Confirmed Trade: [TBL/NYR] R. McDonagh, J. Miller for V. Namestnikov, B. Howden, L. Hajek, 2018 1st, c. 1st/2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I get what Machinehead is trying to say and I agree to an extent. Not every first rounder is a sure-fire bet to become someone like Kreider, who I still think can grow a little. I think he could be a consistent 30+ goal 50-60 point guy if the coach is tough with him and doesn't allow him to coast like he does at times. While AV helped get Kreider to the level he's at, I feel like a good coach can bring out the rest of his strengths and maybe he can take that next step.

I just feel like there's more to Kreider than what he's given. It's just a matter of having the right guy at the reigns to get that out of him.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Key to this deal is not the picks. It's Hajek and Howden. IMO, Howden projects as a better player than Miller. Miller is lazy and always has been. He's also been dumb with turnovers his entire career. Howden at worst will be come a 20-20, 3rd line player who dominates on draws, scores clutch goals in the playoffs and almost never makes a mistake defensively. Miller is what you call a dumb 55 point player.

Hajek might not become McDonagh but if he's a top 3 defenseman which most scouts believe he will be, the trade is a huge win for NY. McDonagh is going to get 8+ million a year from now. Rangers will control Hajek for years on an affordable contract.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last I looked a few days ago Tampa had the Caps on the ropes up 3 games to 2--having won 3 in a row. Then they let them come off the ropes instead of beating them down.

So am I to infer here over the last several pages that the reason why Tampa lost the series was because of McDonagh and Miller?---because it seems to me that you win as a team and you lose as one and when you're getting your ass shut out two games in a row and you're looking where to apportion the blame IMO the best place to start would be with your leaders. McDonagh as a Tampa player may be construed as a leader I suppose but not really the same way as Victor Hedman and Miller certainly as a player is capable of adding offense but he's not really Stamkos or Kucherov is he? Just saying. Shut completely down two games in a row reflects on them too and even more so.

It's what it is now. A missed opportunity. And McD was probably playing hurt anyway.

As far as the deal looks now--WTF--Tampa has control over Miller if they want to exercise it. He's an RFA--long term deal, short term deal, move him--Stevie Y's call on that. McDonagh after next season I suspect is going to want a better contract than Yzerman will be willing to give him. We shall see. To me Tampa made the deal simply to accentuate their chances of winning the Cup this year and next year. It was a short term--give it your best shot deal and Yzerman stepped up like so many others wouldn't. I'll give him respect for that. IMO Toronto didn't take a shot---maybe they will next year--maybe not---maybe Toronto will always be too afraid. I don't care---not my team and neither is Tampa. I would have preferred Tampa win just to get their 2019 1st. I like all of McDonagh, Girardi, Stralman, Miller and Callahan but not enough that I actually root or watch them play for another team.

We're in the process of doing something else--some of the players we got out of the deal will probably work out very well and some of them maybe not. IMO it was the right time for us to be doing that though--you're not going to stay on top forever and if you keep on stringing things out further and further sooner or later you'll have a major collapse. The Rangers pulled up short of the major collapse. It might take them a few years to become a real contender again but IMO they're not going to hit rock bottom and IMO they're going to be a lot more competitive team next year even if it doesn't reflect that way in the standings. So as a Rangers fan I'm upbeat. As for Tampa--win it next year then--we need that first....and stop whining about the deal.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I think the deal was necessary for both teams and they both did well respectively. The Rangers got 4 pieces for McD and Names for Miller. They apparently got a guy they really wanted in Hajek.

There was no fleecing. Because fans expected player A or B as a return and that didn't happen only illustrates that fans are not GM's and have no clue what those GM's are actually thinking. The more time moves on, the more I personally think this was a really good move for a rebuilding NYR team.

Last edited:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Miller looked so good after we acquired him. I dont understand how he went so cold in the playoffs. I remember Rangers fans saying the same things. Not a good thing for him if he wants a lot of money on his next deal.

That’s basically Miller . He’s going to look great at times then disappear

He’s a good player just inconsistent

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I’m loving all of these rangers fans now bragging they won this deal. Just shows how off some of you are with regards to your own players values.

Won’t know who won the deal till prospects develop

McD has one more shot as Tbay won’t be able to sign him after next year

Reactions: The Macho Man
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad