Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
As bad as this trade is, keeping McDonagh and signing him to an 8 year $7 million AAV (Vlasic) would have been an even bigger mistake.

And I'm not just saying this because we traded him. I got into some pretty heated discussions on our board over the summer regarding them thinking McDonagh was a top 10 defensemen in the league and said the same things then I'll say now.

McDonagh is living hard off the reputation he earned with his play in 2012-2014. He looked like a sure fire perennial Norris contender. But we haven't seen anything close to that McDonagh since. I actually miss that McDonagh dearly.

He also was always hurt come playoff time for a reason. 2014 shoulder injury. 2015 broken foot. 2016 broken hand.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...een-the-lines.2403471/page-295#post-140451475

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...ween-the-lines.2403471/page-45#post-137446761

Bump. It's shocking how much McDonagh has fallen off compared to his 2014 Mac f***ing truck heyday

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Klaus3154

Apr 22, 2018
New York
Well, there's always next year to get that second round pick bumped up to a first.

Was hoping the Bolts won it this year then tanked next year so we get a better pick, maybe even miss the playoffs and have a potential lottery pick like when the Kings missed the playoffs the year after winning the Cup.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Bump. It's shocking how much McDonagh has fallen off compared to his 2014 Mac ****ing truck heyday
Why is it shocking? A player who was playing at elite levels was run into the ground was carrying around a slow footed aging dman in girardi (hello Keith/Seabrook)
McD came out of a system sacrificing the body right into a system where the coached leans on veterans and not trusting youth. Yet you want to knock the player for taking a step back or getting hurt

Not to mention AVs flawed D system pressuring high zone and in low danger areas leading to prime scoring chances for the opposition once they chip through it

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Hoping we trade McD for assets and then flip said assets along with Sergachev and other pieces to get Erik Karlsson.

I think TB will be all in to get him at the draft / off season now. Vegas will cool off pursuing him, especially if they win a cup here without him.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Hoping we trade McD for assets and then flip said assets along with Sergachev and other pieces to get Erik Karlsson.

I think TB will be all in to get him at the draft / off season now. Vegas will cool off pursuing him, especially if they win a cup here without him.

Wait.......now Sergachev is available? Stay the course. EK is not the course.

Reactions: haveandare

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Liking this trade more and more for the Rangers. I hated this at the time but Howden is a seriously underrated prospect and Rangers brass seems to think they have a top pairing dman in Hajek (not saying I agree, I see him more as a 4D but Gorton has a great eye for prospects) we also got 28th overall+conditional 2nd that's a first if TBL win cup. Miller apparently has character problems that's why he was moved, they didn't want to commit to McD long term and saw his drop in play coming. Still a good trade for both teams, Tampa has a shot at the cup next year as well. Namestnikov will probably be flipped but I wouldn't mind if he's kept.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL

I'd love to bring in Karlsson, but not at the expense of Sergachev. That kid is going to be bloody fantastic. Even this series against Washington, he was quietly having an amazing series. How many times he made clean clear cut passes out of trouble, striped players of the puck to transition it to our forwards. This kid is going to be a beast. We should plan on keeping him long term.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Wait, what happened to the whole McDonagh would have put the Leafs over the top narrative?
Didn't you hear? Tampa Bay lost! That means McDonagh's value dropped to being less than what the Rangers received now. Tampa couldn't score for 2 games straight but at least we can blame "passionless" McDonagh for not helping Tampa!

As for the trade, it all rides on how Howden and Hajek pan out for us. Who knows, maybe most of the players in this trade gets flipped.

Reactions: The List Of Jericho

BringBackLibertys

Oct 10, 2007
Middlesex, NC
I love how people are ready to flip this and that to bring in Karlsson. Come on guys, this team was one win away from the finals, I don't think they need to make many major changes, just a tweak here or there. The trade was good for both sides.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Looks like Scooby and the gang finally ripped McD's mask off.

Pretty happy the Leafs didn't pony up what Rangers fans wanted (Marner, KK, Lily and a 1st :laugh:)

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
So if Tampa wins last night this is a good trade, but after getting shut out in back to back games its a terrible trade?

Ya'll daft.

Reactions: biturbo19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->