Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Maybe he will be motivated on a new team with a chance to win a cup. If he can produce a nice rest of season and playoffs that increases his value for his next contract. Which is conveniently this summer. I think as long as he puts the effort forward, his size and skill is something our team will be thrilled to have.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Miller with his first goal in TB today. I can see what Ny fans say about him. He can be a bit of a floater sometimes and then turns it on. I like his game when he’s on though. Hopefully he can become more consistent as a member of Tb.

Yeah, he'll have a stretch of really good games and then disappear for a long stretch of time. You figured he'd have matured by now, but hasn't.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The other thing someone else posted. We accomplished what we set out to. We have 3 1sts this year:

So a recap of the 2018 Firesale:

OUT

McDonagh
Nash (50% ret)
Miller
Grabner
Holden

IN

2018 1st (BOS)
2018 1st (TB)
2018 2nd (NJD)
2018 3rd (BOS)
2019 7th
Conditional 2nd (TB) (1st if TB wins cup next 2 seasons)
Namestnikov
Spooner
Howden
Lindgren
Rykov
Hajek
Belesky (50% ret)

13 players for 5.

This is the way NY should look at the trade deadline. They are set to make a nice quick rebuild and you know they will use free agency too. I think we will hear about the Rangers again in the not too distant future.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL

Richard Banger

Mamba Mentality
Sep 29, 2017
Was Oklahoma now Texas
yeah, the deal is actually fine for NY.

however mcd puts tampa with as good a shot as anyone to win the cup this year

win-win deal, though maybe a slightly bigger win for tampa bay

(not losing serg or foote was huge)
Currently a slightly bigger win for tampa. But maybe in 2 to 3 years it could very well be a Rangers win.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If Tampa wins a cup and Howden,Hajek and the 1st rd pick(s) pan out, its a win-win for both teams.

Especially if Tampa wins the Cup and that follows that up with a hangover wreck of a season and serves us up with a nice lotto pick in 2019.

After all Tampa did go from a 1-0 loss to Boston in Game 7 of the ECF to drafting 10th OA the following season and then Drouin 3rd OA

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
NYR have it easy. They can sell off assets whenever they want and replenish in the offseason, because there's always a lineup in FA wanting to sign with them.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
Especially if Tampa wins the Cup and that follows that up with a hangover wreck of a season and serves us up with a nice lotto pick in 2019.

After all Tampa did go from a 1-0 loss to Boston in Game 7 of the ECF to drafting 10th OA the following season and then Drouin 3rd OA
tbf that was boucher

look at this seasons sens to see what i mean

Stasis

Mad Decent
Oct 25, 2009
NYC & MTL
NYR have it easy. They can sell off assets whenever they want and replenish in the offseason, because there's always a lineup in FA wanting to sign with them.

While we have had a slight edge and managed to sign guys, it's really not always desirable for us as fans...

I mean, look at how many we nabbed and how they panned out over the last 10 years. How many guys want to end their career in NYC but it just ends up being mediocre for us, as a team. Or how many NCAA FAs have interest but NJD grabbed the best one in recent history! NYC in general is a very attractive location. So is Montreal, as a place to live, but NYC is NYC and there's less media pressure, too. I believe a competitive NJD team (like we're now seeing) and NYI team (like I suspect we'll see soon, especially if Tavares sticks around) will be just as attractive. MTL would be right up there without the insane media and the current WTF'ery going on. The French thing is a turn off to many, I suspect, and that's actually ramped up in recent years unbelievably. TOR will attract a lot. Another great city imo, though not as great as MTL/NYC but none of the Franco stuff and a franchise that's clearly turning itself around vs. regressing like the Habs. We'll see how many still want to join NYR as our rebuild advances. That will certainly have an impact, and that's where NJD and NYI can be great options for guys who love the area.

I think Vegas will benefit from that. Seattle could. Lots of great places to play for guys who are pursued by many teams. But yes, I do know NYC in general is a huge draw. You can play for any of the three teams and still walk around downtown without getting mobbed. And there's a lot more respect from the media. That helps. Hampers the big Canadian teams/cities.

edit: On-Topic = I'm a fan of Miller in general. I think he really plays to win and gets frustrated (probably too frustrated) with a losing atmosphere, which I do recognize is undesirable from a coach's perspective and can mess with a room. But if he can use that drive/passion on a winning team like Tampa where the room is already solid, that's good energy. I do understand now, to a degree (NY is very hush hush...), why he was offered and it wasn't working out. I just don't see him having that same issue in Tampa. At least not this season.

And McD is McD. Likely a weird adjustment, but man that's such a luxury to have for the playoffs if he's settled... Having one or more of Hedman, Stralman and McD on the ice at ALL times... makes it real hard to match-up offensively deep teams to you. You've got both the O and the D depth. Balanced. Should be real interesting to see.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Tampa wins a cup and Howden,Hajek and the 1st rd pick(s) pan out, its a win-win for both teams.
Its looking as Namestikov is a good piece to have (making Miller/Names basically a wash maybe slight advantage TB) so even if one of the Howden, Hajek or first round Really pan out its still a win win.
Especially if its Hajek cause the Rangers seem extremely high on him.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
This is the way NY should look at the trade deadline. They are set to make a nice quick rebuild and you know they will use free agency too. I think we will hear about the Rangers again in the not too distant future.
Would not surprise me if two years from now the rangers are back in the playoffs if they do this right

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Would not surprise me if two years from now the rangers are back in the playoffs if they do this right

Sign Kovalchuk and Tavares and we right back in this *****.

Whether Islander fans, Habs fans, Leafs fans , Wings fans or whoever else like it or not, whenever a big name is set for UFA you best believe the Rangers are going to be in the mix.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its looking as Namestikov is a good piece to have (making Miller/Names basically a wash maybe slight advantage TB) so even if one of the Howden, Hajek or first round Really pan out its still a win win.
Especially if its Hajek cause the Rangers seem extremely high on him.

From what I've seen of Miller, I think he's an improvement for us. Or I guess what I mean is, I think he's a better fit to complement the guys we already have. He's also shown already that he has a knack for spotting the open man up ice, which, given our love for the lob pass, is probably gonna serve him well.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

That's why, in my humble opinion, a rebuild in NY will not be the same as a rebuild in Buffalo or Edmonton.

The key component is getting the draft picks right.

It's an added element (the money factor) that a lot of other teams do not have that many Rangers fans often fail to acknowledge.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Tampa won this one clear and square.

From a Tampa perspective yeah because they didn't give up Sergachev or Point. Maybe there was a split second when I saw Miller was also involved in the trade that I really thought there was a chance we would get one of them and I'm sure a lot of Rangers fans thought the same thing and that led to a lot of emotional knee jerk reactions. A lot of ignorance on what type of player Namestnikov was too.

My ask for McDonagh was always Howden, Foote and Raddysh. In the end is that far off from what we ended up getting? Especially when you consider Gorton wanted Hajek over Foote. The picks even out with Raddysh. Maybe Gorton preferred the picks so he could use one to move up in the draft?

we've been burned badly by handing out big money long term contracts to players the age McDonagh will be when it's time for him to get his. Between Redden, Gomez Drury, Richards, Staal and Girardi I'm glad JG finally learned his lesson.

Maybe McDonagh will magically revert back to the 2012-14 Norris Mactruck now that he's in Tampa. It clearly wasn't going to happen here. It's been all downhill since he got that C. The pressure might have just been too much for him. Probably traumatized that he almost killed Zucc. Almost killed Hank.

It's one step backwards, two step forwards.

Last edited:

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Tampa won, but that doesn't mean New York didn't get good pieces. In a vacuum, New York obviously is on a better track for a quick rebuild than without the trade. The reason Tampa won is that New York should have expected more for the two players they gave up (I'd argue they ended up short a first round pick from expected trade value).

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Apparently Rangers think Hajek will be a top dman, they're extremely high on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->