..as Steve Yzerman told 1270 in Detroit today." As soon as they confirmed it with the station, they'd run it.

You must have "mis-heard him"

H.

Oil_slick9416*

well this certainly is a rumour that seems plausible...but is it real?

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
hockeymistress said:
If Yzerman himself said those words, print media like TSN and Sportsnet would be all over it with stories that reported that "..as Steve Yzerman told 1270 in Detroit today." As soon as they confirmed it with the station, they'd run it.

You must have "mis-heard him"

H.

From the Detroit News:

Heck, Yzerman isn't even convinced the season is dead for good, despite the dual news conferences from Bettman and union executive director Bob Goodenow confirming it. Both sides are getting hammered and both deserve it for the labor dispute that blew apart a $2.1 billion league.

"I wouldn't be surprised by anything now," he said. "I haven't talked to anyone behind the scenes, but I still think, seeing where we left off, there's a deal to be made. I think there's still an opportunity to reach an agreement. I just think we should wait and see what transpires over the next day or two. Maybe I'm completely wrong and this thing is totally done."

http://www.detnews.com/2005/wings/0502/17/A01-92566.htm

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
I'll give some more things I mis-heard ... hah, as I listen to ottawa radio, they're quoting him now, anyway. Thanks for researching before you just assumed I was wrong there.

This is the radio site: http://www.wxyt.com/ - they put up excerpts. They have not done so yet for Stevie

Yzerman also was asked directly, directly, if he would accept a 42.5 million dollar cap. He stated very diplomatically that if the players union were to put it to a vote or to ask him, that would be the time for his opinion.

As I continue listening to team 1200, they're making way too much of a deal about what he said. They started off with a rumor about 450 players possibly pushing for a vote, and their big hinge is Yzerman's comments? He didn't say that much.

Oh. He also didn't say if he was retiring. He said he has pride, if he plays again it will be because he can perform.

two out of three*

Chandler55 said:
Hey its the guy from newbury park!!! :handclap: :handclap:

i h eard the letter hahaah

I hope they review our proposal..

I feel stupid though, I just gave Eklunds name about 5 more minutes of air time. :shakehead

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
I wonder what the real Pelle Eklund thinks about this guy using his name. It's not like he's dead or anything, in fact he played in the SEL as late as 6 years ago.

Anyway. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a player revolt. Reverend Goodenow don't take kindly to those who leads his sheep astray.

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
Riddarn said:
Anyway. I wouldn't get my hopes up for a player revolt. Reverend Goodenow don't take kindly to those who leads his sheep astray.

The real reason for a loss of hope is the fact 1200 is using Larry Brooks as a source.

Munchausen

TouchMyBertuzzi said:
The real reason for a loss of hope is the fact 1200 is using Larry Brooks as a source.

Except Brooks is a PA mouthpiece. I don't see why he'd come up with that unless he was pretty sure. He's out to defend the union. This news would imply the union is collapsing. I don't know. I'm not hopeful for a season, but everyone with half a brain can realize the players will never get an other deal close to the NHL's last offer. So what's more important to them? Their pride? Their wallet? Hmm...

Mats

Jul 27, 2003
Visit site
everyone with half a brain can realize the players will never get an other deal close to the NHL's last offer. So what's more important to them? Their pride? Their wallet? Hmm...

And yet it gets to this point. There's only one explanation - they were playing chicken and Gary wasn't.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Bettman won the war, thats all there is to it. People think, its all bleak for the future when they are wrong. The union is cracked, NHLPA can deny it all they want. You could tell by Schneider's tone on TSN. He knew when Iginla and Pronger went behind their back they were screwed. There will be a deal by June in my opinion and the draft will be held. I don't even know if Goodnow will last till the draft. Owners are in cruise control right now and will milk the players all for what they are worth.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Wow, team1200 just said that there are rumors that the players are organizing against Goodnow and have 450 players allready. I don't believe that number but I do believe there are alot of people

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
yeah and their are two new hosts... and they said, that the season is over and that they don´t have any faith in those rumors... ok, it´s still early in canada, i forgot about that, let´s see... but if there aren´t any new rumors in the next few hours, i seriously doubt that something is up!

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I am not saying a season will be saved. I have no faith in that. I do beleive that the union cracked though. Thats what I am trying to get out there.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Jason MacIsaac said:
Wow, team1200 just said that there are rumors that the players are organizing against Goodnow and have 450 players allready. I don't believe that number but I do believe there are alot of people

The numbers are not unbelievable (which is not to say they are true just possible). This thing has been going on for 6 months, the players would know amoungst themselves who feels the same way. They would have been grumbling and mumbling for quite some time. But they are good union members so they'd have backed their union bretheren during the talks for the sake of solidarity. Solidarity would be under great pressure now the talks have ended and its time for a head count.

I wouldn't be surprised by 450, thats just 30 phonecalls, one from each disgruntled group to know who is standing where at that club. The players have had months to work where they stand and how many there are.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
This whole time I've been wondering why the majority of the players (who make less than the average salary, because the median salary is several thousand dollars below the average) are letting the big money guys drag them along and into potential financial ruin. The guys who can least afford this sort of situation are being held captive by the highest earners. Surely they would begin to question if their loyalty has been misplaced.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Tekneek said:
The guys who can least afford this sort of situation are being held captive by the highest earners. Surely they would begin to question if their loyalty has been misplaced.

I've disagreed with you in other places, but I agree with this. Robert Esche has already come out and public speculate why he lost $775K (as he is the lowest paid starting goalie in the league). Hopefully he leads the charge in the fight for the little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad